Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

"Next record" form navigation button annoyance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brett,
    Did you try changing your form to modal?

Bill Belanger

Comment

Bill, no I didn't. I avoid using modal forms in my applications to the greatest extent possible. I just use them as dialog boxes informing of errors during data entry.

Comment

FWIW, I'd like to add my 2 cents worth to this discussion. My systems are based on one concept when it comes to my users - if it can be screwed up, it will be screwed up, and the system had best accept and overcome that if possible.

I've run into this "next record adds a record" situation with A5v7 and for the life of me, cannot see why it should be the default action here. And, no, I have not considered modal design because:

1. I didn't know, until reading this thread, that it did not act this way, and

2. A system design should not have to be modified to overcome something that makes no sense in the first place.

I vote for the folks at Alpha patching the code to fix this cuz that makes a lot more sense than workarounds for a bad situation.
        Richard

Comment

Richard,
          If your goal is to keep users from "screwing things up", why do you want the modeless entry? Modeless allows them to change the data in a field without even confirming that. That was one of my gripes with Filemaker, is that users could just click on a field, (usually trying to do a find) change it, go to another record, and nothing asked them if they wanted to save the change.

View>Settings>Data Entry

gives you that option. Why is it upsetting that it is not "the default"?

Bill Belanger

Comment

Bill,

I appreciate your point about modifying fields, though that is a separate issue.

Allowing blank records to be inserted is totally pointless, to me. Perhaps someone could tell me the value of such things, for my feeble thought processes cannot conceive of why this should be.
            Richard

Comment

Actually, it's all the same issue. If you use modal entry forms, blank records will not be added and fields cannot be modified without confirmation. I don't like modeless entry either, but I'm happy I have the simple option. Now if you've already designed an entire database with modeless forms, I can understand your disappointment.

Bill

Comment

Allowing blank records to be inserted is totally pointless
                Richard,

this behavior has been part of Alpha Five in all previous versions with which I'm familiar. I suppose the designers had to make a choice when the user got to the end of the table and then tried to move beyond it. One choice would be to do nothing. Force the user to initiate a new record with a special keystroke or key combination. Another would be to assume the user knows what they're doing and wants to begin a new record. The designers chose the latter, possibly in the interest of speeding data entry. The point I've tried to make several times in this thread is that while a new record is begun, it does not cause the blank record to be inserted in the table, as your comment suggests. Nothing is committed to the table until the user does something else after the new record is begun. If the user has permission to enter records they can always enter a blank record whenever they want anyway. This is just one form in which that becomes possible.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong. It's just the design choice that appears to have been made long ago. If it were reversed I'm certain we'd hear folks complaining that they now have to take extra steps to begin a new record when it used to be "automatic".

I've found Martin Cole's approach to solving the problem of the accidental save to be solid. It helps in this situation and in cases where the user begins a new record, leaves it blank, and then navigates away from it.

-- tom

Comment

refresh bug?

Do you have any 'refresh' commands in your event scripts? I was getting the same behaviour in a form (with data entry set to modal and continuous enters restriction checked) on a button (to cancel entry of a new record) with the following action script:

set value of variable 'to show/hide conditional object
                  refresh display 'to send new var. values to conditional object
                  cancel changes 'basically, a cancel()
                  set fill style 'I'm changing the background color of the form
                  send keys 'I send a tab to get the cursor where I want it

When I enter a new record, then immediately hit my cancel button a new blank record is added. But when I comment-out the 'refresh' command, voila! it works as planned (it turns out I didn't need the refresh to make the conditional object see the new variable values).

On the same form, the refresh can prevent the form from returning to modal after a new or change record command, depending on where it's at. With the following script, the form remains modeless even after a cancel command is executed in the action script:

Cancel changes
                  set value of variable
                  set fill style
                  refresh display
                  send keys

When I moved the refresh and cancel commands as shown at the top of my reply (cancel after refresh), the cancel button returned the form to modal as it should. Of course, that's when I discovered new records being added automatically, & I eventually commented-out the refresh command, which made everything work beautifully (until the next bug is found).

What is it with the refresh command?

Comment

Nope, I haven't used any refresh commands.

My solution to the issue, though I really would prefer another way, is to make one of the fields required. This causes an warning, requiring the blank record to be deleted before anything else can be done.
                    Richard

Comment

I found why the refresh action script does what it does after looking at the code (duh), which is:

'Refresh data in current form at parent level.
                      'Can only resynch data in View mode, so save record first to be sure that layout is in View mode.
                      topparent.Commit()
                      topparent.Resynch()
                      topparent.Refresh_Layout()

Comment

Revisiting unwanted record additions

I've been experimenting with ways to try to get around this bug regarding the unwanted addition of blank records when a user clicks next record several times.

There should be a simple fix, but what I see above doesn't seem to work for me.

I've a situation where there are a number of tables that have a calculated field made up of the first name, mi, last name and suffix for a person. The various tables deal with info like birth, death and marriage certificate information. Each table contains a field called "Person" that contains the calculated result.

The various forms contain custom navigation buttons for reasons not germain here.

Here is my latest effort for a common script executed OnPush when the user exits any of the forms:

dim name as C
                        dim tbl as P
                        dim fld as P

tbl = table.current()

'Check to see if required field is filled in
                        tbl.fetch_first()
                        count = tbl.records_get()
                        for i = 1 TO count
                        tbl.fetch_next()
                        fld = tbl.field_get("Person")
                        name = fld.value_get()
                        if name=" " then
                        tbl.delete_record()
                        end if
                        next i

It doesn't work because of the tbl.delete_record() not being in correct <OBJECT>.delete_record() form. It may give someone an idea, however.

Your help is appreciated, as always.
                        Last edited by rfha; 04-05-2006, 05:58 PM.
                        Richard

Comment

Possible solution ???

Richard, I don't know if this will play well with your other field rules, but in testing with a simple table here it seems to work reliably.

For the CanEnterRecord Record Event in field rules:

Code:
                          tbl = table.current()
                          if tbl.mode_get() <> 0 then  'table is in change or enter mode, so block new record
                          	cancel()
                          end if
                          Here if the user navigates to the last record in the table and begins a new record by navigating further a new record is begun, but is NOT automatically committed when further navigation is attempted.

BTW, I don't consider the default behavior to be a bug, for the reasons outlined elsewhere in this thread. I hope you'll agree that labelling the behavior as "bug" or "not bug" won't help us find a solution to the interface problem your customers present.

-- tom

Comment

Thank you, Tom. This is helpful.

As for my labeling it a bug, I did read all the other posts carefully. I can appreciate a long-standing situation being difficult to resolve, especially when many have developed workarounds that might be compromised.

I find it difficult, however, to understand or accept how someone clicking on a next record link while moving through a table can reasonably expect to create blank, and almost undeniably unwanted records. Several others spoke to that situation specifically.

If the undlerlying software permits this situation, long-standing or not, I consider it to be a bug in that software. And that is not meant to be in any way disrespectful to those who have expressed their opinions in this thread. I respect their comments and yours immensely. This forum is most helpful, especially in situations like this. The very length of the thread, to me, is an indication of the depth and impact of the problem. Just look at all the suggested solutions - to something that should not ever happen.

This is my considered opinion, and I think that Alpha should do something about it.
                            Richard

Comment

Richard, you're welcome.

I guess where we differ on this is that to me the user is no longer "moving through a table" when they reach the end and then try to keep going. Simple as that. You would prefer that the user not be permitted to continue automatically, I prefer otherwise.

Instead of calling our respective preferences names, I tend to think of a bug as a situation in which the program behaves differently than has been documented by the developers. In other words, behavior not as designed.

The User Guide covers this situation pretty concisely:

Add a New Record

To add a new record, you need to open a blank record. Do any of the following to open a blank record:

Click the New Record button on the toolbar.

Select Records > Enter New Record.

Use the keystroke: CTRL E.

Navigate to the last record in the table, and press Enter.
                              I can understand a desire to change the default behavior. The New Feature Wishlist forum is designed for just that sort of request. But calling the documented behavior a "bug" isn't consistent with my understanding of the term.

--tom

Comment

Tom,

I yield - sort of... ;)

I suppose a documented fault cannot be defined as a bug in the literal sense, but it is still a fault, IMNSHO. My experience shows that one can expect users to do exactly what they are not supposed to do, or supposed to be able to do. That is the basis for my carping.

I'll add this to the Wishlist, though somehow I doubt that anything will happen, but who knows!
                                Richard

Comment

Working...
                                X