Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

The mobile app gap. Just another year 2000 bug problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mobile app gap. Just another year 2000 bug problem?

We have all been reading Alpha's blog post about "The mobile app gap". That is, you should have. It is always good to keep up with things like how your software provider is thinking about things. Alpha seems to think that there is a "mobile app gap" and from that reasoning follows the understanding that 'the gap needs to be filled'. The question of course is whether "the gap" really exists and if yes, to which extend.
    Is this yet again another "Y2K"-type bug? Something everybody raves about and panics about. Something that took millions of dollars of investments but in the end turned out to be just a very minor problem?

Mobile solutions are needed if they fulfill a need and can render a sound return on investment. Furthermore, the climate of investment needs to be up to the challenge. Looking at the crisis in many western countries, that to begin with does not seem to be the case. According to UNCTAD reports (UNCTAD World Investment Report 2012), UNCTAD estimates that the global FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) will increase only moderately in 2012 and warns for the fragility of the World Economy with growth still tempered by the debt crisis and further financial market volatility which will have an impact on the flows. This even matters more for the developed countries who's growth rate is even smaller then the developing and transition economies show. So, the financial climate for investments is most certainly not bright, and in such a situation companies tend to make conservative priority decisions on investment needs. Is it really to be expected that companies will engage the supposed "mobile gap" with large investments and great elan? Or is it rather to be expected that most will sit on their current systems and look at what competition will do first?

Mobile solutions have their strengths and weaknesses like any other IT solution. There will doubtlessly be an added value for some types of functionality, aimed at specific types of users. The examples of those market niches have been given more then once and I think those examples are all valid. The big question is, whether that "added value" is large enough in terms of market size to speak of a "gap". At this moment, I can't see that. Sure, there is a market, and there will be a revenue for some who engage into this market with success. But if we are supposed to believe that this market share will be huge or even significant so there will be room for all of us to successfully make a living it it I can't follow that reasoning. Nothing in the market points towards that idea. Of course, suppliers that are directly connected with this market will do their very best to promote their products and make investment in their products as interesting as possible. That is to be expected. Often making use of individuals or organizations who "predict" certain economic developments. Only very very few of them however predicted the financial mortgage crisis to grow to an almost worldwide scale, affecting almost every large and small economy in the world. If they were not even able to predict the negative outcome of such a large scale mechanism then what tells that about their ability to predict anything at all? Predicting market growth and economy gaps is as good a science as predicting the outcome of a horse race! You can be very busy with it, state all kinds of complex varieties on strategies and outcomes, in the end the horse has to prove it. Not the scientist who predicts.

Is there really "a gap" ? Some would say so pointing towards the large number of mobile devices that have been sold, and that are expected to be sold in the near future. But, let's be honest, does that tell us anything about how those devices will be used? No, it doesn't. Those figures mainly are about mobile devices sold to consumers. How the masses use a mobile device is well known by the most of us. That tells you nothing about how much businesses are investing in the purchase of mobile devices, neither about what they intend to do with them. Some say, businesses will start using mobile devices because many employees demand it and because many employees already have them so it does not need any investment AT ALL. Then tell me why many corporations have been closing down their networks for any other computer then the identified own machines in the last decades? Network administrators are rejecting more and more any computer on their networks that is not "their own". Including laptops from employees. The reason for that being clearly the many security risks they provide, being anything from viruses to information theft risks or loss of productivity because of large private downloads over the companies network and internet structures.
    If you have not that much to do this morning, grab a cup of coffee and walk in to the office of your network administrator and ask him what he thinks about letting a few hundred privately owned mobile devices in on his network. Be sure not to stand close to him though, and whatever you do, don't ask him while he is drinking coffee because he will most certainly spit it out on your new business suit! That people would be allowed to use their mobile devices on a large scale in business networks is a "happy fixed idea" that does not exist in the real world. For the majority of corporations only business owned and controlled mobile devices will be allowed on the network and even then with restricted security settings. And there is a whole war to be fought with system administrators and information security officers before even that happens.
    And let's be a bit realistic here: which company owner or corporation president would like their employees walking around with a device that will pull them out of business activities into private affairs in a blink of an eye? Nobody would.

So it is my best guess (but as said: who knows??) that mobile devices will be accepted in business networks to some extend, but mostly company owned, and not privately hold devices. Which means the staggering amount of mobile devices sold is not telling you anything about the market perspective of mobile applications. Just like the amount of home computer sets, WII or Game Boy game sets sold does not.

My conclusion is, that the best guess is that there WILL be a market for mobile applications, but that this market will be very restricted due to the function of the employee using it and the restrictions of the mobile device in itself. It will not make the desktop or the web application go away. It will NOT be "a game changer", but realistically just a niche market that adds to the existing basket of possibilities. This new market also seems to ring the bell with us on the worst possible moment: when companies are running short of money and the likeliness of them doing big time investments is extremely small.

Yes, I think the Mobile Device Business Programming market is sort of a "Y2K-Hype". As I see it, the expectations around it are blown out of proportions and not realistic. But I can't predict anything either with much chance of being right, so don't take my word on it for being the truth. Nevertheless, I too will keep up with this new innovation and try to see if and, if yes, how it can be of service to my own applications, and how it may serve my own customers.

Since this is a forum, it is a nice subject to discuss in the light of the newest Alpha Software blog post.

Do YOU think the mobile programming market for you as an Alpha Five developer will be huge and a game changer for your income?
    Will YOU step in to it and acquire software and knowledge in this new possibility? Will YOU invest in it?

Re: The mobile app gap. Just another year 2000 bug problem?

Yes & Yes & Yes
    Ger Kurvers
    Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
    Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Comment

No & No & No
      SwissCharles
      Between the Alps and a comfy place

Comment

Originally posted by cptutrecht View Post
        Yes & Yes & Yes
        Ditto
        Bill Griffin
        Parkell, Inc

Comment

Marcel,

You have too much time on your hands to be posting such a dialog here.

I always thought the object of this forum, was to help each other to fix problems and share solutions, that we can all from. How does your text do any of that?
          Regards
          Keith Hubert
          Alpha Guild Member
          London.
          KHDB Management Systems
          Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

First off, I guess it's not yours but my time to spend now, isn't it? Wouldn't you be better off thinking about how to spend your own time rather then commenting on how others do it? Thank you.

Secondly, to answer your question just for the sheer fun of it, this is all about awareness. The "text" as you call it obviously is meant to stimulate discussion. You can get more knowledge about how others look at things when you discuss them. Others may have insights that can enlighten or educate. Whilst I already don't agree with your limited idea of what this forum should be for, I can point you towards numerous other threads on this forum that also were not about "fixing problems and sharing solutions" but you nevertheless happily participated in.

Finally, you are not under any obligation to post in any thread here on this forum. You know that. If you don't like it, just don't post. Is not a difficult thing to grasp Keith....

Comment

I agree with Marcel on almost all of his rhetoric.

We have 4 4g phones here at home all capable of using web apps. I looked at our bill the other day to check minutes used(even though they are not chargeable). We had a total of 364 minutes from the cells to ground lines, 1200 texts, 1,155,681 of data(being web and seems too large). After looking at what they and I were doing, it became evident the 2 girls(21,19) are listening to streaming music and face book, Alsie is on facebook, youtube a lot as well as texts. None of us are using them for entering any kind of data, rarely read any web content(or other), rarely look anything up, but we do use the built in navigagtion about once a month.

Having polled many of my friends and clients(both in and out of business), their phones are used generally the same way. I have a friend that owns a software company in Orlando, FL that uses his 9 phones(7 are with employees) not much different than anyone else.

There are a lot of mobile devices being sold, but many of those are replacements for whatever reason. Where can you buy a phone to replace your old "just a cell phone" without having all these new abilities of text, web, pictures, etc.

To me, there is way too much hype over mobile solutions. That does not mean it is not coming though.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Keith,

I think the object of this forum is what you said and to allow all of us to give and take information that may affect any or all of our future.

If I found out that all the satellites would fail tonight at 10:31PM with out fail and a fall out of that would be no more computing, phones and more, would you want to know? If not, I will exclude you from such a message and just tell the rest of the forum.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I'm not going to argue one way or another, and I'm not going to try to argue that Alpha isn't focusing on mobile apps to the detriment of everything else. But I want to point out that the app gap referenced is not the gap between what mobile apps exist and what mobile apps Alpha thinks should exist. It's the gap between what (many) businesses want and what most cannot afford.

Coming from a social services background, there's no question that our company wouldn't have been able to afford as robust a database application had Alpha not provided me a way to develop it in-house. And now our highly mobile case managers can even access key information on their mobile devices (and it's built in v11, btw, not the marketed Alpha Anywhere), which took me a few weeks to build onto our web app, and which our staff is thrilled about.

Coming from the background of someone who's only had a smartphone for a few months, I'm also highly aware that I probably don't need to install the native Dominos Pizza app on my phone, but my experience ordering pizza last week was far easier because their website detected and redirected me to a mobile-friendly display.

Not everyone needs a mobile app just like not everyone needs a web app. But the point is that some business do need a mobile app and can't afford the price tag on the typical CSS/HTML5. That's the "app gap" that Alpha suggests it could be useful in, just as it was key to my company now having a rich database application.

Comment

Originally posted by christappan View Post
                    Coming from the background of someone who's only had a smartphone for a few months, I'm also highly aware that I probably don't need to install the native Dominos Pizza app on my phone, but my experience ordering pizza last week was far easier because their website detected and redirected me to a mobile-friendly display.
                    I have noticed I do not want to install any native applications if a web site offers that possibility.
                    I think the security is the main reason and also I am afraid I will be a victim of commercial advertisements.

I also avoid "mobile friendly web pages" because I have a feeling that they are second hand pages and they do not have same content as the usual original webpage and that they are not updated so often.

Also there is no problem at all to use the full original web page with todays smartphones.

Comment

@kkfin

I guess I am thinking just like you on using apps on smartphones: I only use what I need when on the road, nothing more.
                      I too avoid mobile friendly web pages because of the same reason you stated.
                      However, mobile applications are not only targeted towards smartphones but maybe even more towards ipads and other tablets.
                      And they are positioned somewhere between smartphone and notebook so have a different usability specification.

Comment

Agreed Chris,
                        For some, it is a great thing. The question comes of how many are needed and will be used. A pizza delivery business could definitely use this, but where does it stop? In other words, what is the number of business types that a similar app be a plus for. A social media app that is made for people to read/view does not require alpha since it can be done with most any off the shelf web tool like serif webplus(a lot faster and cheaper. In interactive could use something like alpha if data is stored in a db. How do you differentiate? I am talking from viability as a developer for future costs, both in loss of other improvements to alpha versus the web app being developed.

We all will have to wait and see.

You may have opened some eyes to some as for future business with alpha for them. It did for me.

I only had a smart phone for 13 months myself.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Marcel,
                          The "text" as you call it obviously is meant to stimulate discussion.
                          I don't know about "obviously". "stimulate discussion", well you have certainly done that.
                          Regards
                          Keith Hubert
                          Alpha Guild Member
                          London.
                          KHDB Management Systems
                          Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

I also avoid "mobile friendly web pages" because I have a feeling that they are second hand pages and they do not have same content as the usual original webpage and that they are not updated so often.
                            That's an interesting perspective, and probably warranted for most small businesses at this point in time. I think it similar to 10 years ago when lots of businesses figured out they wanted a website, then a few years ago when they decided out they wanted a Facebook page and Twitter feed and only long after they launched each did they realize they weren't keeping them updated.

I have tended to use the mobile versions of websites because I agree the content may be lacking, but (assuming it's up to date, which per your comments I'm re-thinking) if I'm looking at a site on a smartphone I probably only want the basic options, so a mobile-friendly display usually offers those basic options without have to scroll around the regular pages and zoom in and out to read and/or click buttons and links, etc.

If I was applying for a job at Dominos I wouldn't be doing it on my smartphone. But for the basics--ordering pizza--it's a far-more user-friendly experience.

Comment

Originally posted by mronck View Post
                              Is this yet again another "Y2K"-type bug? Something everybody raves about and panics about. Something that took millions of dollars of investments but in the end turned out to be just a very minor problem?
                              Marcel

Y2K was minor because it was taken care of by most people/companies.

On Jan 4, 1999 I arrived at a site (unnamed Fortune 100 company) I contracting at as part of the Y2K team replacing the home grown software with SAP.

I was working on an HP system and another team was running an IBM 3090.

I watched as puzzlement changed to panic on the IBM side as they realized that non operational programs were the result of the system deleting all of the files. A year end clean up routine that advanced the date one year (2000 then became 1900) and then adjusted it again, caused the problem.

By the end of the week they had it all restored and operational again...

So this was a Y2K actual problem that occurred a year prior to the date of expected problems..

Since Y2K was handled well and the problems fixed before they struck it looks like it was overblown. I suggest that it was a disaster waiting to happen but was avoided by planning and prevention.

Kinda like taking that last look into the street before you step in the path of the bus. Simple step - quite a different result.

I also think this had a lot to do with the tech boom and bust as spending was abnormally concentrated for 2 or 3 years.
                              Al Buchholz
                              Bookwood Systems, LTD
                              Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                              Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                              "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                              Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Working...
                              X