Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

There's Nothing in your current offering I can use or need or can afford!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: There's Nothing in your current offering I can use or need or can afford!

Originally posted by Pat Bremkamp View Post
    I agree. At one time, V8 was the latest thing and I have built apps that still run fine in V8. If you are not a programmer, then enjoy your V8 product and save that $99!
    Or preferably , sell a "crippled" current version (under $179) that can only work with local .dbf files and their inherent limitations. (AND only works within the confines of the unit where it is installed ~ using the built in web server for example.)

This method provides a nice entry point, sales pushing a single version, a "we have something for everyone approach", yet still provides an easy migration path to full scale capabilities as the user "grows into the software." It also keeps an a5 customer, an a5 customer!

~When users want more, they're going to spend the $$$ to get it. ("but you have to have a user in the first place to get there from here")
    Last edited by SNusa; 01-20-2012, 04:55 PM.
    Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

I really enjoyed reading this post thanks. I don't know the answer either - but I would think there are some VERY good suggestions here.
      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
      Albert Einstein, (attributed)
      US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Alpha now offer a stripped down version which allows 3 or 5 users to access a WAS app built with V11. There is no Desktop functionality in this offering, and the split was predictable over a year ago.
        I looked hard at the Subscription route, but decided that there was too much in it that I had no real need to purchase. The price for the package seemed reasonable, until you realise that the next version of Alpha will reqire a new subscription.
        Given the frequency of new Alpha versions which are necessitated by the advances in technology I suppose, I viewed my subscription to not be as valuable to me as it might be to a new user.

I'm generally in agreement with Steve G that there is a place for a vanilla developers version of Alpha at around $150 (�100) without all of the videos and training stuff. I'll wait and see if a V11 offer comes around, as this is the only version missing from my "Alpha Set". It's an outstanding piece of software however I really only need the Desktop to use in anger at present.

If V8 is a 16 bit application, and I haven't tried it myself yet, then without Virtual PC running under Win7 Pro, there will be problems. Perhaps I'll install V6 and see what happens and report back.
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
          .....I looked hard at the Subscription route, but decided that there was too much in it that I had no real need to purchase. The price for the package seemed reasonable, until you realise that the next version of Alpha will reqire a new subscription. Given the frequency of new Alpha versions which are necessitated by the advances in technology I suppose, I viewed my subscription to not be as valuable to me as it might be to a new user.....
          Your statement certainly has ramifications that Alpha had certainly be taking into consideration. Had it not been for all the training materials (which I needed) to finally entice/provide me with a "jump start" (and a "kick in the a##")..... I never would have purchased the subscription in the first place. (For me, the initial training videos literally "were most of the perceived subscription value.") ~ And I'm ecstatic about the fact that I'm finally past that point now! HOWEVER.....

Unless there is a substantially beneficial (good deal) on subscription renewals, I see little reason for maintaining a subscription for my present needs. (Especially since the feature packs are to be included.) Obviously, if you're in a position to be billing out thousands of $$ a year with a5, this is a "non-issue." However, for many of us, it will ultimately translate into a loss of perpetual (subscription based) cash flows for Alpha.

I sincerely hope they do offer a reasonably priced renewal that entices me to do otherwise, but I have my doubts..... (If not, I'll just resolve to purchasing new versions "after the deal gets really sweet", as it always does.) ~ And leave the bug reports/frustrations for others to deal with! (I have uncovered so many authenticated bugs/issues over the years I figure I should receiving a complimentary subscription ~ Seriously!!!!)

Actually, that was one of my "bright ideas" for Alpha which I will be suggesting. If they kept track of authentic bug reports along with the initial reporters.... They could/should acknowledge and reward "finders" for all the time spent on documenting and reporting these bugs. In the end, it would ultimately enable Alpha to produce a better / cleaner product, and save other users much frustration.....

Case in point: I just uncovered what I consider to be a "whopper of a bug" in the embedded browse. It's been around for several years, and caused calculated fields to fail when placed in a form. (Calculated fields defined using record field values exclusive to the browse itself.) ~ These browse calculated fields worked fine in the browse tab, but failed when placed in the form. (The expression builder was building building valid expressions that failed once browse was put to use in a form.) I had reported it last year, but never received a response. I presume Alpha couldn't reproduce it. This time around, I spent a couple of hours modifying (and documenting) my example to walk them through it. This is just one example.....

Email from Cian @ Alpha dated Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM:
          I was able to reproduce the bug you reported.
          The child browse calculated fields existed, but did not evaluate correctly in the context of the set because they used short names. Logic has been added to fixup the browse fields on load so that they use the child alias table .
          This will be available in the next V11 patch.
          "I see very little benefit in perpetually paying for a subscription when it frequently results in added frustrations from "being the first" to discover / confirm / document / report & "find a temporary workaround" for new problems....." (Doing so consumes too much time, and there is little incentive. In fact, I'm quite sure this is the reason nobody else reported it. Most would have either found a "hidden workaround", or not bothered to report it in the first place.) ~ "ALPHA, YOU'RE A GOOD COMPANY (IMHO), BUT HEY...... AT LEAST THROW ME A BONE, OR SOMETHING FOR TAKING THE TIME IN DOING THIS FOR YOU!!!!!!"
          Last edited by SNusa; 01-29-2012, 01:49 PM.
          It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
          RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Is your therapist away at the moment?
            I take exception at the multicolour text and bold (like you are shouting).
            You have made valid points, but they are starting to sound like a "rant"
            Try working with IBM if you want to experience pain.

Comment

Ted,
              If V8 is a 16 bit application
              Believe you meant to say if v8 is a 32 bit application....which it is. Win7 (most times) is a 64 bit software and is part of the reason for issues.
              Mike

Comment

Is your therapist away at the moment?
                I take exception at the multicolour text and bold (like you are shouting).
                You have made valid points, but they are starting to sound like a "rant"
                Try working with IBM if you want to experience pain.
                Nope... Not shouting. (Assuming you were referring to my posts.) ~ But it catches attention. It caught yours! (Not that it probably matters though.)

FYI: Much thought goes into my posts here. (And I'm willing to believe that most users would tend to agree with my position on a majority of my "contributions!") Besides, rants are simply for venting. (And I wouldn't wast my time.) I may be highly opinionated, but in the end I'm merely being "brutally honest", as I have nothing to lose.....

As far as the "multi-color" and "bold" text - Isn't that what the advanced editing features are there for in the first place? (to get noticed?) I'm not "trying to be harsh here." ~ As I mentioned above (ALL CAPS, BOLD & IN RED) I think Alpha Software is a good company.

PS: "If you're content in paying a company to debug their software, by all means continue!" ~ Since the late 80's, I did it for many years for companies like Insilco/Sage (Peachtree/Dac-Easy), MIC Systems, and several others.) No more, not for me. I just want to use things that work!
                Last edited by SNusa; 01-30-2012, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                  Ted,
                  Believe you meant to say if v8 is a 32 bit application....which it is. Win7 (most times) is a 64 bit software and is part of the reason for issues.
                  No Mike, I meant 16 bit. 32 bit apps will work on Win 7.
                  I haven't tried loading V8 as I cannot find my disks - dog ate 'em - and as V9 and 10 are also 32 bit apps, V8 should work OK.
                  So back to the originators question.
                  Perhaps they should do a search of the Forum regarding installation failures? There is a ton of information about the subject in the V9 and V10 pages.

Steve, have you got it fixed yet?

Comment

Robert, I think you meant "lose".

Comment

Robert, I think you meant "lose".
                      Yep, apparently I do need to consult with my "therapist."

Comment

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
                        Yep, apparently I do need to consult with my "therapist."
                        That's alright. We all need to consult our therapist every now and then. Bold colors work for me. So do honest statements.
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I see a few options here.
                          1. Alphasoftware provides a 30 day trial version at no cost.
                          2. Knowing that Alphasoftware stops supporting (updates and patches) a version as soon as the newest
                          version comes out, you might be able to get one of the current developers that have multiple licenses
                          to sell you an old license.
                          3. As you state that you are not a programmer, and have no real desire to develop any applications, see
                          if someone would be willing to update your application to a current version using runtime for a nominal
                          fee.
                          Gregg
                          https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Your horse has come in: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...g-desktop-apps

Direct link here: http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe5216787662017a7d12&m=fef51076706102&ls=fdd815717560007f7314737465&l=fe5c15767c6004757610&s=fe2c15747167017f721479&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe2d17727264007f711078

We spoke up, and Alpha listened.... New Desktop Version - Only $139 through Feb.6
                            Last edited by SNusa; 02-05-2012, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Alpha, Thanks for offering this. I bought it! It's exactly what I needed, Thanks again!
                              Steve Garman

Comment

Working...
                              X