Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

New User problems with default and display values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New User problems with default and display values

My first forum post and I am having a problem with default and display values.

1. I have a character field in a list control. I found a default format for social security numbers in the documentation "000-00=0000" but I can't seem to find how to set a display format so that the entire ss number will not show. I would prefer it to show as "xxx-xx-0000" when displayed in a list.
    2. I see I can add a default value for a field in a new record, for example DateCreated. But I have an edit button, and would like to add the date in "MM-dd-yyyy" format to a hidden field. Is this a java script action I need to add to the button, and if so, how?
    3. I am getting a lot of "Invalid Server Response. Please try again." errors as I use this forum. Is that just me?

I was able to resolve question 2 and I'm no longer getting the Server error message when logging on to the forum, so all I need is an answer to question 1.

I have a default format for ss # of "(000)-00-0000", but want to display the last 4 digits only whenever data is displayed in a list.
    The existing SSN column (character, var 25) stores digits only (no dashes or parentheses).

Comment

Originally posted by Oeste View Post
      I am getting a lot of "Invalid Server Response. Please try again." errors as I use this forum. Is that just me?
      It's not just you. I get this all the time. Made a forum post about it and was told nobody else has reported a problem. Maybe you and me are it.

Mike Brown - Contact Me
      Programmatic Technologies, LLC
      Programmatic-Technologies.com
      Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

I don't understand why you'd create a column length of 25 for a value we know always contains 9 digits without punctuation, but that's another thing.
        Why not simply select right(ssn,4) when setting up the list to display.
        Option B would be to select right(ssn,4) as 'displayssn' .
        Gregg
        https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

I was also having users report invalid response as well, but mainly with the Chrome browser, I could not duplicate it in firefox. It was also only occurring when using Jim Calendar component - when I was able to duplicate it, the error in the console was a pointer to a chrome bug and it was related to the javascript version. All I can think is chrome was using a newer version of the js library that had an issue of some sort - not really an alhpa software issue.

On the issue of the only showing a partial value, you might do well to store ONLY the partial value with the record you are looking up and store the entire thing elsewhere or not at all. Seems a bit risky to even store it, I am assuming you are encrypting it as well. Even a database without a honeypot gets attacked, might be more of a target with something to gain. I know your probably aware, posting for those who might be new to security issues like that, etc.
          Even if you are only showing a partial of the full value, the call itself will pull down the entire number then cloak it so it might be exposed when using dev tools to look at the raw data returned...I think even if it's encrypted to and from the DB what gets returned is probably the raw data which again would be exposed. You could create a view within your DB to trim it and very quickly be able to pull read only data without exposing the whole thing.
          NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

I'm providing this as a simple example. If you want to experiment with the code, you can find it >HERE<
            This code is created using mySQL but should work with sql Express.
            I believe this code as designed will not pull down the entire value.

This code creates the table, adds a before insert trigger, adds 1 row of sample data, and finally executes
            a query to display the data from the table.

Code:
            create table samplenames(
            seq int not null auto_increment,
            given varchar(15) default null,
            middle varchar(15) default null,
            surname varchar(25) default null,
            ssn varchar(9) not null,
            displayssn char(4),
            primary key (seq)
            );

DELIMITER $$

CREATE TRIGGER beforeInsert_samplenames
                BEFORE INSERT
                ON samplenames FOR EACH ROW
            BEGIN
                set new.displayssn = right(new.ssn,4);
            END$$    

DELIMITER ;

insert into samplenames (given,surname,ssn) values ('Joseph','Biden','356324336');

select given, surname, ssn, displayssn
            from samplenames;
            Gregg

Comment

Originally posted by madtowng View Post
              I don't understand why you'd create a column length of 25 for a value we know always contains 9 digits without punctuation, but that's another thing.
              Why not simply select right(ssn,4) when setting up the list to display.
              Option B would be to select right(ssn,4) as 'displayssn' .
              Hi madtowng!,
              I'm providing a new user interface to a legacy application created 12 years ago by a developer who has since left the company. Most of the columns are either 25 or 55 characters in length, even fields that should be logical or bit. Once the UX is done they'll let me tinker with the table structure (even though it would, IMO, be a lot simpler and less expensive to do this now). I'll try your suggestion of right ssn,4 to set up my list display. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by mikeallenbrown View Post

It's not just you. I get this all the time. Made a forum post about it and was told nobody else has reported a problem. Maybe you and me are it.
                I attended Wednesday's weekly webinar and the presenter mentioned they were now trying to get more folks to use the forum to answer questions rather than sending them to Alpha guides. I was concerned when I saw the error messages as it was my first time post on the forum, but it seems to be pretty stable now.

Comment

Seems like the previous guy was determined to never get a "data too large" error.
                  I'm confident it'll work if (s)he didn't let garbage data in.
                  Gregg

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesParker View Post
                    On the issue of the only showing a partial value, you might do well to store ONLY the partial value with the record you are looking up and store the entire thing elsewhere or not at all. Seems a bit risky to even store it, I am assuming you are encrypting it as well. Even a database without a honeypot gets attacked, might be more of a target with something to gain. I know your probably aware, posting for those who might be new to security issues like that, etc.
                    Even if you are only showing a partial of the full value, the call itself will pull down the entire number then cloak it so it might be exposed when using dev tools to look at the raw data returned...I think even if it's encrypted to and from the DB what gets returned is probably the raw data which again would be exposed. You could create a view within your DB to trim it and very quickly be able to pull read only data without exposing the whole thing.
                    Thanks CP, the db is encrypted and I'm using Chrome as well. I'll take a look at Chrome's debugger to make sure the SSN is not viewable unless it's through the UX.

Comment

Originally posted by madtowng View Post

This code creates the table, adds a before insert trigger, adds 1 row of sample data, and finally executes
                      a query to display the data from the table.
                      Awesome!

I'm back in the office Thursday so I'll give it a try .

Comment

Working...
                      X