Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic


Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.


If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.


Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.



Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Advice on validating data in a Table

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice on validating data in a Table

    I have what is a rather simple problem that Action Scripting seems to give no answers and for a novice coding is rather daunting.

    I have a table "T_inputs" that contains quote number "ID_Quote" and customer number "ID_Customer. I have a separate table "T_Customers" that contains customer number "ID_Customer1" and other data about the customer. What I want to do is check that all the quotes have valid customer numbers by comparing the customer numbers in the quote table with those in the customer table.

    What methods would you recommend I use. Are there any efficient ways to do this.

    thanks
    Paul

  • #2
    Re: Advice on validating data in a Table

    Originally posted by Paul Main View Post
    I have what is a rather simple problem that Action Scripting seems to give no answers and for a novice coding is rather daunting.

    I have a table "T_inputs" that contains quote number "ID_Quote" and customer number "ID_Customer. I have a separate table "T_Customers" that contains customer number "ID_Customer1" and other data about the customer. What I want to do is check that all the quotes have valid customer numbers by comparing the customer numbers in the quote table with those in the customer table.

    What methods would you recommend I use. Are there any efficient ways to do this.

    thanks
    Paul

    The easiest way I can think of is to create a set with t_inputs as the parent and t_customers as the child, linked on the id fields one to one. Now open the set and sort ascending on one of the child table fields. This will put the "empty" child records at the top, which should be the ones that did not have matches in the parent table.
    There can be only one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Advice on validating data in a Table

      As so often happens the first reply exposses what was thought and not said. Appologies.

      The situation is that the quote table might have an invalid customer number in it. Therefore, when producing a quote and getting information passed in from the customer table it fails. Hence the need to periodically check the validity of the customer numbers in the quote record.

      I did think of stepping through the quotes and lookup each customer number but I could not figure out the code to do this.

      Paul

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Advice on validating data in a Table

        Originally posted by Paul Main View Post
        As so often happens the first reply exposses what was thought and not said. Appologies.

        The situation is that the quote table might have an invalid customer number in it. Therefore, when producing a quote and getting information passed in from the customer table it fails. Hence the need to periodically check the validity of the customer numbers in the quote record.

        I did think of stepping through the quotes and lookup each customer number but I could not figure out the code to do this.

        Paul
        Not sure why what I suggested fails. How about adding a field to the quote table. Post to the new field from the customer table, any value that the field will hold, based on id fields. This will indicate what records in the quote table do and don't have matching customer table records.

        Blank the new field before each run with an update operation.
        There can be only one.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Advice on validating data in a Table

          Stan, All I want to do is run a check routine that compares the customer numbers in the quote table with the master customer table to see if it is valid. The output would be a list of quotes with invalid customer numbers, which by definition would be that it does not exist in the customer master table.

          The routine I thought of would be

          Set index t_quote table to quote number ascending
          Set index t_customer table to customer number ascending
          Goto first record t_quote table
          do while .t. if quote number exist
          find t_quote.customerno in t_customer.customer table
          if .not. t_quote.customer = t_customer.customer
          print quote number
          endif
          goto next quote record

          Am I making sense?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Advice on validating data in a Table

            Originally posted by Paul Main View Post
            Stan, All I want to do is run a check routine that compares the customer numbers in the quote table with the master customer table to see if it is valid. The output would be a list of quotes with invalid customer numbers, which by definition would be that it does not exist in the customer master table.

            The routine I thought of would be

            Set index t_quote table to quote number ascending
            Set index t_customer table to customer number ascending
            Goto first record t_quote table
            do while .t. if quote number exist
            find t_quote.customerno in t_customer.customer table
            if .not. t_quote.customer = t_customer.customer
            print quote number
            endif
            goto next quote record

            Am I making sense?
            You're making perfect sense. I just disagree with the method you want to use to get the list. If you used my last suggestion, you could export (excel or ascii) just the quote numbers based on isblank("addedfield").

            If' you'd rather code it in xbasic, go ahead. No hard feelings. I know how fast the post, update, and export operations run for something this simple. I don't know how fast a script would run that fetched through all the customers for each quote.


            I'm accustomed to multi-million record tables so I am probably biased towards certain solutions.
            There can be only one.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Advice on validating data in a Table

              Stan, thanks. I have just tried what you suggested and I can see how to use it. It also gives me the opportunity to make corrections.

              My thought pattern was to have a batch job to check the data and list the errors. Your way will work for small sets of mismatches which hopefully will only be rarely needed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Advice on validating data in a Table

                Originally posted by Paul Main View Post
                Stan, thanks. I have just tried what you suggested and I can see how to use it. It also gives me the opportunity to make corrections.

                My thought pattern was to have a batch job to check the data and list the errors. Your way will work for small sets of mismatches which hopefully will only be rarely needed.
                Great. Now consider changing the customer id field in your quote table to a lookup to the customer table. It could fill in the customer id and name. No possibility of mismatches.
                There can be only one.

                Comment

                Working...
                X