Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

No Response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: No Response

Charles,
    If you ever figure out what is going on, I would like to hear about it.
    I just put V6 on a brand new XP box. Downloaded the updates, put my database routines in place.
    All I do is import from flat files, mash the dbf's together, then export back out to another set of flat files.
    The import works fine.
    The export start off just fine. As soon as I open another window, or switch windows, or click anywhere on the Alpha 4 program, it LOOKS like it locks up. The counter stops running, hour glass on the screen, and then I get the "Not Responding" in the Title Bar.
    When I check the Task Manager, the Applications Tab says Alpha 5 not responding. But the Processes Tab shows alpha5.exe going like crazy. When I do "properties" on the file being exported, it keeps growing in size.
    So.. it Alpha 5 is still actually running.. it just doesn't look like it is. Quite aggravating.

Neal

Comment

Neal,

Are you running these separate operations in one continuous script?

Have you disabled opportunistic locking in XP ?

-- t

Comment

Tom,

The operations are seperate (the imports are in one macro, the exports are in another).

I looked at the locking you spoke of.
        According to MS, it can be disabled here:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters\OplocksDisabled
        REG_DWORD 0 or 1
        Default: 0 (not disabled)

The key was not in my registry at that place (I did not find "Oplocks" anywhere in the registry), so I added a new key with a value of "1".
        Rebooted, ran the exports again, got the same thing.

Am I turning off the locking at the right place?

Thanks,
        Neal

Comment

Neal,

I'm sorry to say I'm not an expert on the inner workings of the XP registry.

Suggest you break the imports down and do them separately by hand.

Ditto for the exports.

One at a time. Slow and easy.

Do they work correctly?

-- t

Comment

Just a thought, but is it possible you have virus protection software that is kicking in a scan during long periods of inactivity? Also, you might want to check scheduled tasks in the control panel for a similar situation.

Finally, when happens, check your task manager and sort by CPU usage and/or memory usage to see if some other program is eating up resources. Despite you best efforts, it's quuite possible spyware can sneak in there. Ebate is one that has been of particular annoyance to me.

Comment

I tried what Tom Cone mentioned in turning off Oportunistic Locking, but that didn't solve the problem for me either.

The guys at Alpha say they are running XP and have had no problems. I'm getting it on two XP machines and with all of my A5 programs. I've found that it happens only if I leave an A5 program maximized on the screen and then walk away allowing the XP screen saver to kick in.

If I stop the screen saver I do not have problems, nor does it happen when just the control panel is showing rather than an app.

I too get the massive CPU running for A5, along with the Not Responding error. This tells me that A5 is running some process or other that the OS has determined to be "looping".

That's the extent of what I've been able to find out so far. It's troublesome, but I'm working around it.

Charlie

Comment

Mel,

Thanks, but these problems came to my mind early on and were eliminated. The CPU that A5 runs is generally at the top of the list and I have a gig of ram.

Any other thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie

Comment

Well,
                  Found out even worse news. The imports and exports (running seperately) do the same thing as the macros. I just have to check faster. I still get the "Not Responding", even though it is actually working at what it should be doing.
                  When the macro hits the next operation, the A5 control panel comes back, until you change the focus again, even if just changing focus to the Task Manager!
                  I have tried just about everything. I did notice that a lot of the Options that needed to be Yes or No, were blank. Ok, set all of those to something.. same results.

Like Charles says.. it can be worked around.
                  All I use A5 for is to do massive record processing, so it is not such a big deal for me.
                  As far as anything else running on the system and getting in the way. Well, there is nothing else running except XP.
                  Task Manager shows A5, and the "System Idle Process" as the only things taking up CPU useage. This is a brand spankin new XP box, and it's only mission in life is to run Alpha 5.

I am starting to think there has got to be something that is not initialize correctly when A5 is first installed. I did move the entire database, the routines, everything over to the new box after installing A5 on it.
                  The only way to see if this is the problem would be to build some new routines from scratch on that box, and see what it does.

I'll let you know.

Neal

Comment

Neal,

One thing you have mentioned in passing and may need to understand is about the OS. XP is patterned after DEC DCL or the old, but very trustworthy Dec Command Programming Language. It the system that is in wide use around the world running VAX/VMS systems. The reason it was used was to keep the system up and running without the need for a reboot, which is what you commonly see in the PC based systems such as DOS. Win95, Win98, Win2K and now XP have helped take the original DOS architecture in that direction in order to provide greater stability.

When I was a lead systems engineer for the VMS systems, it was common to have "looping" processes in the machines. These were picked up by the system as the same set of code hitting the CPU over and over again. That being said, if your program is running through iterations of processes all of which are basically the same, XP will see them as looping. Once they are identified, XP may show the application as "Not Responding" when in fact it is just grinding away at what you asked it to do.

You can do a couple of things. First, clean up your code and try to get it to work more efficiently. Second, you can "wait it out" which is what you described you did. If the code is correct, i.e. it's not adding 10,000 records to your 100 record dbf or doing some other crazy thing and you have it optimized in that the looping you are asking it to go through is proper, then that's all you can do.

You may want to have someone on the forum look over your code to see if there are ways to speed it up or perhaps, write the progress to an indicator so you could see it is working. The progress meter is a good idea because it shows different code to the CPU and will sometimes stop the "Not Responding" error.

Good luck and hang in there. A5 is still the best bang for your buck!

Charlie

Comment

Charlie,

Thanks for the feedback.
                      It is definitely doing what I am asking it to do.. no problem there. The imports and exports run just fine, I just can't tell how far they have gotten.
                      It may very well be that XP is just "confused" that it keeps doing the same thing, and shows the program as "Not Responding". Still, I would think it should be able to keep the A5 Control Panel going with the counters down at the bottom!
                      There really isn't any "code" that I wrote, it was all just selecting various operations. "Import these, make a data set, export it." No real programming involved, nothing fancy at all. I wouldn't have a clue on how to even put the "progress bar" on the screen, or if it would even help. Figuring out the "bells and whistles" is for future consideration.

Thanks again,

Neal

Comment

Neal,

If your main problem is keeping track of the progress,
                        you might want to consider using the PROFILER_BEGIN() &
                        PROFILER_END() functions.

Or better yet, try the Addin.run("audit_trail"), which gives
                        you an ascii file output of updates.

Search for "audit" in the xbasic .chm

Comment

If you tried using Alpha Sports and it still happens, I might consider looking at changing the screen saver. I assume you havre to sign in again when the screen saver kicks in. Wht if you turn that feature off?

Jim

Comment

Doesn't happen. That's the workaround. But I can't ask all my users to do this because of the security it provides.

Charlie

Comment

This probably has nothing to do with it but have you tried checking to see if you have the latest video driver. I recently got a new bigger LCD monitor, plugged it in and A4v6 (not A5) and some other DOS apps that I use showed a screen without any text. There were no other changes so this should not have happened. Got a newer video driver, problem solved.

Might be worth a check if you haven't.

Russ

Comment

Charlie,

Just out of curiosity, are you using the default screen saver that comes with XP? Have you tried using one that is not supplied by MS?

If my screensaver comes on, when I move the mouse I too get a white screen, but only for a second or two then A5 comes back in as normal. I sometimes get this when I have switched to IE and back again also, but again only for a second or two.

--Jerry Gray

Comment

Working...
                                X