Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Auto increment field causes A5 to hang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto increment field causes A5 to hang

I think I have isolated a freeze (hang) problem during a simple calculated update script. In my database I have a table called Article where I want to update a field with 10% increase value. Works fine with use of a Genie under the Operations tab. Selected operation: Update records. This Article table has an auto increment ID field that should not be touched by the user in the application. The update script work OK, but only as long as the ID field is defined as: User entered under Extended field types. As soon as I change this unique ID field into an auto increment field (field rules) , the update script causes the application to hang. Have I missed something here?
    Regards from Norway, Hans Otto

Re: Auto increment field causes A5 to hang

The update script work OK, but only as long as the ID field is defined as: User entered under Extended field types.
    Is the ID field involved in the update? Are you trying to update the auto-increment field?

That could be the cause of the hang. An auto-increment cannot be directly changed by an operation of any sort, like a calculated field cannot.

A sample/example table (and its support files) is always helpful.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
      Is the ID field involved in the update? Are you trying to update the auto-increment field?.
      Thank you Stan, for trying to help me out here. I really wish I could answer YES to your question aboy the auto-increment field. Problem is, the auto-increment field is NOT involved in the calculation.

Actually, I created a new test database from scratch, with only one table. This table named Article consists of only 3 fields: ID (numeric, auto-increment), Text (Text field) and Value (numeric).
      The genie increases the Value field by 10% in the script correctly. That is all.
      I have not written or modified any script code. It is really confusing me. The result is still the same: The A5 generated script causes the application to hang.

Comment

zip your test database and post here
        Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
        972 524 8714
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
          zip your test database and post here
          Regards
          Hans Otto Beisv�g

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Otto View Post
            Regards
            Hans Otto Beisv�g
            The script I find, testscript, has the lines
            Code:
            [B]update.fields = 1
            update.field1 = "TALL"
            update.expr1 = "TALL + 100.000000"
            [/B]
            There is no "TALL" field in the sample "liste" table.
            There can be only one.

Comment

There is no "TALL" field in the sample "liste" table.
              Sorry, I pasted and old version of the script. Here is the corrected one.

You can also execute the Operation called: TestRutine from the Operations tab. That is the original Genie generated code wich I pasted in to the script: TestScript.

Hans Otto

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Otto View Post
                Sorry, I pasted and old version of the script. Here is the corrected one.

You can also execute the Operation called: TestRutine from the Operations tab. That is the original Genie generated code wich I pasted in to the script: TestScript.

Hans Otto
                Runs fine here either as the script or as the operation.
                There can be only one.

Comment

Runs fine here either as the script or as the operation.
                  It runs fine in your environment, but not here.. hmm

(I have the latest patch installed: version 8, build 1680, System Addins: Build 3089)

What I did: Generated an A5v8 runtime application of the Freeze database and launched it on my Laptop computer. Guess what happened? It runs with no problem!

Does someone have a clue where to start to look, find and then isolate the problem? It must be something wrong with my PC (Windows XP Home edition, Service Pack 2, 2.01 GHz 1.00 GB RAM, 34 GB free disc space ).

It does not make sense; as soon as I change the ID field into a non-auto-increment field, everything is fine on my PC as well.

Comment

I appear to be having a similar problem with Update Records on my own database: instead of hanging, i get 2 different messages. It's not clear what triggers each message.

The first says 0 records will be updated. And no records are updated by the operation. This message occurs most of the time.

The second message says 4027 records will be updated (which is the correct number of records). The records get updated just fine.

As soon as i change Auto Increment back to User Entered, i stop getting the first message. it appears to work fine.

I just installed the latest update: Version 8, build 1980-3163

Comment

Ray, thanks for the report, if you're looking for an explanation, or confirmation of a bug, please post a sample that illustrates the problem. -- tom

Comment

I'll have to agree with Tom.

I don't see a question. I don't see an attached sample illustrating the issue.

Lacking either of those two things there is not much anyone can do. Note that Hans was unable to repeat his problem on another machine and I was unable to duplicate it on mine. This would lead me to believe it could be installation related.

As for yours, I couldn't say. Haven't seen it.
                        There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                        X