Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Convert Memo to data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Convert Memo to data

Hi,

I would think that the field name could be taken care of when importing / entering the data but if not then you could use TABLE.FIELDNAME_CHANGE() programatically to change it if that is what you needed to do.

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...E_CHANGE().htm
    Mike

Comment

Hi there, seem like I can't put 32/34 as a field name. It changed to A2_34, is there a way to put it as 32/34? Do I need to put something infront like in Excel?

Cheers

Comment

A fieldname can't begin with a number. You'll have to convert the list to have a character in front of each size before creating the table.

Code:
        lst = "32/36,36/38,38/40,40/42,42/44,44/46"
        lst = "SZ"+stritran(lst,",",",SZ")
        ? lst
        = "SZ32/36,SZ36/38,SZ38/40,SZ40/42,SZ42/44,SZ44/46"

lst = stritran(lst,chr(47),"_")

? lst
        = "SZ32_36,SZ36_38,SZ38_40,SZ40_42,SZ42_44,SZ44_46"

lst = comma_to_crlf(lst)
        ? lst
        = SZ32_36
        SZ36_38
        SZ38_40
        SZ40_42
        SZ42_44
        SZ44_46
        Last edited by Stan Mathews; 01-10-2008, 09:22 AM.
        There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks Stan, I tried ur method but I get Sz32-34, Sz34-36, if user enter XL-L, L-M then it will show Szxl_l, it seem like after the first character is in Uppercase the rest is lowercase. I tried using the UT command, still the same.
          How to I force it to uppercase all the way.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by samt2046 View Post
            Thanks Stan, I tried ur method but I get Sz32-34, Sz34-36, if user enter XL-L, L-M then it will show Szxl_l, it seem like after the first character is in Uppercase the rest is lowercase. I tried using the UT command, still the same.
            How to I force it to uppercase all the way.Cheers.
            Leong,

Maybe I have missed someting but it seems that you have COMPLETELY CHANGED THE GAME!

Please forgive me but this thead reads all about numbers (33-34, etc) and now you have brought up characters (XL-L, L-M). What is that about!! What exactly are you going for, because it seems that you have COMPLETELY CHANGED THE GAME!

All aboard, please correct me if I am wrong.
            Mike W

Comment

Sorry dude, the 32/34 is about Size, so the user can enter XL, L, M, S as size. 32/34 sometime can refer to size M.

Cheers

Comment

How to I force it to uppercase all the way.

Cheers.
                You couldn't possibly have gotten Sz32-34 if you used what I posted earlier. There was nothing that would change "SZ" into "Sz".

Whatever

Code:
                lst = "32/36,36/38,38/40,40/42,42/44,44/46,s,m,l,xl"
                lst = "sz"+stritran(lst,",",",sz")
                ? lst
                = "sz32/36,sz36/38,sz38/40,sz40/42,sz42/44,sz44/46,szs,szm,szl,szxl"
                lst = UT(lst)
                ? lst
                = "SZ32/36,SZ36/38,SZ38/40,SZ40/42,SZ42/44,SZ44/46,SZS,SZM,SZL,SZXL"

? lst
                = "SZ32_36,SZ36_38,SZ38_40,SZ40_42,SZ42_44,SZ44_46,SZS,SZM,SZL,SZXL"

lst = comma_to_crlf(lst)
                ? lst
                = SZ32_36
                SZ36_38
                SZ38_40
                SZ40_42
                SZ42_44
                SZ44_46
                SZS
                SZM
                SZL
                SZXL
                There can be only one.

Comment

Perhaps he has his field's property format style set to "First letter uppercase, rest lowercase" and inadvertantly used a dash "-" instead of the underscore "_" in your script ?????
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                    Perhaps he has his field's property format style set to "First letter uppercase, rest lowercase" and inadvertantly used a dash "-" instead of the underscore "_" in your script ?????
                    Hadn't considered the display property. You're probably right there.

If more readability of field names is desired try

Code:
                    lst = "32/36,36/38,38/40,40/42,42/44,44/46,s,m,l,xl"
                    lst = "sz_"+stritran(lst,",",",sz_")
                    ? lst
                    = "sz_32/36,sz_36/38,sz_38/40,sz_40/42,sz_42/44,sz_44/46,sz_s,sz_m,sz_l,sz_xl"
                    lst = UT(lst)
                    ? lst
                    = "SZ_32/36,SZ_36/38,SZ_38/40,SZ_40/42,SZ_42/44,SZ_44/46,SZ_S,SZ_M,SZ_L,SZ_XL"

? lst
                    = "SZ_32_36,SZ_36_38,SZ_38_40,SZ_40_42,SZ_42_44,SZ_44_46,SZ_S,SZ_M,SZ_L,SZ_XL"

lst = comma_to_crlf(lst)
                    ? lst
                    = SZ_32_36
                    SZ_36_38
                    SZ_38_40
                    SZ_40_42
                    SZ_42_44
                    SZ_44_46
                    SZ_S
                    SZ_M
                    SZ_L
                    SZ_XL
                    Alpha doesn't like punctuation, other than underscores, in table and field names.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Sorry dude, the 32/34 is about Size, so the user can enter XL, L, M, S as size. 32/34 sometime can refer to size M.
                      Cheers
                      Sorry,
                      I misunderstood, and didn't realize that letters were allowable, but instead took it to mean there was now needed a translation step when the user entered a letters value to fill the field with it's corresponding number value for that letter. I see now that was an incorrect assumption.
                      Mike W

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                        Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
                        Hadn't considered the display property. You're probably right there.

Alpha doesn't like punctuation, other than underscores, in table and field names.
                        Hi guys, I am having A5 withdrawal symptoms so needed a fix.

Remember, Leong is incorporating a crosstab in his process. (of which maybe he can give us(you guys) a more detailed explanation) So the data that ends up in the list variable of sizes eventually become field names. The format of field names in Alpha is such that only the leading character remains upper case except after an under score, then the next character also remains upper case. Try adding a new field to a table and see what you get. AAAA will saves as Aaaa and AAA_AAA will save as Aaa_Aaa. This is not related to the formating of the data in the field. You can however specify a different Format in the field rules under 'Default descriptive name' and this will display as the field name instead and will also be used as the default value when adding a label on a form.

So in Leong's case if this format is important enough I think he will need to script an update of the field rules adding in a Default descriptive name for each field.
                        Tim Kiebert
                        Eagle Creek Citrus
                        A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Good catch. I was thinking that by "I tried ur method" he meant the script itself, not the end result.
                          There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks, Tim and Stan, I got that but how do I use xbasic to insert a browse into a form?

I got the Size into a temp file, into a crosstab, update the db, now I need to insert a browse into the form I have created but due to the crosstab, I can't use a static browse, I need to create the browse after the user enter the size.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                            X