Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can alpha do this? Any advice welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can alpha do this? Any advice welcome

Can Alpha do this?

Hi everyone,

Can Alpha do this without me needing to become an xbasic expert? (I�m afraid I just don�t have time):
    I want to open another office, but have their data uploaded daily into the main office�s database, so we only have one central database and do not ever duplicate, though I must know and be able to identify that a certain record came from office 2.

Office 2 must be able to process clients locally even if the server is down, so they will need a copy of the main program, but not be able to amend the program, which essentially uploads new data to the main database online daily, identifying itself as office 2.

What must I learn to do this? Am I on the right track in thinking I need to:

Main office: Server has main program file and also has web application server, showing the database on the internet. This should be compiled with runtime, and users access the database locally with a shadow database on their machine.

Office 2: They also have a compiled runtime main database on a server. Workers input data on shadow databases on their machines. At the end of each day they upload the new information to the internet server. They can edit client information at some later date in their office, and when they upload the day�s work data to the internet server, that information is changed on the main database at the main office. (Though they must only be able to edit information that they themselves have first entered.)

Am I on the right track? Is my structure right, and will I need v8 professional, runtime and application server?

Any pointers in the right direction will be most welcome as I tried to work this out with version 6 but found it too difficult.

Can v8 make any of this easier?

Many thanks,
    Shaun

Re: Can alpha do this? Any advice welcome

Hi Shaun

I believe it can most certainly be done but I think you are looking up a tall mountain if you would like to do it without learning any xbasic. Action Scripting is very powerful though so you might be able to get it to work.

The one key concept I think you need is either a unique identifier number for each record that delineates where each record has come from or a field in the data table that simply records the office location (i.e. Main Office or Remote Office). This can be accomplished with Action Scripting as you can use it to set the value of either a variable or a field. The user would not have to enter the data. If you don't want to hard code this - this would require a "setup" file as I see it so you can tell the app whether it is the main office or the remote. All easily doable.

If you wanted to use the idea of having an autonumber routine that gives a unique ID number for each record in the database. So, for example you could have the UID numbers with a prefix such as "Rem" for remote and "Main" for Main.

REM000001
    REM000002
    REM000003
    etc

When merged into the main data table you could see all the records but you could easily tell which records came from where:

Main000001
    Main000002
    REM000001
    REM000002
    REM000003
    Main000003

If I were doing it, I think I might use both methods. But upon thinking about it - your best bet to do it without XBasic is probably to have the field I talked about in the first example. I think you can probably do most of what you want with Action Scripting that way. You can most likely handle the data transfer to the main table that way too.

Hope that helps some. Just my 2 cents - some of the more learned folks around here might have better ideas.

Regards...

Jef

Comment

This sounds like a job for Web Server.

Jim

Comment

Thanks guys.

In v8 is the web server called Application Server?

The main thing I am concerned about is how the remote office will upload their data. I want them to each day upload any changes they have made i.e. new records and ammended existing records to the internet site.

Thanks,
        Shaun

Comment

Shaun,

Web server may be the answer, however there are many systems running by internet tunnelling today and so can Alpha.

First concern is a server that rarely goes down and a solid internet setup. You can the give access from the server so the other computers (only!) can connect. This way all the user data can be entered and used as needed.

As far as keeping them seperate, You can set up an account for each location in you main company table and connect this to a same field in your records.

I believe this to be the best method. I use it in a lot of my programs.

Dave Mason
          www.lotrun.com
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
          X