Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

One toolbar and menu to rule them all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One toolbar and menu to rule them all

Hi, all.

Is there a way to create just one toolbar and drop-down menu that will stay up regardless of what form, browse, query mode, etc. is active? Instead of tweaking all those system menus and toolbars.
    Jim

Re: One toolbar and menu to rule them all

Create your toolbar/menu then add them to all your forms.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Jose,

Are you trying to get a tool bar that would dynamically change depending on what form/browse you are using?

Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

If you just edit the system menus and toolbars they will remain as the default selection for your forms, then you don't have to assign anything different.
        Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

I want the same toolbar and menu on top regardless of which layout or query mode is up, like Microsoft Word has. (It only grays out those options that aren't applicable to what's on display.) It seems from the help file that the way to do it is to edit all the system toolbars and menus so they'd look the same. I'd been wondering if there was another, more straightforward way to do it. I guess not.
          Jim

Comment

Just a thought.

Have you tried ui_popup_menu() on buttons where you can gray out or change the output?

Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi, Dave.

Looked up the function you mentioned. It looks real interesting, but it looks like it involves customized Xdialog, which I am definitely not conversant with. And my question has more to do with a drop-down menu (as it is called in the help file), which would be plastered just under the main A5 title bar.

Another thing I'm concerned about, which is by no means a big deal, is the fact that, whenever you move from one layout type to another (e.g., from browse to form to QBF to print preview), Alpha Five actually changes the toolbar and menu bar each time, even if I have made them look all the same for all layouts. Wouldn't that result in an unsightly flicker, at least on slower computers, as the toolbar and menu bar are changed?

Is there a "master toolbar" or a "master drop-down menu" that will override whatever toolbar/menu is assigned to individual layouts? That will stay as rock-steady as the main title bar, or like the window bar in show() mode?
              Last edited by jmatienza; 06-09-2008, 08:12 PM.
              Jim

Comment

Jim,
                It sounds like you want your own custom menu to appear which can be assigned as the default menu in each of your forms' properties. Are you meaning something other than this?
                Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Robin,

Not exactly. That would mean having to tweak each and every system menu and toolbar so that they all look and act the same. That's not bad, but I'm thinking of something that (1) you only need to define once, and (2) that wouldn't need to go and then reappear every time you open another layout.

To use an analogy, you've heard of global variables? Well, this is a globar toolbar and a global menu bar I'm thinking about. It would be up for as long as you have Alpha Five open.

Sorry I'm having a hard time describing it clearly!
                  Jim

Comment

Jim,
                    I (and others) understand what you are saying but I have a feeling you are not understanding what has been said completely. As Robin said, define ONE menu, and ONE toolbar if wanted. That is it...all you have to do is to use these individual menu or toolbar as the only ones that will replace the system ones.....but yes, you do have to initially (and only ONE time) go into each form and change the default system menu and toolbars to the ones you created. They will be listed in the dropdown once created. If the question is how can you do this part all at once, then you are correct and cannot be done with Alpha (maybe Cal's Addons??). If this is not what you want then I also do not have a clue! :)

Mike

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the clarification and the attached image, which was very helpful. Yes, I see what you're saying. I became fixated on the system toolbars, of which there are several depending on the context. But, yes, I can define just one (non-system) toolbar and assign that to each layout and each context. But while it's possible to define it only once, you have to assign it many times during the design of each layout, as you noted:

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                      you do have to initially (and only ONE time) go into each form and change the default system menu and toolbars to the ones you created. They will be listed in the dropdown once created. If the question is how can you do this part all at once, then you are correct and cannot be done with Alpha (maybe Cal's Addons??)
                      In addition, there is the matter of the toolbar having to be redrawn each time you switch to another layout. It would be nice to have the option of "define once, assign once" throughout the entire app; to have a toolbar/menu "nailed down", so to speak. We can set master passwords and global variables, so why not a master menu or a global toolbar option?
                      Jim

Comment

But while it's possible to define it only once, you have to assign it many times during the design of each layout, as you noted
                        How is this different than setting any other object property? A5 does what you want, you just have to spend a few minutes and implement it.
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Jim,
                          You can also use a stand alone toolbar like the one in Alpha Sports' navigator bar. I use this feature and it is always present once opened with no repainting. I put only bitmap buttons on it to keep it narrow.

Also notice in Mike's screenshot that the system menus and toolbars are the default choice. If you edit these without copying then they will appear without having to be assigned.
                          Last edited by MoGrace; 06-10-2008, 10:44 AM.
                          Robin

Comment

I've started using this design for desktop applications. Narrow menu down the left, with submenus that swap out. The code for any submenu is simple, it closes the current one, and opens the requested menu:

ui_modeless_dlg_close("NavMain")
                            a5_toolbar_open("NavMaint",.t.)

The code to open any menu item is just the Action Script to open a Form. I force the whole application to operate full-screen (only one form visible at a time) for simplicity.
                            Steve Wood
                            See my profile on IADN

Comment

You cheated Steve that has to be a ver 8 app!
                              Robin

Comment

Working...
                              X