Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

DDE Error Message on V7 Runtime with a5.close() method...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DDE Error Message on V7 Runtime with a5.close() method...

Hi All,

I can more or less safely say that this close down error message does NOT appear in V8. I have tested my apps in both V7 and V8

Michael

www.instantnurserymanager.co.uk
    www.preschooler.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
      Did this ever get resolved?

It occurs in all of my apps but only if I've done some development or used the app. It also occurs with runtime apps. In other words, it will not appear if I simply open and close the app. I am using the current build.

Thanks....kenn
      The issue appears to be resolved in V8.
      We believe that the issue is caused by Smartheap, a 3rd party memory manager that Alpha Five V7 uses. In V8, we engineered the product so that it does not use Smartheap and the problem appears to be resolved.

The problem is an annoyance, but does not result in problems. I.e. applications run normally - the problem only happens on exiting A5, and only happes sometimes, and on certain machines.

Comment

Hi Selwyn,

Thank you for the reply.

kenn
        TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Originally posted by awj View Post
          Hi Bob;

Any word on when this release is available. I just stumbled onto this DDE Error once again when trying to addin some code to the autoexec script to handle my Trial Version of my application.

When I remove that code, all is well. The code looks up values in tables and puts them into variables to establish settings for the trial version.

awj
          sigpicI just need to look forward into the future a little further. W.R.Noel

Comment

Whats up with this error, I am getting it everytime, whats the problem and how do I resolve it, that is what i need to know.

Comment

I think Selwyn's post from 12/29 (in this same message thread) is the latest word. It does not seem to be a problem that you can fix.

Comment

Thanks for answering my question so fast Bob, now how do I get the patch?
                Where is it located on the web?

Originally posted by Bob Arbuthnot View Post
                Better News.

Received a pre-release of A5V7 patch from Selwyn that I have tested briefly and it appears that they have found and corrected whatever was causing this error.

BA

Comment

See Post #47 of this thread. The patch I referred to was never made generally available. It was flawed, but I don't recall the issue. The problem referred to in this thread was fixed, but something else was introduced. I tested it for a few days, encountered the problem, sent it to Selwyn, he either couldn't reproduce it or couldn't consistently reproduce it, and I assume went back to work on V8. I abandoned the patch and rolled back to the latest patch available on the A5 website.

If this error message is really annoying you it sounds like you'll need to invest in V8.

ba

Comment

Well that makes me really happy, Alpha Software is selling a broken
                    > product and I just bought a5 ver. 7, I need to talk to them because
                    > I need to be supplied with v8 or refunded the company money!
                    > Who do I contact about this?
                    >

Originally posted by Bob Arbuthnot View Post
                    See Post #47 of this thread. The patch I referred to was never made generally available. It was flawed, but I don't recall the issue. The problem referred to in this thread was fixed, but something else was introduced. I tested it for a few days, encountered the problem, sent it to Selwyn, he either couldn't reproduce it or couldn't consistently reproduce it, and I assume went back to work on V8. I abandoned the patch and rolled back to the latest patch available on the A5 website.

If this error message is really annoying you it sounds like you'll need to invest in V8.

ba

Comment

http://www.alphasoftware.com/support/custserv.asp

Found by going to www.alphasoftware.com

Comment

I'm extremely upset by this problem. It happens every time I close A5V7. I thought it was my application, and have checked and rechecked every calculated field, etc. Every things appears ok.

On top of that, I've been bombarded with sales phone calls for V8. So many that I finally told them to stop. I was getting 3 to 5 calls a week!

I really don't want to go back to Access, but it works fine every time - I just don't like all the coding needed with it.

Comment

Originally posted by CapeMayAl View Post
                          I'm extremely upset by this problem. It happens every time I close A5V7. I thought it was my application, and have checked and rechecked every calculated field, etc. Every things appears ok.

On top of that, I've been bombarded with sales phone calls for V8. So many that I finally told them to stop. I was getting 3 to 5 calls a week!

I really don't want to go back to Access, but it works fine every time - I just don't like all the coding needed with it.

This problem does not happen in V8. There is no solution for V7. The problem is benign. It has no affect on your data.

Comment

Selwyn,

The only problem with this error is that it makes any application I've created and sold look like it's the work of an incompetent boob. In my case that may actually be a fairly accurate assessment, but for many others who've written elegant programs, it may be somewhat analagous to a boil on the nose of a beautiful woman. A good many people aren't going to be able to see past the boil.

In my case I have an application in beta test right now that I've worked on for 2 years (I'm very part-time at this) and, if there are no V7 to V8 conversion issues that crop up, I will probably move it to V8 6 months or so after the official V8 release date. But at that time I'm going to need 2 full versions of V8 plus a 10 user Runtime, so I'll be looking at $1000 - 1500 or so, not pocket change. In the meantime I'd like to be sending out some demo disks of my app, but I'm really reluctant to do so with this "benign" problem. Granted, it's a very cosmetic thing very much like a coffee ring on the fold down tray of an airliner. But, if the airline can't get the coffee rings cleaned up between flights, how can you possibly believe that they are doing a thorough job of servicing the engines?

It's just my humble opinion that if this can be fixed with a reasonable amount of effort on your part, it should be done.

Bob Arbuthnot

Comment

My feelings exactly.

Comment

I have been getting the same error occasionally. It started showing up when I bought a new laptop with MCE. I patched MCE to run on our domain and I thought that might have something to do with it. I agree that this should be fixed if it is a known bug.
                                Tommy Thompson
                                Thompson Consulting Services
                                Beautiful Kentucky Lake, Springville, TN 38256
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X