Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Why is adding time and subtracting time so hard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is adding time and subtracting time so hard?

I have two date/time fields. I'm trying to subtract start and end times, as so many have before me. Is there a good reference for this? It seems inordinately difficult. I have read, and re-read thread after thread, the docs and played with this until the frustration is too much to take.

The answers seem to point to using toseconds(). So I go to learn about this function.

docs:
    Numeric Count = TOSECONDS( Formatted_Time as C )
    Converts a Formatted_Time containing a time value to an integer Count equal to the number of seconds past midnight.
    SO I GIVE IT A WHIRL -

Code:
    dim vdtT as T

vdtT = now()
    ? vdtT
    = 08/27/2007 12:03:05 61 pm

dim vcT as C
    vcT = format_data(vdtT,"0")
    ? vcT
    = "08/27/2007 12:03:05 61 pm"

dim vnT as N
    vnT = toseconds(vcT)
    ? vnT
    = 8
    Can someone please explain why this answer is 8 and not 43385 (12*3600 + 3*60 + 5)?
    Mike W

Re: Why is adding time and subtracting time so hard?

Mike:
    Can someone please explain why this answer is 8 and not 43385 (12*3600 + 3*60 + 5)
    toseconds() takes formated time as a parameter, NOT a character. vcT is character.
    Code:
    dim vdtT as T
    vdtT = "08/27/2007 12:03:05 61 pm"
    ?toseconds(time("h:m:s am",vdtT))
    = 43385
    Last edited by G Gabriel; 08-27-2007, 12:59 PM.

Comment

As an aid in helping you with future time calculations, try having a look at my
      Time Difference post in the code archive. Its a form that does vary time difference calculations. Although written in v4.5, it should work in all future versions.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...elvin+Davidson

Comment

GABRIEL,
        Thanks, you got me on the right track. Partially. Yes it will take it as a Character, just without the date component
        Code:
        dim vdtT as T

vdtT = now()
        ? vdtT
        = 08/27/2007 01:58:32 56 pm

dim vcT as C
        ? vcT
        = "08/27/2007 01:58:32 56 pm"

[COLOR="Red"]dim vcT2 as C
        vcT2 = substr(vcT,12,14)
        ? vcT2
        = "01:58:32 56 pm"[/COLOR]

dim vnT as C
        vnT = toseconds(vcT2)
        ? vnT
        = 53536
        The docs are very misleading/wrong:
        Assume you stored the time at which an event started in a field called START, and the time at which the event ended in a field called end. To compute the duration of the event, you use the following expression:

Code:
        toseconds(end) - toseconds(START)
        maybe, but what value type does the variable that collects this difference have to be? 'cause ... as T, ... as A, ...as C ...as N, as... all return "argument is incorrect data type". I cannot get this to deliver a workable variable... so this documentation is either wrong, misleading, or something.... but it is not helpful. I'm sensing that getting to understand how to work with time values with math functions is going to be a grind and require expressions with compound functions. Again, why is this so convoluted?
        Mike W

Comment

Melvin,
          Thanks. I'll download and study.
          Mike W

Comment

Yes it will take it as a Character, just without the date component
            I'm sensing that getting to understand how to work with time values with math functions is going to be a grind and require expressions with compound functions. Again, why is this so convoluted?
            Mike:
            Remeber, there is no such a thing as a true "Time" type field. I would venture to say, this is not just alpha's problem. Think about it. What is time? Time is a very weired animal. Is it character? not really, we measure time in terms of numbers. So, is it numeric? yes, but..not really, it does not follow the 0 to 9 pattern. So what the heck is it or how to accomodate it?
            In the past, alpha never had "Time" fields, only character. Time fields are a "genetically engineered character field", so yes, if you eliminate the date part you could use the time part. You could create your own function that does that, but I am not sure if it will be much simpler than alpha's. You already created one using substr().

If you want to calculate the time difference between two "Time" fields (i.e. type T), the simplest way is:

Code:
            dim t1 as t=now()
            dim t2 as t=now()
            ?t1
            = 08/27/2007 02:59:18 87 pm

?t2
            = 08/27/2007 02:59:34 95 pm

?t2-t1
            = 16.078
            No need for toseconds()
            P.S
            Can you see what a slow typist I am?
            Last edited by G Gabriel; 08-27-2007, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
              GABRIEL,
              Thanks, you got me on the right track. Partially. Yes it will take it as a Character, just without the date component
              Code:
              dim vdtT as T

vdtT = now()
              ? vdtT
              = 08/27/2007 01:58:32 56 pm

dim vcT as C
              ? vcT
              = "08/27/2007 01:58:32 56 pm"

[COLOR=red]dim vcT2 as C[/COLOR]
              [COLOR=red]vcT2 = substr(vcT,12,14)[/COLOR]
              [COLOR=red]? vcT2[/COLOR]
              [COLOR=red]= "01:58:32 56 pm"[/COLOR]

dim vnT as C
              vnT = toseconds(vcT2)
              ? vnT
              = 53536
              The docs are very misleading/wrong:

maybe, but what value type does the variable that collects this difference have to be? 'cause ... as T, ... as A, ...as C ...as N, as... all return "argument is incorrect data type". I cannot get this to deliver a workable variable... so this documentation is either wrong, misleading, or something.... but it is not helpful. I'm sensing that getting to understand how to work with time values with math functions is going to be a grind and require expressions with compound functions. Again, why is this so convoluted?
              First I have to agree - Yes, it is very awkward to work with (add/subtract) time values.

As you pointed out in your first post, the Help file says the ToSeconds() function takes a character value and this is absolutely correct:
              Numeric Count = TOSECONDS( Formatted_Time as C )

BUT formatting the Time() function with "am" messes up the ToSeconds() function because ToSeconds() doesn't look at the am/pm designation. Just leave off the "am" - note the difference in the result:

vdtT = now()
              ? vdtT
              = 08/27/2007 04:40:05 92 pm

?time("h:m:s am",vdtt)
              = "4:40:5 pm"

?time("0h:0m:0s",vdtt)
              = "16:40:05"

Or, just do it the easy way if you don't need the date to start with:

?time()
              = "16:45:03"

I haven't done it for awhile but when I needed to check if a date/time range was from before midnight to after midnight, I simply saved a separate date value and time value at each point then checked them both.

I suppose it would be nice if Alpha could build a function that could take two time variables (like from the Now() function) and determine the number of seconds between them. It shouldn't be terribly difficult to write your own but it would be nice to have one built-in and preferably written in a very fast language (C++?) in case it gets used in a loop.

Comment

I suppose it would be nice if Alpha could build a function that could take two time variables (like from the Now() function) and determine the number of seconds between them.
                Cal:
                You must not have read my last post. That function is already there and it's a simple one, it's the minus operator as in:

end-start

Also:
                The presence of "am" is reduntant when it comes to toseconds() but it does not mess up anything:

Code:
                vdtT = now()
                ? vdtT
                = 08/27/2007 04:05:38 46 pm

?toseconds(time("h:m:s am",vdtt))
                = 57938
                ?toseconds(time("h:m:s",vdtt))
                = 57938
                Last edited by G Gabriel; 08-27-2007, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Gabriel,
                  I think you are incorrect in your statement that am/pm are not problematic.

Cal was responding to the inaccuracy of this in the documents:
                  Assume you stored the time at which an event started in a field called START, and the time at which the event ended in a field called end. To compute the duration of the event, you use the following expression:

toseconds(end) - toseconds(START)
                  If the fields are Time fields, the output of this equation when 'end' and 'START' are date-time fields is what?

Numeric: "argument is incorrect data type".
                  Character: "argument is incorrect data type"
                  short time: "argument is incorrect data type"

You can't make this equation resolve into a variable as far as I can tell without a format change of the date-time value in the date-time fields. You have to end up using time() to format the date-time field values. The docs are not accurate. Time() is the method to get rid of the am/pm that Cal was referring to, which you, yourself, resorted to.

You just cannot use math functions directly to a date-time value. It must be re-formated.
                  Mike W

Comment

Mike:
                    You lost me!
                    If you have a field, START (type T)
                    and another field, END which is also type T
                    and you want to find the time difference in seconds between the two, then all you have to do is:
                    Code:
                    End-Start.
                    As I illustrated earlier:
                    Code:
                    dim t1 as t=now()
                    dim t2 as t=now()
                    ?t1
                    = 08/27/2007 02:59:18 87 pm

?t2
                    = 08/27/2007 02:59:34 95 pm

?t2-t1
                    = 16.078
                    As you can see in the above code, the difference is 16.078 seconds, and as I mentioned earlier, you don't need to use toseconds() to get that difference.

But, in response to Cal's comment, again, if you are using toseconds() for some other reason, the am makes no difference, again, as I illustrated earlier:

Code:
                    vdtT = now()
                    ? vdtT
                    = 08/27/2007 04:05:38 46 pm

?toseconds(time("h:m:s [COLOR="Blue"][B]am[/B][/COLOR]",vdtt))
                    = 57938
                    ?toseconds(time("h:m:s",vdtt))
                    = 57938
                    I am not making any comments in regards to what the docs says as I have no idea what it says and whether it is misleading or not.

Comment

I just read the docs in regards to toseconds()
                      Is it misleading?
                      No.. but obscure:
                      it says:
                      ".....Assume you stored the time at which an event started in a field called START, and the time at which the event ended in a field called end. To compute the duration of the event, you use the following expression:
                      toseconds(end) - toseconds(START)..."

But if you follow all along from the beginning it tells you:
                      "Syntax
                      Count as N = TOSECONDS( Formatted_Time as C )"

and also tells you:
                      "...Converts a Formatted_Time containing a time value.."

and all the examples provided show formatted time.
                      I am not defending the docs and understand your frustrations, but after looking at the docs for long enough time, you get to understand the idiosyncracies and get to know what they mean. Remember, these docs weren't written by Shakespeare either.
                      Last edited by G Gabriel; 08-27-2007, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Mike,

Here is a help page on date time subtraction which I got to from this page of Date and Time Functions which I found by Index > "date" > functions.

Like Gabe said all you need to to do is Endfield-Startfield. This gives a numeric result in seconds. Then use ToTime() to display the seconds as a time value.

There is I think a typo in the Date Time Subtraction page. I think
                        Result as D = Operand1 as T - Seconds as N should be

Result as T = Operand1 as T - Seconds as N
                        Tim Kiebert
                        Eagle Creek Citrus
                        A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by CALocklin View Post

I haven't done it for awhile but when I needed to check if a date/time range was from before midnight to after midnight, I simply saved a separate date value and time value at each point then checked them both.
                          Cal,

It would seem from the below interactive window results that subtracting a before midnight date time value (type T) from an after midnight date time value returns the correct elapsed time.
                          Code:
                          t2 = ctodt("28/08/2007 02:39:06 59 am")
                          ?t2
                          = 28/08/2007 02:39:06 59 am

t1 = ctodt("27/08/2007 11:15:06 59 pm")
                          ?t1
                          = 27/08/2007 11:15:06 59 pm

?t2-t1
                          = 12240

?totime(t2-t1,2,0)
                          = "3:24:00"
                          even spanning more than one day
                          Code:
                          t2 = ctodt("28/08/2007 02:39:06 59 am")
                          ?t2
                          = 28/08/2007 02:39:06 59 am

t1 = ctodt("26/08/2007 11:15:06 59 pm")
                          ?t1
                          = 26/08/2007 11:15:06 59 pm

?t2-t1
                          = 98640

?totime(t2-t1,2,0)
                          = "27:24:00"
                          Tim Kiebert
                          Eagle Creek Citrus
                          A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

OK guys, give me a chance to reply! My wife has me doing some work around the house, too. (It only took her 22 years to get me to finish the basement stairs - as in "make custom trim to cover all the cat scratches, install it, sand the steps to clean up the years of dirt accumulation, stain 'em, and polyurethane 'em" - and I'm still not sure why it's a big deal since it's basically used only for storage. Oh, well, it's now 95% done. All I need to do is add the handrail once it dries.)

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
                            Cal:
                            You must not have read my last post.
                            Actually, you're right. I didn't read it because I was still writing my reply to the previous post. There were so many interruptions while I was putting together my post that it probably took at least an hour from start to finish. By the time I finally posted it, you had already replied.

But you are correct. That is awfully easy, isn't it! And I missed it completely.

As I said to a new developer just a couple days ago (bold added), "Always remember that you can always learn from any other programmer. ... [including beginners] ... Sometimes "experience" can put you in a rut. Most beginners know they should listen to an "old hat" but some "old hats" should learn to listen to beginners as well - the smart ones already do."

If you read on you'll see where the "rut" started this time.

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
                            I am not defending the docs and understand your frustrations, but after looking at the docs for long enough time, you get to understand the idiosyncracies and get to know what they mean. Remember, these docs weren't written by Shakespeare either.
                            And, if you've been dealing with A5 long enough, you begin to understand that some of these issues may have occurred because many of the Help topics were written long ago. I opened my copy of A5v1 and checked the Help files. (I'm finally converting my last A5v1 customer to A5v8. Hurray!!) There was no now() command back then and this is from the A5v1 Help for the toseconds() command:

Assume you stored the time at which an event started in a field called START, and the time at which the event ended in a field called END. To compute the duration of the event, you use the following expression:

TOSECONDS(END) - TOSECONDS(START)

Look familiar? It should because the current Help still says the same thing. It doesn't help today's user much but it does make more sense when you realize that the Now() command didn't exist back then.

Note that it also says a FIELD called END. Trust me, you could not use a VARIABLE named END because the script would read it as the end of the script. At that time, when the script compiler saw END at the beginning of the line, it apparently ended the script no matter what came after the word "END".

So, I learned something new and useful today. Let's see, I now know this worked in A5v4 so how many years have I been stuck in that rut?? Well, the only thing I can say in my defense is: Guess which app it was that I had to get the elapsed time between a start and end time - Yep, that's right, the one that I'm just now converting from A5v1! What perfect timing!

Comment

I think a small detail was forgotten:

toseconds() calculates the time in seconds SINCE MIDNIGHT. That's it. It is not meant to calculate the difference between two time fields, that's unless they fall in the SAME DATE.

So, if you have time fields, i.e. type T, they will have both the date & time elements and if you wish (and here is why I said the docs are not misleading, but rather obsecure) to calculate the difference using toseconds(), you've got to have a separate calculation for the date differnce and multiply that by seconds.

When the docs say:

".....Assume you stored the time at which an event started in a field called START, and the time at which the event ended in a field called end. To compute the duration of the event, you use the following expression:
                              toseconds(end) - toseconds(START)..."

it makes the assumption that you are still aware of the fact that toseconds CALCULATES ONLY TIME DIFFERENCE, Not date & time differnce.
                              Last edited by G Gabriel; 08-28-2007, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X