Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multiple Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Multiple Choice

Yes, you did spur me, Robin. And got me to rethink things.

After rereading this thread, however, I see that the parent table would need to accomodate for compilation CDs having many songs from many artists artists and the child table would have to destinguish the artist. Therefore either Robins approach might be more normalized than duplicating fields in both tables, or have artist only in Child table which is closer to what Robins approach is.
    Mike W

Comment

Hi Mike W,
      I've been messing with your form and thought the whole purpose of such a form would be for then playing the MP3 files (as opposed to just a Library list). So I am working on how to put whatever songs have been selected from the various CD's into a Play List which can be numbered and 'played' in that order. Which your report feature could show the result since we don't have the MP3's.

I have tried linking another instance of Songs to the set with an Alias, but am thinking copying the selected records to a temp table might make more sense for numbering and manipulating the Favorites Play List.

I put the selection for the songs in the double click event for the browse. The Select All button toggles selecting or clearing all the songs in the list - and adds or removes them to the Favorite list. I let the column titles sort the list so that the way they are copied is in the user's sorted order. Sorting the songs seems to work Ok with your cd_sort() filters. In the Favorites browse, the Play column is a button that numbers the list in the current displayed order. This seems where a different table would work better because you cannot resort this list even though the alias table is linked to the parent with a field I added to songs (Link = "X") and is filtered - it still shows the order of the 1st instance of songs that is linked to the header.
      Last edited by MoGrace; 07-01-2010, 05:04 PM.
      Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Instead of a temp table which basically sounds like it would only "house" one playlist at a time....I have used a memo field to save lists/filters which then allows it to become a crlf list which can be used wherever it is wanted.....so instead of a temp table create a playlist table with 3 fields--autoincrement, Playlist Name, Memo. Then unlimited amount of playlists can be saved easily.

:D Haven't heard from Scott lately....probably waiting until this little exercise is completed!! (guess I don't blame him!! lol )
        Mike

Comment

If selections of songs to be played is what is the goal, I have an entire application already completed that I developed for a rock and roll band to generate playlists. I used temporary tables for each play set, populating them from a master table. If a thumbs up on a particular playlist is decided, an archive table holds that playlist as a group for later retrieval.
          Last edited by Mike Wilson; 07-02-2010, 09:59 AM.
          Mike W

Comment

Well that takes all the fun out of it!
            Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
              :D Haven't heard from Scott lately....probably waiting until this little exercise is completed!! (guess I don't blame him!! lol )
              Sorry guys,
              My Internet connection has been down at home and has yet to be fixed..there thinking it will be Tuesday before its fixed cause of the holiday weekend.
              using a friends computer to check in, will be printing out this thread and looking at it over the weekend if I get the time..
              Plus this week has just been one thing after another for me, if anything was to break, dismantle or just not work, I think this was the week for it.

Hang in there "I'll be back" hehehe
              Have a great weekend also...

Comment

Scott,

Download the small test app I made for you and see if this is what you want?

Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by MoGrace View Post
                  Hi Scott,
                  I am still working on it but here is what my idea looks like. The 'Favs' column button will select or deselect all the songs in the list. The Song Artist column button will copy the CD Artist to the songlist. I have a 2 disc CD example too where many of the artists are different.

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
                  This sounds like a 1:M situation to me. I'd do it like the attached example.

Ok this is what im looking for in these two examples.
                  However I wasnt planning on typing in each and every song of every cd. Is there a way to have Alpha get the song info from the internet or will I have to type in the song info.

Couple questions/problems

I created a Song table for my favorites and then created a set.
                  Parent table-album
                  Child table-Songs / (alias- songs)
                  Parent Key- Catalog_number = Child Key Cat_num
                  Link type - one to many
                  R Intergrity - None
                  Included Record table from parent - always -even if no matching child....

I went to put a Browse layout on my form to show the songs. And I cant get
                  Alpha to show the song.dbf for the browse im only able to get the album info in the browse layout.

In your example Mike, and looking in the song table under the field S_Fav
                  whats "F" and "T" (true/false) if so why do some fields show F. I can understand the ones checked would show "T" for true.

Same thing show for you album favs.

Comment

Scott,
                    I went to put a Browse layout on my form to show the songs. And I cant get
                    Alpha to show the song.dbf for the browse im only able to get the album info in the browse layout.
                    Are you sure your form is for the set and not just the Album table?

In your example Mike, and looking in the song table under the field S_Fav
                    whats "F" and "T" (true/false) if so why do some fields show F. I can understand the ones checked would show "T" for true.
                    The starting value is null in the table which is equal to false. after a value is set, it is either T or F.
                    Mike W

Comment

Scott,
                      Are you sure your form is for the set and not just the Album table?
                      Must I rebuild the form from scatch? or is there a way to set the form for a particular db/set?
                      I think ive gone thru everything here and the only option I see to change what the form is based on is on the form properties / filter-order tab / table field / but this doesnt allow me to change what the form is based on.

Comment

go to control panel
                        right click on the form
                        select copy to
                        select new table
                        give form new name
                        save.

Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Ok bit more help here..

Ive got 3 tabs on my form (form is based on the set)
                          CD Info
                          Favs (fields from song table)
                          Associated Albums (AA) (fields from album table)

Lets say I have a artist - 'Def Leppard' with 2 Albums (cd's) associated with them.

Both the Favs and AA tabs both have a browse view on them.
                          If I go to Associated Albums then all the albums from the current artist shown on the CD Info tab are shown. (which would be correct).

Now lets say 1 Def Leppard album has some favorites associated with it but the other one does not.
                          If im on the album (record) that does not have a favorite associated with it and I go to the FAVS tab then it shows the FAVS from the other album.

My script run from the "ONTABCHANGE" is
                          Open Form - ENTRY
                          Records that match the value in a control on the current form
                          ...value in field ..artist_group_name
                          ...Matches value in control ...group_or_artist_name

So what do I do to retain the action of the Associated Albums tabs but fix the Favs tab?

Comment

Scott,
                            Sorry but it's a bit hard to follow. Is CD Info from the Album table? It would be helpful to see what you have got. Could you zip a copy of your app and post it here?
                            Mike W

Comment

Scott,
                              Sorry but it's a bit hard to follow. Is CD Info from the Album table? It would be helpful to see what you have got. Could you zip a copy of your app and post it here?
                              Sorry..
                              The form was based on the set of album and song dbs (albumsongs.set)
                              The fields on the CDInfo tab are from the album table (album.dbf)
                              The Browse view primary table is songs.dbf and fields on the Fav tab are from the song table (songs.dbf)
                              The Browse view primary table is album.dfb and fields on the Associated Albums tab are from the albums table (album.dbf)

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_S View Post
                                Sorry..
                                The form was based on the set of album and song dbs (albumsongs.set)
                                The fields on the CDInfo tab are from the album table (album.dbf)
                                The Browse view primary table is songs.dbf and fields on the Fav tab are from the song table (songs.dbf)
                                The Browse view primary table is album.dfb and fields on the Associated Albums tab are from the albums table (album.dbf)

HTH
                                Scott,
                                I believe we have some language problems going on and some problems with compleness of description happening. I'm not completely certain what your meaning with the term "primary table". In your set, the parent table I am going to assume is ALBUM table and the child table is SONGS. These are linked in 1:M through the catalog number field ( or equivalent) in both tables.

Your form has three tabs, one displaying record(s) from the parent table (album), the second displaying records from the child table (songs), and the third displaying records from the parent table (album). UNDERSTAND THIS!!!
                                The third tab will not show records different than the first tab since they are both viewing records from the same table under the same table open session unless you refilter the records. Then the first tab will show the records that the third tab will show. UNLESS you have a second instance of the parent table in your set and have the third tab browse viewing that. You wrote:

My script run from the "ONTABCHANGE" is
                                Open Form - ENTRY
                                Records that match the value in a control on the current form
                                ...value in field ..artist_group_name
                                ...Matches value in control ...group_or_artist_name
                                You don't mention what the ENTRY form is, what table/set it is based upon, whether this is the same as the tabbed form that you have been describing.....

I'm thinking it's time to post an example of your app so these missing pieces of info can be filled in by viewing it instead us trying to piece it together through several descriptions that are missing all the pieces needed to put it together.
                                Mike W

Comment

Working...
                                X