Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

V8 release date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: V8 release date & Documentation

Originally posted by rfha View Post
    So I go to the docs and search on "average", being a rather logical fellow and assuming I might find what I want there.
    Here's another option. Download the free A5v5 Xbasic Help file from my Programs page. (Sorry, Xbasic functions only.) It's a bit old but it includes all functions for A5v5 and some from A5v6. The important thing - the keywords were all entered manually. This means that all functions that relate to a specific word (at least all that I could think of) and ONLY those that are relavent (not just because the word was found somewhere in the description) will appear in a search list. For example, if you search on "average", you will see a list of 5 items:

<tbl>.field_statistics()
    Average
    DbAvg
    Run_Average
    TableAvg

Compare that to 51 hits in the Alpha search. Most of those 51 are either not relevant (such as <field>.is_blank) or just refer back to one of the 5 above.

Building the keyword list manually was very time consuming so I can see why it wasn't done in the Alpha help but it does make the help file MUCH more user friendly.

Of course, the Alpha help also includes many new functions - especially for WAS and other internet related items (ftp commands, uuid, etc.) which didn't exist in v5 - and this would make manual entry of keywords even more time consuming.

However, most of the *desktop* functions existed in v5. Also, many of the new desktop functions are just based on the older functions and combined or modified in some way to make them more user friendly without really providing new capabilities. So, for desktop apps my old A5v5 Xbasic Help File is still very useful for anyone who uses Xbasic or In-Line Xbasic.

Comment

Re: V8 release date

Getting back to the original query -

Here we are at end November. Is there anyone out there with up to date info re release date. It would be great for me (boring for my wife!!) to spend some time over Xmas checking out v8. Is this wishful thinking?

Comment

For 'saynotogates' - although I am much much much younger than you are, I started out in CP/M, too.
        Me, too. PIP, Peripheral Interchange Program. Once I wrote a formatter in Z80 assembly. Nice days but it's history now.

@docs: Yes, Alpha has a problem when it comes to documentation. The documentation so far is good. But to keep it that way it will be a major problem the next coming years.

But there is one thing I don't understand. I know the VBA documentation. It is object oriented, it is compact, I can understand it and I can use it. I know the Word object model and I can work with it and it is not as huge as the A5 documentation.

Alpha isn't object oriented, they tried in some areas but the whole part isn't. It is function listed by function. It is a structured chaos. I do not mean this negative. But somehow it must be more structured to keep track of it.

They have too much names invented by themselves. These names do not have any common sense with other languages.

And I agree that a team is more like to keep track to it or the developers must change for a while into documenters.

One man alone can't do it. The new one will burn down to his knees when he or she has to do it alone.
        Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
        ---- Confusius ----

Comment

Documentation again

The current documentation system makes it difficult to find information. Many have commented on the index and search facilities, which leave much to be desired. But a growing problem is the structure itself. The help is now an unwieldy hodgepodge of multiple documents. The same topic is often found parceled out and duplicated in different places. And with Alpha Five's expanding features the problem can only get worse.

I know Alpha Five is a massive, complex, multifaceted product. But having having to look up all these different books just makes learning it unnecessarily harder.

I would really like to see a simple, unified document structure for the help, something like the outline of Dr. Wayne's Xbasic book, with the list of functions and methods forming the appendix. It'll be a massive document, of course, but perhaps not as massive as the current help. And it would be a lot easier to use.

But, as Marcel asks, Who can do it?
          Jim

Comment

Just throwing in my 2 pennies. I agree with much of what has been said on the documentation. I have a solution that is working pretty well for me. If you install the Google Toolbar you can then first navigate to the Alpha Help Files on the web and then do a Google search on just the Help File Site.

Alpha Online Help File URL

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...help/index.htm

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, that is a good idea!
              Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
              ---- Confusius ----

Comment

I agree. Clever workaround!
                Jim

Comment

ORIGINALLY POSTED UNDER ANNOUNCEMENTS

MFAUZIM originally posted -------

Just wondering when will be V8 avail? I already pre purchased and expected it will be ready end of year. I have new project which will start Jan and it could use V8 new functionality.
                  Hope Alphateam can shed some light on this

My comment ---------

I willingly purchased V8 early, but am now beginning to wonder how long the wait is going to be. Alphateam - please don't disappoint - there is a limit to our patience. Rather let us know if delays are likely and keep us informed.

Comment

Yes, It was a little odd that the charge went through on the credit card even though no shipment has occurred, as with most other advance orders for other software and items I've purchased. So Alpha has had the $$$ for over a month now, and we still do not have anything to show for it and do not even get status updates as to an expected or planned release and/or ship date. Disappointing!

Don't get me wrong, if they are having problems, I would rather have them fix them than to release a buggy or problematic version... just give us some status.
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dpawley View Post
                      ... just give us some status.
                      Alpha tends to be notoriously uncommunicative!
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Re: V8 - Searching help files

Originally posted by jkletrovets View Post
                        Just throwing in my 2 pennies. I agree with much of what has been said on the documentation. I have a solution that is working pretty well for me. If you install the Google Toolbar you can then first navigate to the Alpha Help Files on the web and then do a Google search on just the Help File Site.

Alpha Online Help File URL

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...help/index.htm

Regards,

Jeff
                        I would suggest your reviewing search software offered by: http://sitesearch.gigablast.com/

This will search the help files. I have not tried yet. I wish some one will be able to try its suitability to search help files.
                        sigpic

Comment

Just a comment about V8. Richard told me in early December that the delay was because they want to make sure V8 is compatible with Vista.

Well, that was a good idea. I had the opportunity to try a V7 runtime on a Microsoft Partners pre-release of Vista and it wouldn't even load...

Let us all pray to your power of choice that V8 overcomes the problems and soon. I, too, very strongly dislike having my credit card charged for vaporware - which is exactly what it is until the release happens.

On another note, Richard made a newer pre-release version of V8 available, dunno if all got it, but when I run it, it comes up with a silly little bug message that says I can stop the script by clicking (see attachment). Now that is helpful, don't you think? (Can't get anything else to work). The only way out is to quit, usually requiring the Task Manager.

Happy New Year!
                          Richard

Comment

I too ran a wang machine in the early 70's. I was never impressed with it because it was used only for printing a contract that let us do away with payment books. It took the floppy disk to hold 10 contracts as an aschive. It did absolutely nothing else. It was a poor product by today's standards and was a lot more expensive. Imagine a 30,000.00 home computer today?

Dave Mason
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave, methinks you overlook how today's flash drives are beginning to replace hard drives. Time moves on, and faster every day.

You speak of storage - last week I visited a company that had the latest Mac's and 3 Terabytes of storage! And it was full!!!!

But in defense of Wang, it sounds like you used one of their Wangwriter word processors, which were not that great.

I ran a service bureau that supported home 10 construction companies and managed construction of hundreds of homes, all on just one Wang 2200. Sure, we used those big old clunky fixed-removeable hard drives that were the size of a satellite dish, but it was cutting edge at the time. Tick, tick, tick...

Anyway, I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! :) ;)
                              Richard

Comment

The Wang we used was designed for car dealers - desktop machine - program was on a disk - loaded the disk - saved to another disk - all floppy

Later ran a radio shack - same scenario - could play games on it though and it printed all my forms - could store about 100 deals on a 1.2 floppy

I remember the first hard drive came out for the laptop with 2 meg of space and we could not fill it with all the programs we had(made and bought)

I had 2 hard drives that came in their own big 3'*5'*4'tall cases. They had some storage(about 750 megs each).

It all seems funny now at how we thought so differently. Now space is almost a non-concern.

Dave
                                Dave Mason
                                [email protected]
                                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                                X