Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Import/Export Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import genie setup

Originally posted by Kevin G. Timberlake
    Because you CANNOT import using the runtime, only the full version of Alpha. As for "append" you must have it done from a .dbf which is the issue. By appending a .dbf all fields are over written and you cannot export a .dbf.

I don't see why this is so complicated. "How do I import an .asc file into an "existing" form or .dbf without writing over existing fields? I just want to import the records not fields.
    Does yours look anything like this?
    Last edited by Stan Mathews; 03-28-2006, 03:24 PM.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews
      Does yours look anything like this?
      No it doesn't!?! But that looks like what I need. How do I try it? Will it work with the runtime?
      Kevin G. Timberlake
      Marvel Illusions

Comment

Is there a way to have the end user is able to pick where to find the file to import? C:\?? or D:\?? If they have the file downloaded from me to, say, C:\Downloads, but others have it downloaded to D:\received. In operations, as I understand it, it must be configured to point to a specific location, which is imposible since some use D:\ and others use C:\
        Kevin G. Timberlake
        Marvel Illusions

Comment

No it doesn't!?! But that looks like what I need. How do I try it? Will it work with the runtime?
          It's from v5 but I doubt that the genie has changed that much. Start creating a new import using the genie. This should be the third screen you see after specifying the type of file to import and the name of the file to import.
          There can be only one.

Comment

Because you CANNOT import using the runtime, only the full version of Alpha. As for "append" you must have it done from a .dbf which is the issue. By appending a .dbf all fields are over written and you cannot export a .dbf.

I don't see why this is so complicated. "How do I import an .asc file into an "existing" form or .dbf without writing over existing fields? I just want to import the records not fields.
            Kevin,
            You cannot "export" a .dbf but you can use the "copy" operation. You need to design this in the full version as you cannot design it in the runtime. Once a .dbf file is written, you can append it in the runtime. If you don't want to overwrite data, choose the "unique records only" option during the append.

I do absolutely agree with you that you should be able to "Import" records with the runtime by choosing an "import" command from the menu and then browse to the file you want to import. I understand Aaron's comment that you can create an import operation, but that has no flexibility.

Bill Belanger

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews
              It's from v5 but I doubt that the genie has changed that much. Start creating a new import using the genie. This should be the third screen you see after specifying the type of file to import and the name of the file to import.
              Stan, You can't create a new import using the genie in the runtime. If you design it in the full version, you must specify the path of the incoming file. If the file you intend to import with the runtime is someplace other than what you scripted, your import will fail. Right?

Bill Belanger

Comment

Import from runtime???

Bill
                I understand that an import in runtime would have some advantages, but rarely does an import function by itself. And then you need to use other tools that are only available in a development version anyway....

I just got off the phone with Kevin and we discussed how he can get past the problems that he has identified and that he needs to work on the transfer idea a little bit more. Duplicates are an issue and resending of information is another. Essentially he's trying to do a synchronization of remote tables and it's a little more complicated then the single issues brought up so far. (Although noted by some other posts....)

Originally posted by [email protected]
                Kevin,
                You cannot "export" a .dbf but you can use the "copy" operation. You need to design this in the full version as you cannot design it in the runtime. Once a .dbf file is written, you can append it in the runtime. If you don't want to overwrite data, choose the "unique records only" option during the append.

I do absolutely agree with you that you should be able to "Import" records with the runtime by choosing an "import" command from the menu and then browse to the file you want to import. I understand Aaron's comment that you can create an import operation, but that has no flexibility.

Bill Belanger
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD
                Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Maybe but...

Stan, You can't create a new import using the genie in the runtime.
                  Bill Belanger
                  Right

If you design it in the full version, you must specify the path of the incoming file.
                  Bill Belanger
                  Right

If the file you intend to import with the runtime is someplace other than what you scripted, your import will fail.
                  Bill Belanger
                  Right

If you modify the xbasic of the import as suggested elsewhere you can substitute ui_get_file() code or similar to ask the user for the name of the file to be imported and the name of the destination table. I find it much easier to let the genie do the rough definition of an operation and then tweak the xbasic adding code to
                  • verify that the destination table still exists
                  • verify existence or ask for the transaction file
                  • obtain exclusive use of the destination table if possible for greater speed
                  • display a custom message the the import was successful
                  etc
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Oh what a complicated web we weave. I believe the original post in the wishlist was that you could import a text file in the runtime version like you can in the full version. I only wonder what the purpose is of eliminating that capability.

Bill Belanger

Comment

Final answer?

I only wonder what the purpose is of eliminating that capability.

Bill Belanger
                      I don't believe I'd want users to be able to define their own imports, even if they couldn't save them. What's to prevent them from filling a table with garbage through initiation of a self-designed import and then claim your application is at fault?
                      There can be only one.

Comment

I just don't know. I have played with the codes and being a person limited in xbasic knowledge, it is driving me nuts. At this point, i will give up and accept the fact that export is as simple as a click on the top menu in the runtime, but importing the very same file exported will take much too much hassle. One would think that if Alpha made a very simple export in the runtime, there would be just as simple, import of the exact same file it just exported. I don't know, I must be missing something, but it seems like if there was an export option on the main system menu, the import should be just as easy if the file is the exact one exported. But either way it does not exist and I am just going to have to not have an export or import to save confusion with my customers. But thanks for trying all. Maybe Alpha will make an import to match the export one day.:(
                        Kevin G. Timberlake
                        Marvel Illusions

Comment

Kevin

Just browsing through this thread, I thought I'd give it a go.

Attached is sample database - unzip into a folder of your choosing, open it using the runtime (v7) and go to utilities menu. There is an Export & Import button - This works in v6 & v7 - I've configured both import & export as XLS file - There are a number of records already for you to test.

Interesting to see if this is along the lines you have in mind.

Chris
                          If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Comment

In answer to why I would do this, I deal with truck drivers. Most are limited in their computing knowledge. point and click is best. I just wanted them to be able to "locate" the file they are to import. Usually it is a recent export they did or one I give them. But the flexibility is what I need. Definite locations for the imports is an issue since most have different locations their app is in. Now, if anyone is interested in "exactly" what I am looking for, it is found in this simple filemaker app that has the import/export in it. Now I still dont understand why Alpha would make an export under the records tab on the menu but never do an import. The link is here if anyone wants to see what I need.
                            Kevin G. Timberlake
                            Marvel Illusions

Comment

Kevin

You have an error in your link - However, I downloaded and installed.

Surely the principle of the problem can be solved with my example database above. Obviously my code would need to be changed to make it a bit more friendly and robust, but I see no obvious difference between my example and your filemaker app except for the selection of fields, which can also be added with a bit more xbasic.

I chose to use an excel format file because if your data has tabs, commas, or quote marks, an import can fail if you use a tab delimited file.

Chris
                              Last edited by ChrisHawkes; 11-13-2005, 12:17 PM.
                              If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Comment

Hi Chris,
                                Yes it is close to what I am looking for. However, it needs to have the ability to pick the file, so when they are in a form, they do not import the wrong file. Like if they were in a customer form and want to import the customer data, customer.xls (or what ever the extention) they can find the file. And if they are in trips form they won't or attempt to import customers into the trips form.

Open Alpha, open any form, look under records and you see "export selected records" and a very easy process is done. However, an import option doing the exact reverse of the export is needed. I am just learning xbasic so I am limited in my ability to do this in xbasic. This is one of the reasons I came to Alpha, visual and ease.
                                Kevin G. Timberlake
                                Marvel Illusions

Comment

Working...
                                X