Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Signature line in page footer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Signature line in page footer

Robin:
    Because I know you could figure it out on your own!

Actually, it's a bad (or good) habit on my part to always password my work in case somebody decides to play with my computer!

I will post it without the password, if you have not figure it out by then!

Comment

I am afraid I deleted the darn thing and don't remember the password. Try "analyst" for a password. If it does not work, let me know, I will build another one.

Comment

I got it to work with a query - see the Call Report form button. It runs the query using a unique index and puts the analyst names into global variables so the report can use them.

This is so much more fun that cleaning my house...
        Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Robin your sample will put the same four (or however many global vars you want to use) on the bottom of each page. (I changed the position of your variables onto the page footer instead of the report footer). I left that as LabReport

I then modified your report a bit and called it LabReport2. I put the following in the OnRecord event of the detail section(in the report).
          Code:
          Dim shared an_list as c    'the variable for signature block on the form
          Dim anlst as c             'to hold the analyst of the current record
          dim shared anlstnum as n   'count of the unique names per page
          dim shared pgnum as n      'the current page

if pageno() > pgnum then   'if next page then reset stuff
              an_list = ""
              anlstnum = 0
              pgnum = pageno()
          end if

t=table.current(2)                    
          anlst = t.analyst
          IF anlst !$ an_List      'checks if current name is already in the list
             anlstnum = anlstnum+1
             IF mod(anlstnum,2)=1   'checks for multiples of two to get two on a line
                an_list = an_list + crlf(4) + anlst + "___________________________                     "
             ELSE
                an_list = an_list + anlst + "___________________________                     "
             END IF
          END IF
          This manipulates the value of the an_list variable which is defined in the report and placed in the page footer for the report. This places in the signature area only the names of the analysts on the page. as per Ken's requirement
          Government regulations stipulate that each page of the report must be signed by each analyst who worked on any of the samples on that page.
          If you preview the report and advance the pages and then go back to earlier pages the signature block will reflect the last page viewed. However it does print properly as seen in the attached pdf.
          Last edited by Tim Kiebert; 08-20-2006, 04:42 AM.
          Tim Kiebert
          Eagle Creek Citrus
          A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Hi Tim,
            Wow - I never would have thought of that. I have not tried writing any scripts for report events. I hope Ken likes it.
            Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Hi Robin,

I only thought of it because I recently read an article by Dr Peter Wayne in the newsletter where he uses the OnRecord event. I haven't used them myself either. I just likes solving puzzles. :)
              Tim Kiebert
              Eagle Creek Citrus
              A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Tim,

Code:
                Dim shared an_list as c    'the variable for signature block on the form
                Dim anlst as c             'to hold the analyst of the current record
                dim shared anlstnum as n   'count of the unique names per page
                dim shared pgnum as n      'the current page

if pageno() > pgnum then   'if next page then reset stuff
                    an_list = ""
                    anlstnum = 0
                    pgnum = pageno()
                end if

t=table.current(2)                    
                anlst = t.analyst
                IF anlst !$ an_List      'checks if current name is already in the list
                   anlstnum = anlstnum+1
                   IF mod(anlstnum,2)=1   'checks for multiples of two to get two on a line
                      an_list = an_list + crlf(4) + anlst + "___________________________                     "
                   ELSE
                      an_list = an_list + anlst + "___________________________                     "
                   END IF
                END IF
                I sure wish I understood the code you wrote for the Report event. It is awefully slick. Sitting here and staring at it for an hour didn't make the lightbulb ignite.

For the heck of it (I like puzzles too) I threw together something taking off from Robin's query, generating variables for the valid signatures and used Conditional Objects on the report. I didn't take the time to contract the code so it's very verbose. I've been wanting a reason to use conditional objects on a report and this came up to fool around with.

Any insight to your code would be welcomed by this lad.

Mike W
                Mike W

Comment

Tim, Robin, Gabe and most particularly Ken, who has not responded to any of this.

I think a couple of things have been missed here, and of course it would help if we knew more about the file structure Ken is trying to use. He could be using a set and then again he need not be.

Tim, you point this out in Ken�s post: �Government regulations stipulate that each page of the report must be signed by each analyst who worked on any of the samples on that page.� HOWEVER, in his next, clarifying message he wrote: �Yes, some layers are analyzed by more than one analyst (this is part of the standard quality control procedure), but only the 'analyst of record' is considered for the signature line in the report.� That means, I presume, that 2 analysts may work on a �layer� in a sample but only the �analyst of record� for the sample has to sign the page. And Ken does not really make it clear whether a printed page could have more than one sample and if so whether the signatures have to be on the bottom of the page. If we have multiple samples on a page and only some of the analysts need to sign the page it is a bit more difficult. If they also have to be on the bottom of the page, it is even more difficult.

Still, I maintain, as I said at the beginning of this thread, just use groups in the report. As an example, I constructed a single table (trying to base it on what Ken said and some assumptions I thought were reasonable). Then I used groups in 2 reports, one with a single sample per page, and one with multiple samples on a page with signatures only for the �analyst of record� in the groups and at the bottom of the page (take your pick and delete one!). The only tricky part of this was getting the signatures in the page footer (look at the detail OnRecord event and OnPrintInit, as I recall). Plus if multiple samples can be on a report and the samples spill over to multiple pages, then putting signatures on the bottom of the page is tougher yet. You would either have to move them to a report footer or figure out a way to do it just for the page printing�something I am not going to take the time to figure out how to do since it is late and I doubt it is relevant

But notice on my reports that even though I use a single table allowing up to 6 layers per sample, only the actual layers in the sample show up on the report (I do this with calc fields in an RTF box). As long as things do not get out of hand in terms of the number layers in any given sample, one does not need to use a 1 to many set for this kind of thing.

Now, if Ken wants digitized signatures, if there were only half a dozen or so analysts, I think I would just scan the signatures into .bmp files and put bitmaps on conditional objects in the report. If the number of analysts was large, I would probably do it some other way. However, I suspect these reports need real signatures, so I am not going to spend time on it.

Sorry for the length of this!

Ray Lyons

Comment

Tim:
                    Great work brother!
                    I did not open the zip file of Robin's or yours either, but I looked rather very quickly at your code and I like the general concept which inspired me to do things I do not even need (that's why I try not to spend too much time on this board because it's addictive).

I came up with a scenario that does the same thing as yours that will print all signatures at the bottom of the page, but it's not quite finished yet. When I get leisure time, I will finish it and post it.

Ray:

Ken will get back with you soon. Having gone through hurricane Katrina, I have a sneaking feeling Ken works for FEMA! But he'll get back with you!

You are right, it is not quite clear what will or will not work for Ken. That's why I did not work on this anymore until these questions are answered.

Comment

Ken,

A number of people, myself included, have spent considerable time trying to help you with this. It would be nice if you would provide feedback as to whether any of us is on the right track or going off into left field. And I might add it does not help that you do not want to receive e-mails from people trying to follow up--though I kind of understand that since e-mails have gotten totally out of control in this big old world.

A pdf of a sample page from the report you are trying to get to work would have helped a great deal, and whether you are doing this with a single table or a set (1 to many or ?). I still believe a rather simple report with groups will do what you want (see my example eleswhere in this thread). I did it with a single table but it would help to know if that's the kind of structure you are trying to use.

Ray Lyons

Comment

Hi Ray,
                        I wouldn't be too hard on Ken here; the only reason I jumped in is because the idea was intrigueing and I wanted to see if I could do it. My own app causes brain faze after awhile and it helps to have another way to look at things.
                        Robin

Comment

Ray,
                          Also understand someone pegged him for a government employee. The communications we have delivered have been the weekend, and do not fall within the period (weekend) that government operates.

I re-read all the thread.

- Six samples per page.
                          - Each sample having multiple layers
                          - Each layer analyzed by a principle responsible person, and maybe others
                          are involved but ony the responsible person needs to sign off.
                          - One person could be involved in numerous samples and in numerous layers.
                          - All these primaries without duplication are to be listed as a signature line
                          at the bottom of the page.
                          - The number of signature lines at the bottom of the page is:
                          (6 samples X ?layers) -duplicates analysts.
                          - There is an unclear number of primary analysts that could be involved.

I'm thinking Tim's very concise (that means I haven't yet fully grasped it yet) approach is the closest to matches the scenerio that I have deciphered.

Ray, yours is in my opinion, is the most eye-appealing report presented!

Mike W
                          Mike W

Comment

Working...
                          X