Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Why cant i make a form work like other parts of Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why cant i make a form work like other parts of Alpha

Marcel,

Nice job! That I really like. Thanks so much. But, what is the code to allow Alpha to recede to the background?

Also, does anyone know if you can set the main Alpha window frame style to "dialog" or "tool", the way you can with forms?
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

You can 'reset' the topmost status with: SetWindowPos(hwnd, HWND_NOTOPMOST, 0, 0, 0, 0, FLAGS)

Originally posted by Peter G
      Also, does anyone know if you can set the main Alpha window frame style to "dialog" or "tool", the way you can with forms?
      Peter, I don't know.
      Last edited by Marcel Kollenaar; 01-26-2007, 07:05 PM.
      Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
      ---- Confusius ----

Comment

Thanks, Marcel. I am going to use your technology!
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

We did it as a TEAM!
          Marcel

---- Confusius ----

Comment

Marcel,

I can't get it to work from a button. See attached.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Help The Zip files are messing up Alpha...

Marcel and Peter

I am having a very bad side effect after running your Zipped files.

I am not sure of the one making this problem but one of them when you click on something it closed down Alpha.

Now the problem is when i am in Alpha trying to work on another program when i Select a form And right click on it and pick anything in the drop down list it auto shuts off Alpha. Alpha closes down.

I can not use any of the drop down menu items.

It only started doing this right after i tried the two zipped files.

Tbl_States.zip and A5 Window Popup.zip

I have re booted and still have this problem.
              Something in one of the zip files changed something in Alpha making it not work right.

How can i undo this??

Comment

Ed,

Just a thought but have you tried reverting back to what you had prior to using the zip files by using a current backup? If it is something in the current database then a backup you hopefully have made of the database. If it is something within Alpha itself that has been corrupted then maybe a reinstall of Alpha would be in order...but make sure of what is corrupt before doing anything!!!

Mike
                Mike

Comment

I am not sure what is going on it now just started working back agen and i did nothing.

It shut down Alpha a good ten times before and after i rebooted.

Comment

Now after another re boot i am having the same problem all over agan.

Any Alpha project i open and click on a right click drop down list will shut down Alpha.

Any clues?

Comment

Re: Help The Zip files are messing up Alpha...

Originally posted by Digitaled View Post
                      Marcel and Peter
                      I am having a very bad side effect after running your Zipped files.

I am not sure of the one making this problem but one of them when you click on something it closed down Alpha.

Now the problem is when i am in Alpha trying to work on another program when i Select a form And right click on it and pick anything in the drop down list it auto shuts off Alpha. Alpha closes down.

I can not use any of the drop down menu items.

It only started doing this right after i tried the two zipped files.

Tbl_States.zip and A5 Window Popup.zip

I have re booted and still have this problem.
                      Something in one of the zip files changed something in Alpha making it not work right.

How can i undo this??
                      @Edward: I cannot replicate your problem but I discovered also a slight change in the A5 appearance on my PC.

My version started always with the menu bar active and then the splash screen. Now I see the menu bar after the splash screen has ended. It looks like some startup parameters are changed after running the example. I don't know where to look to get the original settings.

---- Edit ---
                      Checking this behaviour on my reference pc it is A5's normal behaviour. Thus, I have no problems after running the databases. What the problem can cause is unknown to me, Edward.

Can you zip the version that shut down Alpha and put it here (with a warning sign). I'll look at it if it causes the same problems.

@Peter: I'm busy trying to solve this problem. I discovered that the 'Alpha Five' Window object disappears from the list - sys_id_enum() - when running the A5.hide() code and try to find out a position where the code belongs, autoexec, OnInit, OnExit etc. So far no success. I'm wondering where the Alpha Five Window object is.

And I'm studying the code Ronald made. Don't understand it yet and maybe he can jump in

------------ Edit ----------------

Ok, Peter here is what I did.

I discovered that the Alpha Five Window disappeared from the Window list or at least it was renamed. That's why the sys_id_get("Alpha Five") went wrong.

I used the good old GetActiveWindow() API function to get the "main" Alpha Five window pointer. I did some research and saw that this function always returned the main window pointer.

I inactivated the set on top action in the autoexec. I made the rest of the code global so it can be used everywhere.

I added some buttons to the test form to start the set on top action "Set Top" and stop the set on top action with "Set Not Top".

After that I added also the 'set on top' and 'set not on top' code to the OnInit and OnExit event of the States form.

If you start the database A5 is not set on top. It stays as it always was. When you push the popup button the states form appears and A5 is set on top. When you quit the states form a5 is set not on top (normal situation).

The buttons recede, set top and set not top are in a certain way useless now but I kept them on the form for the code.

The button Window list was just to see where the Alpha Five window was.

RESUME
                      Autoexec script:
                      I added the line: Declare user32 GetActiveWindow L
                      I inactivated the line 'SetWindowPos(hwnd, HWND_TOPMOST, 0, 0, 0, 0, FLAGS)

I made the constants global.
                      constant global SWP_NOMOVE = 2
                      Constant global SWP_NOSIZE = 1
                      Constant global FLAGS = SWP_NOMOVE .OR. SWP_NOSIZE
                      Constant global HWND_TOPMOST = -1
                      Constant global HWND_NOTOPMOST = -2

Added a test line: 'ui_msg_box("INFO",sys_id_enum())

Added 3 buttons to the test form.

Added the TOPMOST and NOTOPMOST code to the States OnInit and OnExit events.

I think Richard has to do some explanation of his part of the code.

Last edited by Marcel Kollenaar; 01-27-2007, 07:38 AM. Reason: Solution Added!
                      Marcel

---- Confusius ----

Comment

Originally posted by Digitaled View Post
                        Now after another re boot i am having the same problem all over agan.

Any Alpha project i open and click on a right click drop down list will shut down Alpha

Any clues?
                        Ed, find it hard to believe that the zip file had anything to do with your problem. Although perhaps Marcel's code did something; I don't believe the standard xbasic code in that example would do anything adverse to your machine. In any case, try these one or both of these things:

1. ununstall Alpha, reboot & reinstall

if that doesn't fix things:

2. use system restore and use the last restore point (i.e. date) before you began having problems. The latter will surely fix it, if the former doesn't.
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                          ... Although perhaps Marcel's code did something; I don't believe the standard xbasic code in that example would do anything adverse to your machine.
                          Everything is possible but it's hard to believe that these two function calls will mess up the system. The two API call I use are standard Window Application Programming Interface calls. I use them now explicit to serve a certain goal. Normally otherwise every Window program use these calls under the hood. The SetWindowPos only sets the active Alpha Five main Window On Top and keeps it there and does only a memory write. The GetActiveWindow function just reads a value and does no writing. The functions don't write to the Window register or otherwise.

I use these and a lot of other API functions and do a lot of tinkering with it.
                          Sure I get my program crashes but I start A5 again and had never problems that A5 was damaged.

DECLARE user32 SetWindowPos LLLLLLLL
                          Declare user32 GetActiveWindow L

I think it must be a combination of factors that causes the problem.

As I said in a post before. Send me your version of the zip files by forum mail and I unzip them and run them on my computer again.
                          Marcel

---- Confusius ----

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Kollenaar View Post
                            Everything is possible but it's hard to believe that these two function calls will mess up the system.
                            Marcel,

I was being cautious, but I agree with you. Something else on his system caused the crash, not to mention the fact that Ed is using v8, which is either beta or "pre-beta", whatever that means.
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Ehhh, this is a Version 7 forum

Thanks for the update Peter.
                              Marcel

---- Confusius ----

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Kollenaar View Post
                                Ehhh, this is a Version 7 forum
                                Yup.

Your revised code works well. That is a really great contribution, Marcel. I hope others will "see" this and use it.
                                Peter
                                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X