Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Create Multiple Records at once in disconnected mode

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

Default Create Multiple Records at once in disconnected mode

Hello,

I am trying to find a way that I can create multiple records at once using a json string as a default list of fields. Example:

I have a table called Samples
    I have a sub table called sample details
    In the sample details table I have three fields (sampleid, column, value)
    When I add a new sample it then needs to iterate through the json file to find all the fields required for that table
    It then adds a new record in the sample detail table for each json entry
    So, sample id would be duplicated several times, and 'column' would be the name of the field to be edited
    'value' would end up being edited in the user interface
    'column' would not be edited since it's basically the field name

Sample ID: 1

Sample ID Column Value
    1 Name Joe Schmo
    1 DateStamp 12/29/2016
    1 Location Whatever should be typed here

Can a repeating section work for this? FormView? Anything? During devcon 2016 an example was shown of how to do this, but I haven't found anything online.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: Create Multiple Records at once in disconnected mode

Web? Mobile? (real Mobile... not a web app running on a device browser).

Do you want to sync back to a database?

So... instead of "normal" columns of data, you want to "pivot" (in a sense) and create a 1 row for each column.

It's really just master/detail where the detail is a 2 part key (SampleId and Column). This could be done with FormView, Lists, or Repeating Sections... it really depends (a bit) on what your target device is... mobile... pc browser... etc.

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

Hi David,

The issue is in the creation of a new record which needs to have all the fields required by the form (your understanding of a pivot is essentially correct). I know we can use form view, lists and repeating sections, however I have a need to add multiple records at once based upon a json file (or some other method) which lists all the fields required for the form. It needs to create a new record in disconnected mode which means there isn't an ability to check a database table for the fields required (which is why I think json would work fine).

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Are the "required fields" static (at the time of app build)? Once defined in your Sample Details table... they are what you'll need to provide data for... is that right? If so, then rendering a UX with a control based on that Detail table, will carry the fields required... connection or not.

How you want to run disconnected is also a matter of choice. You can utilize device file storage or a sqlite database.

Are you going to be collecting data offline then syncing later? Web app? Mobile app?

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

Hi David,

The fields are static at the time of deployment....however, my goal is to make the json file (or other storage of the structure) something that can update when a full synchronization has taken place. The app has to run in disconnected mode and then sync as normal. It will be used as a web and mobile app and needs to run the same on both (as it does with my other disconnected applications). The idea, is to have a javascript event (such as tapping on 'new record') which would then read the json file (stored on device and update on sync) and create all the records required to match the structure. The whole purpose is to be able to create these multiple detail records without having to use server side code. I saw an application designed this way at devcon 2016 and a demo (by one of the main guys at Alpha - but can't remember his name) of small lightweight app there as well which did the same thing. We are proceeding on this path because we will have 40 forms and need to modify them quickly....and I can't be redistributing the app all the time.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Could you break it down a bit further? This type of process needs to be explained in detail.

"Read the json file (stored on device and update on sync). Does this mean that today I would create new records and at some point sync. But... that JSON might then be updated and may contain more or less columns... so that if I create new records tomorrow... the number of records may be different?

Also... "and create all the records required to match the structure". If there were 10 columns required for this form detail, then 10 records would be created... and each record would require User input. Once the user has completed the 10 records the data would be saved offline... but ready to sync at some point.

Is this right?

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
    Could you break it down a bit further? This type of process needs to be explained in detail.

"Read the json file (stored on device and update on sync). Does this mean that today I would create new records and at some point sync. But... that JSON might then be updated and may contain more or less columns... so that if I create new records tomorrow... the number of records may be different?

Also... "and create all the records required to match the structure". If there were 10 columns required for this form detail, then 10 records would be created... and each record would require User input. Once the user has completed the 10 records the data would be saved offline... but ready to sync at some point.

Is this right?
    The JSON file could be updated at any time upon synchronization and then any new records after that need to reflect the most recent structure. I'm assuming we could use client side data cache to store the json.

Yes, if there were 10 columns all ten would require input and then saved locally on the device (using the standard disconnected capability), and when the user decided to sync it would be pushed to the server.

I appreciate any help you give David. I was really hoping that someone had seen the demo at the conference and knew where a link was to it. Thanks.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

What was the nature of the demo? Was it a completed app?