Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A5 Platinum !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A5 Platinum !!!

I switched to a Vista machine and it worked fine.

That's pretty impressive stuff.
    Dermot Fitzpatrick
    www.fitzsolutions.com

Comment

we have put a huge effort into this - so we are delighted that you agree!
      Richard Rabins
      Co Chairman
      Alpha Software

Comment

Having spent the good part of a year, wrestling through the limited documentation regarding the new features which were introduced into AlphaV8, in the realm of SQL connections and the related record sets. I find it a stab in the back to see that the solution, which was addressed as a “failing” of those introduced features to be presented as a new feature, with the consequences being that the people who have already invested time, money and effort will yet again have to fork out to get what they were lead to believe from marketing materials posted prior to release as a workable scenario.
        It would in my opinion be “fair practice” to offer, optionally at a nominal charge an update to those customers whom have already purchased AlphaV8-Enterprise licenses (obviously for remote data functionality). The update could be based upon already existing licenses of which Alpha Software has records of. As, for the runtimes maybe this issue could be addressed as an add in to existing installation exes
        �There is nothing like a dream to create the future.�
        But then again:
        Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing and to steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research!

Comment

V8 Enterprise had passive link tables, and all of the marketing material that I saw mentioned this. Platinum will add active link tables, which is a significant chunk of new functionality, and not anything that I expected in V8 based on what Alpha told us. I absolutely don't see this as any type of failing on the part of V8 and I don't think I'm entitled to a special consideration on Platinum.

But of course I'd be more than happy to accept one!

Comment

I use IE7 and the videos played perfectly.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            Barry Kucher
            http://www.411tech.org

Comment

I just double checked the Alpha website. I think http://www.alphasoftware.com/AlphaFive/connectivity.asp is accurate and sets the expectation of what V8 offers. Was there something else that you saw that led you to feel that you've been stabbed in the back?

Comment

Monday, November 20, 2006
                Early Bird Pricing for Licenses, Runtimes and the Application Server
                Early Bird Specials are Limited to First 1,500 Customers.
                Alpha Five Version 8 Enterprise Edition - designed to work with SQL
                includes everything in the Professional Edition,
                offers the ability to work with SQL databases through ADO or the new Alpha DAO,
                the Alpha Five Enterprise Report Builder - previously this was separately priced at $199,
                the Alpha Five Database Explorer
                I don't know how you define ability to work with?

Definition of work (verb)
                forms: worked; worked; working
                to labor; to act; to operate; to activate; to process
                Passive is hardly working with (excuse the pun)
                �There is nothing like a dream to create the future.�
                But then again:
                Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing and to steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research!

Comment

I have to agree with Chris. I remember when I first read about V8. SQL Connectivity was, at it appears now, vague to say the least.

When I purchased V8, I went for the Enterprise Version, and have since purchased additional licenses for both the Runtimes and App Server.

During my first year of programming with V8, I was busy with apps that did NOT need the SQL connectivity so I didn't even realize that the connectivity was limited.

Once I needed that connectivity, I found out REAL quick that it was best used for reporting on SQL databases and that is what I have done.

With today's videos, I see at least three projects that I passed on, that would be very easy to perform with V9.

I am sure they will give us a price break for being previous users, and depending on what other features are in there, I might purchase immediately. With my prior experience with Alpha pricing, I am hoping I will be able to delay purchase until the pricing comes down to the current levels.

Less than a year ago I was offered the Enterprise 3 user runtime and the app server for the low price of $799. And that was without a copy of V8 Enterprise included. Now it's $349.

Pricing is NOT Alpha's forte, but delivering a product that allows me to get the job done is, and that is the bottom line. Luckily I have always been able to include the price of Alpha in the first project I do with a new version, and that is what I will do with V9.
                  Barry Kucher

Comment

In the coming few days you will see that Alpha Five v9 PLATINUM is about extensive Client Server SQL support AND a WHOLE lot more!!

Once the full feature set is fully revealed we firmly believe that anyone who is in the business of building desktop or web apps (against dbf or SQL data)
                    will be extremely satisfied with the value for money that it represents because of its sheer productivity compared to alternative desktop or web development tools
                    Richard Rabins
                    Co Chairman
                    Alpha Software

Comment

"...offers the ability to work with SQL databases through ADO ... the Alpha Five Enterprise Report Builder - previously this was separately priced at $199, the Alpha Five Database Explorer"

I don't know how you define ability to work with?
                      Well, aside from reporting and web apps, admittedly V8 required scripting to work fully with SQL databases, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible...

Comment

Originally posted by NoeticCC View Post
                        Well, aside from reporting and web apps, admittedly V8 required scripting to work fully with SQL databases, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible...

Actually, that's not entirely correct. Working against SQL databases in Web Applications did not require any scripting. The Grid builder and Dialog builder have always worked against SQL databases - no scripting required. Thousands of Alpha Five customers have built Web applications against SQL databases without knowing any Xbasic.

Comment

According to a radio interview with Richard Rabins: And in fact, if you talk to users now who have had experience with web applications, "performance" is unquestionably the single biggest issue. And that�s why a lot of your listeners may have heard of an emerging technology called, "AJAX," which in very simple terms relates to minimizing the amount of traffic that is going forth between your browser and the server, which would improve speed. You can build AJAX applications in Alpha. In the near future we will build very complete AJAX applications without requiring the user to program at all.

So it appears V9 will have AJAX compatibility. I really don't like this trickle down of info. So for the next 30 days I will continue to program something I might not have to program because it is built into the next version. If I can, until it ships, I will just try to maintain my current projects.

I would hate to spend time doing something that takes a lot of code, only to see it become moot. The best example of this was the transition from V7 to V8 is the security framework. How much time did people spend dealing with security with V7, only to see it done for you in V8.
                          Barry Kucher

Comment

Good Point Barry!

If you or anyone reading this thread are interested in getting a Beta copy of Alpha Five (v9) Platinum, please send me a request for the Beta of the product. My email is [email protected]

Please include a short paragraph about your experience with Alpha Five and/or other development tools for database applications.

Thanks
                            Richard Rabins
                            Co Chairman
                            Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
                              Good Point Barry!

If you or anyone reading this thread are interested in getting a Beta copy of Alpha Five (v9) Platinum, please send me a request for the Beta of the product. My email is [email protected]

Please include a short paragraph about your experience with Alpha Five and/or other development tools for database applications.

Thanks
                              Richard,

Thank you for a chance to see what will be available in V9. I am sure your offer will be a relief to the many Alpha programmers struggling with certain features in V8, that are handled easily by V9.
                              Barry Kucher

Comment

i just sent you the beta info Barry

Thanks
                                Richard Rabins
                                Co Chairman
                                Alpha Software

Comment

Working...
                                X