Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Code Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code Editor

I have done a lot of work using html editors throughout the years. One feature most of them have is Line numbering. So if I am working on a large project and it turns out that I have an error and it is reported back by line number, I can be easily find it and correct it.

Speaking for myself, and probably 99% of the people using the code editor, I sure would appreciate a simple little thing like Line Numbering in the code editor so when I get an error msg referring to line xx and the definition extra characters, I can find the one to which it refers.

I, for one, don't know how the lines are counted. Are dimmed lines counted? are blank lines counted? etc.

Any other thoughts on this?
    Last edited by masteralone; 06-28-2006, 11:03 PM.
    My two cents worth :)

Oran

Is this what you are referring to? - see attachment
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

yes!!!!!!!

Oran

Comment

I'll send you my bill in the morning. :D
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Lol, bill for what? all I see is the thumbnail, how do you turn on line numbering? grins, or did you do a little image editing?

Oran

Comment

In the code editor, right click, near the bottom there is the line number option. It's also in another menu somewhere. Doesn't work in the interactive editor.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

See attached...
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

OPen an a5w page, click on source on the bottom tabs, RIGHT click in an open space and select line numbers.

Jim

Comment

Thank you so much Peter. Now I wonder why it isn't a default setting rather than an option since you can get an error message while compiling and the compiler will only give you the line number and error msg.

Laughs, yes, I would complain if I was being strung up with a brand new rope.

Oran

Comment

Re: Code Editor

Oran,

For future reference, open the Help file. Choose Search tab. Search for "line numbering". 4th entry returned "Using the Xbasic Code Editor". You'll find line numbering in the grid describing the editor's functions. . There's also an entry in the Index under Code Editor. It's called "Displaying Line Numbers".

Incidentally, the current line number also displays in the status bar at the bottom of the editor window. I've used this for years to find lines referenced by error messages, without ever enabling line numbering generally

-- tom

Comment

Thanks Tom, I learn something new everyday about this beast. I have to admit I never looked at the status bar while in the code editor, guess I was concentrating on what I was doing. And I have given up on trying to find minor stuff in help like line numbering because I don't think like Alpha Software. I seem to find a lot of the 'methods and functions' by rummaging around in help for a while on what I can find in related issues and finally come across something that gets me where I want to go.

Oran

Comment

Oran,

I have given up on trying to find minor stuff in help
                        It is never a good idea to give up. The more I search in the help files, the better I understand how the indexing works and the easier it is for me to find things in the future.
                        Cheryl
                        #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
                        http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Hi Cheryl,

I am one of those people that has much better luck researching a hard copy of a users manual or xbasic reference guide than I do using onscreen help. With a book, I am quickly able to figure out the mindset, philosophy, logic or whatever you want to call it, of the person/people that wrote it.

When I bought A5V4, since I didn't have a duplex laser printer, I spent the time figuring out how to do it with my old panasonic so that I had prints on both sides of a single sheet of paper and it was numbered sequentially. This gave me a hard copy of the users manual and the xbasic reference guide.

I didn't upgrade until A5V6 and only then because of the free upgrade to V7 that came with the purchase.

The more I try to use the onscreen help, the more frustrated I become when I know the answer is in there but I can't find it unless I spend a lot of time in it and find it by a sideways attempt rather than being able to type it in the index search part of help.

An example, yesterday, while reading posts on forum, I wanted to look up in help 'mode_get'. I finally found it by looking under mode, then looked at get form mode under that (which isn't what I wanted after alll) then noticed Form Functions and Methods under See Also, found .mode_get(), clicked on it, and finally found what I was looking for. Or so I thought. Out of curiosity, I then went back to index search, typed in .mode_get(), hit enter and a popup box comes up with the choices of <Field_rules>.mode_get, <OBJECT>.Mode_Get(), and <TBL>.Mode_Get().

In looking through these 3 .mode_get) choices, I still haven't envisioned the use in a field rule, discovered that <OBJECT> returns one of 5 char strings (view/change/enter/query/find) and that the <tbl> version still returns a numeric value and is limited to view/change/enter. Actually, the object version is a little ambiguous, it doesn't say it returns a char or a number, just has "View" = 0, "Change" = 1, and so on. Will play with it to find out if it returns a char or number in the interactive window.

Ok, enough about all this. I think now you may understad where I am coming from. I do not have the philosophy of "if all else fails read the manual". I just prefer a hard copy manual over onscreen. And if it is like my old V4 printouts in document protectors in a binder, I can pull them out and have them side by side for comparison viewing. ;)

Oran

Comment

Good morning Oran.

The reality is that the size of the documentation has grown to the point where it's almost unmanageable in hard copy format. Furthermore, the help file is dynamic, changing frequently. Printed manuals are static. For example, you could relate your recent struggle to Ed Larrabee at Alpha Software (he's the chief technical writer). He's very responsive to suggestions for improvements, and they can be integrated into the CHM rapidly. This is not possible with printed manuals. If you have ideas for improving the index, or requesting more examples for specific funcitons or methods, let Ed know.

I have grown to like the CHM format after struggling with it for quite a while. In the Index, the first tier entries are almost always nouns. Second tier entries include entries that sometimes begin with nouns and sometimes verbs. So, I begin an Index search by thinking of a category or topic name, and then visually scan for action words (like "get" or "set") that pertain. Obviously, nomenclature is a problem for beginners. But using the CHM is the best way to become familiar with the terms Alpha uses. Cheryl's advice is sound. Force yourself to keep using it. When the frustration level gets too high, post a note here and we'll see if we can't refer you to the correct section or topic. -- tom

Comment

I don't care for the windows help search engine, and find it misses pages of the help information all the time. I often use the PDF version to search, however, that is not as up-to-date. I'd love to see a better, or alternative search engine for the help.

After discussing it with Ed and Selwyn, a good solution is to use Google Desktop search, or the regular google search engine. For the regular Google search engine, go to the advanced search, Set Domain: to Only and the Site/Domain next to it to http://support.alphasoftware.com/alphafivehelp

While not perfect, it seems to find all references that meet the search criteria.

I hope this helps!
                              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                              New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Working...
                              X