Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Application advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Application advise

Hello,

I live in Martinez CA. and over the last 9 years I developed and used a delivery routing application at my last job using a single-user version of Alpha Four V8. I managed and scheduled over 2,500 accounts with it. The company was recently bought out by a large national competitor and I was let go.The new company is now using it's own routing software. Over the years I was constantly tweaking and trying to improve the application and probably have hundreds of hours into what I believe is now a stable and saleable product. Before now, because the app is so customized, I never really considered it a marketable product. Without too much work though I think it could be useful to a few of my old competitors in the area. The applications main features are:

Stores:

Customer inventory and equipment data.

Dates, delivery quantities, sale amounts and the driver ID for each delivery.

Printable driver route schedules, (Main selling feature).

Delivery frequency recommendation reports.

Individual or group sales and usage reports.

Customer lists.

It has no accounting features. Here's the crux. I have no experience at pricing or selling something like this and would appreciate some advise. With a few modifications that would adapt and simplify it for my intended customers, I would like to just sell the application, provide training and minimal customer support (support after 15-30 days would be at an hourly rate) and be done with it. I know this isn't much to go on and I'm not asking for hard numbers but can some of you give me your best opinion/suggestion of the value of something like this? What is a reasonable hourly rate to charge for customer support? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Kerry Jannsen
    [email protected]

Re: Application advise

Kerry,

Since this has been on the messageboard for almost 20 minutes and no one has responded, I'll give it a try.

First and foremost, an application running under A4V8 (or any DOS-based program for that matter) will not be of any interest to a possible end-user. It will have to run under Alpha 5, the latest version being V8 (to be released pretty soon). Most end users like the 'look and feel' of Windows-based programs and DOS is simply a step backward. Functionality and ease of use are certainly important and are strong selling points, but it's hard to put a DOS program up against a Windows program.

Regarding pricing; you will get a bunch of responses with all different points of view. Development and support rates will probably range from a low of $50/hour to (maybe) $125/hour. Some developers offer X hours (or days) of free support with the sale of an application, and then go to a per hour basis, others might vary. Some developers might base their charge on the size of the client (the old 'Whatever the customer can bare' philosophy). You have to come up with a pricing structure that is somewhat in line with you area. You probably don't want to be too high nor too low in terms of rates.

Also, you probably should re-think your comment of provide training and minimal customer support (support after 15-30 days would be at an hourly rate) and be done with it. In today's marketplace, I feel that the initial sale should be to beginning of a continual relationship between the developer and the client.

My opinions, others will vary.

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Thanks for the response. Generally I understand and agree with what you say. But in this case I happen to know these competitiors well. They are small businesses and they currently have no routing software at all and likely are not interested in any of the more expensive and well known options currently available. The fact that it's DOS based likely wouldn't matter either as long as it worked and I believe their productivity would be enhanced significantly. I was thinking between $2,500-$4,000 as other more full featured and full support type products range in the tens of thousands. I would always be available for support and could even use something like PC Anywhere to provide support.

Kerry Jannsen

Comment

Hi Kerry, just to mention there is an Alpha user's group in your area that meets in Moraga. It might work to show the application to some peers for review. I am in Castro Valley.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Steve. I will consider doing that. Do you have a schedule? In the meantime I still would appreciate more input/opinions regarding pricing.

Kerry

Comment

No schedule until later in the Spring; I'll add you to the mailing list.

On pricing, some advice I got years ago:

- pick a couple 'buyers', one in the business, one not in the business.
            - explain the product, potential time savings, etc.
            - ask each:

1) what price would be so high that you could not envision buying it
            2) what price would be so low that you would suspect it to be poor quality
            3) what's the highest you'd pay for it
            4) what's the lowest you'd expect the seller to sell it for
            5) what additional features/benefits would you need in order for you to double (or some factor) each of these values.

Also, give the product to someone not in the business and ask them to evaluate it, and tell you what the product is supposed to do. You can give them an introduction, but don't "train" them. This tests the intuitiveness of the product and acknowledges that the buyer will probably pass the responsibility of running the software to a secretary, etc.

And on the DOS equation. I agree with the above, someone somewhere in the buying process will say "But its in DOS", and not move forward. Even small, "unsophisticated" companies are high-tech these days. They have Windows XP and Office 2007 installed. And if they are not so up to snuff, their kids are and will rib them for purchasing a product in DOS. You can still sell a few, but you can't build a market around it.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks again Steve. That's good advise and I will try it. Please understand I am in no way attempting to market this to a broader range of potential buyers. The reason I'm even thinking about selling it is because the businesses I speak of had expressed interest in the past but I was too busy and not interested in helping the competition. Believe it or not these guys are old school, not high tech and this DOS app would be a big step forward for them. I have no further use for it myself and if I can make a little money off of it while I consider rebuilding it using Alpha 5, thats what I'd like to do.

Kerry

Comment

Working...
              X