Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

My Version 8 is soooo slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Version 8 is soooo slow

Several years ago I developed a membership record manager for a non-profit organization based on the sample membership manager db included with Alpha Five v4 (?) and they have been happily using it ever since, running on Alpha Five v4.5. I recently purchased Alpha Five v8 with the intent of upgrading the application since they want to purchase a new Vista-based computer. (That's another story.)

I have been testing v8 on my home computer using the v4.5 membership record manager application and have been shocked by how slow it runs. Especially after watching the video's for v8 on the Alpha Five web site.

For example:
    Alpha Five v4.5 Load Time: 5 sec
    Alpha Five v8 Load Time with Help Web Access: 2 min 10 sec
    Alpha Five v8 Load Time with local Help files: 1 min 45 sec

v4.5 Member Manager Application Load Time: 8 sec
    v8 Member Manager Application Load Time: 1 min 13 sec

v4.5 time to load typical new form: 2 sec
    v8 time to load typical new form: 39 sec

Do I have v8 set up correctly? Do I have enough RAM for v8? Is my computer too old and slow? Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, the test computer is a Sony RZ44G running XP SP2 Media Center Edition 2004 with a Pentium 4 at 2.8GHz with 512MB RAM and a 160 GB HD and a GeForce FX5200 with 128MB of VRAM.

Thanks,
    Jim Sadler

Re: My Version 8 is soooo slow

Jim

I am fairly new to Alpha so I can only comment A5V8.

But, I have a machine similar to yours that I use for development. I have 1 GB of memory however. Most of my apps load using A5V8 in less than 5 seconds.

You might want to take a look at the Windows Task Manager to see how much of your RAM is being taken by your other currently running programs. My experience is that A5V8 takes anywhere from 60-80 MB of free RAM to work smoothly.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

There is something wrong. I only have a 1.3 Mhz + 384MB RAM and v8 loads in about 5 seconds. How much free disk space do you have? Is your swap file too small perhaps?
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Jim
        My home based business is building new and repairing computers. The one thing I look for when I get a computer in the shop for repair with the complaint of programs running slow is spy ware. As soon as I remove the spy ware the computer is back up to speed. Spy ware will affect , email readers, internet explorer, you internet connection, ALPHA 5 and any program that uses ram. Make sure that you have a good antivirus and spy ware program installed. With out a doubt Trend Micro, www.trendmicro.com, has one of the best- Internet Security 2007. This program is a must for any new computer leaving my shop. Its cheap for the amount of protection that if gives. $49.95 for a 3 user. Also has network protection. Internet Security 2007 does not mess with the system files like others namely Norton. I have run ALPHA 5, ver 5 7 8 on computers with 512 to 2 gig memory cpu from 1400 mhz to 3.8 gig and have had no problem.

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X