Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Query optional ASK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query optional ASK

I have a query with multiple prompted ASK (.AND.) conditions. How do I ignore one (or more) of the conditions in the parameters window if that input is not available?

If I leave any input blank I receive a NO records found response.

Is there a special character I can enter in the ASK which will tell the program to ignore this particular AND condition?

Thanks

Re: Query optional ASK

No, I don't believe so. In this situation your script must build the filter expression omitting the empty (blank) variables. Alternatively, you could present a series of buttons so the user could specify which conditions he or she wants to use. i.e button1 would prompt for lname; button2 would prompt for lname + fname; button3 would prompt for lname, fname + gender. and so on.

Comment

Kurt,

If I am going to have several paramters for a report that are not normal to filter it, I generally make an in-between-form(my word) that asks for the needed data to filter with. Then a script is written to make the query work. This makes it simpler because the asks are in one place and no surprises.

example:

database with many cars sold and I need certain years of a make and model.

form would have
      year from year to
      make
      model

I can then make my query to do a between on the year and only print the makes and models dropped in.

If there is no model, the that portion would be left out.

Hope I helped
      Dave
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I have a query with multiple prompted ASK (.AND.) conditions.
        Is there a special character I can enter in the ASK which will tell the program to ignore this particular AND condition?
        yeh..instead of .AND. in your script, use .OR.

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
          yeh..instead of .AND. in your script, use .OR.
          In that case, if you leave a blank field, you will not get filtered result. All records will be displayed.

Comment

Originally posted by samed View Post
            In that case, if you leave a blank field, you will not get filtered result. All records will be displayed.
            Correct.
            There can be only one.

Comment

If I leave any input blank I receive a NO records found response.
              if you leave a blank field, you will not get filtered result. All records will be displayed.
              The logic of these two diametrically opposite statements escapes me!

Comment

The logic of these two diametrically opposite statements escapes me!
                :) try it on sample, pictures is better than thousand words... In first quote I think he was refering that he was using .AND. to connect conditions and in second quote I was talking about using .OR.
                Here is what I was trying to set for this sample, maybe it will help.

Example:

You have first name and last name in database.
                Make two logical variables (lets call them vFirst and vLast), and make two variables vfirstname and vlastname.
                In filter expression condition searching by variable vfirstname value with vFirst being TRUE and condition searching by variable vlastname value with vLast being TRUE. Problem I see is if you have too many ASKs, maybe some experienced member can help in making such expression so you avoid combining all possible combinations with IF expression.

Hope it helps.

Samed

Comment

duplicate..
                  Last edited by G Gabriel; 03-27-2007, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Samed:
                    I am not sure I understand the example you are providing.. I was not resonding to an abstract assumption, but rather to a specific situation.

There is no one answer fits all, when the context changes, the answer changes. Your example represents a different context, and I am not quite sure exactly what do yo mean by "have too many ASKs"
                    Last edited by G Gabriel; 03-27-2007, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Samed:
                      I am not sure I understand the example you are providing.. I was not resonding to an abstract assumption, but rather to a specific situation.

There is no one answer fits all, when the context changes, the answer changes. Your example represents a different context, and I am not quite sure exactly what do yo mean by "have too many ASKs"
                      Sorry if I made any unclear statement, I am not good at alpha but I had a simmilar problem as the one above and I solved it like in my example since I really don`t know anything that could "tell the program to ignore this particular AND condition" as posted in problem so I used logical variables to tell query which character variables to use in query.
                      To me it is not bad solution, then again I am true newbie...

Comment

There are many ways to handle a situation where you want the filter to ignore an ".and." condition:

let's say, you have an askc for zip code, let's call it askC_Zip.
                        If your filter says: askC_1.and.AskC_2.and.askc_zip
                        This means, you want to filter a table in which all three conditions are met.
                        What if the user does not enter anything in askC_zip?
                        This means, the filter will look for record(s) in which condition1 is true, condition2 is true and the zip code is blank. If you don't have any records in which the zip code is blank, you will get: no records were found.
                        How to make it ignore that?
                        My previous response was to change the filter to:
                        condition1.and.condition2.OR.askC_zip

As you can see, the first 2 conditions will be true, the third will not, and the correct record(s) will be retrieved.

This is a very simple solution to the question that was asked, and I like simple.

If you want a more complicated solution, you could for example say:
                        condition1.and.condition2.and.if(var->askC_zip='',zip<>'',var->askc_zip)

We could get even more complicated, but Why?

Comment

Because it doesn't work that way.

askC_1.and.AskC_2.and.askc_zip

Suppose askC_1 asks for a first name, AskC_2 asks for a last name, askc_zip asks for a zipcode

Supplying all three values Tom, Cone, 33601 would return records where

first name = "tom" and last name = "cone" and zipcode = "33601"

Using askC_1.and.AskC_2.OR.askC_zip would return records where

first name = "tom" and last name = "cone" OR zip code = "33601"

Thus you would get all records where the zip code = 33601, probably not what is wanted. For the solution to work it must satisfy the original intent as well as the special case of one ask being left blank.
                          There can be only one.

Comment

If you wish to ignore at times, but not others, then use:
                            condition1.and.condition2.and.if(var->askC_zip='',zip<>'',var->askc_zip)

Comment

This is how I got what I needed:

(Datum >= Var->IZVJ_datpoc ) .and. (Datum <= Var->IZVJ_datzav ) .and. if(isnotblank('Var->IZVJ_konto'), (Sifra_konta = Var->IZVJ_konto ), (Sifra_Konta=Sifra_Konta)) .and. if(isnotblank("Var->IZVJ_part"), (Partner = Var->IZVJ_part ), ("Partner"="Partner")) .and. if(isnotblank("Var->IZVJ_opis"), (Var->IZVJ_opis $ Opis_dok), ("Opis_Dok"="Opis_Dok"))

I am sure there are better ways to solve this but this works finr for me. If I don`t fill in anything, it just retrieves all values of that field instead of filtering it.

Comment

Working...
                              X