Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Reports/Letters/and etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reports/Letters/and etc

I strongly suggest Reports/Letters and so forth not be embedded.

It is hard to send 1 report to 1 customer and another to another and then update several customers without someone getting shorted. Sending all reports/Letters is out of the question as there would be over 500 of these Reports/Letters to contend with.

Am I alone in My needs??

Dave Mason
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

RE: Reports/Letters/and etc

You'll get more discussion of this if you post to the appropriate forum.

As for sending to a subset of customers, why can't you mark the customer(s) and send to marked records?

Bill
    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

I believe this is the correct forum for suggetions, however it was posted 2 times.

You also misunderstood the gist of the reasons

Thanks.
      Dave
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

"You also misunderstood the gist of the reasons "

Ok, then explain...or don't.
        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Sorry, Didn't mean to be short. I am fighting to be able to use alpha instead of another language for over 2000 car dealers.

I sell Reports ( most only contain 1 record ) to them after I sell the program. I get between 25 and 100 each. they all have different needs in reports to print. State title forms that are filled in for instance ( there are 50 of those ) do not need to be on each Dealers Program, only the one for that state. I some times have 2 versions printing in one state of that one.

I wild guessed i had over 500 reports to sell, actually I have over 4000 reports currently in Crystal reports. Can you imagine sending every dealer over 5000 reports??

I would be happy to start rewriting in alpha if it were possible to economically send these reports to the dealers as needed.

I'll keep on trying to get alpha to make it so it can handle those kinds of jobs.

Thanks Dave
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Oh, Each Dealer gets about:

need to be in crystal or seperate from imbedded

16 state reports
            15 generic reports ( most of these i could do in alpha )
            6 Bank contracts
            8 Odd delivery reports
            2 warranty reports
            2 Gap reports
            2 Buyers Guides

in alpha: ( these are common to all dealers )

12 inventory reports
            18 standard money type reports ( some very complex)
            10 approximate other types of reports
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

If I take your point, with so many reports you do not want to send them all to everyone but rather send selectively based on need (hence not embedded in the application) with the send process preferably able to be controlled dynamically.

One thing that occurs to me is that you might explore the implications of embedding a file or layout in a report.

I know this can be done. I once embedded a lengthy word processing file in the header of a report. This meant that I could fill the body of the report with dynamically generated data and someone else could attend to the word processing file which contained unstructured introductory text.

Files can be renamed dynamically from within A5.

I don't know your needs in detail but embedding one layout in another has saved me several times.

Bill
              Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

If the reports are already setup in crystal or Word or excel, why not use DDE?

We use dde to "poke" client information onto a monthly newsletter, then tell Word to print it. I do not want to get into the business of Word Processing, so we have a Word Template set up with bookmarks. using the correct client, we "poke" name and address information out to the Word Document and then tell Wod to do the printing. It works Great! Alpha is a wonderful package for managing DATA. We can do some pretty intricate reports, but standardized, customized letters or forms are more easily created in a Word Processor and then used by Alpha.

If you would like, e-mail me, and I will send you an example.

Tom

Comment

Tom, Would you please send me an example also? Thanks in advance.
                  Wallace

Comment

Thanks for your help.

A Law 553 simple interest contrsct is about 33" long, and takes a good programmer about 8-9 hours to make and test. It prints only on a dot matrix printer because of the 3 copies. The smallest imperfection or missed line makes it unusable. The contracts only cost abou .60, but the vehicle contract may be worht many thousands. I have not been able to get word to be exact enough to print these on a word processor so far. Word wishes to reformat the form for me. I have tried many others too.

Even most printers have to be special setup to do more than 14"

I have the form printing just fine from crystal using data from crystal, but cant seem to get alpha to send the needed commands to crystal.

To send this report/form to 200 customers (with no errors) is a challenge in Alpha. It means I would have to have all the support files for each customer saved on my hard drive and program each report in fo9r each customer as they asked for it. Sell/make 25 - 30 reports a day and see hard that is.

Ira Perlow is coming out with an updater soon. that could be a possibility for my situation. I would like to get off crystal.

Dave
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Tom, Would you please send me an example also? Thanks in advance
                      Barry

Comment

Working...
                      X