Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

I wish I were a new alpha user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I were a new alpha user

It was really kind of alpha to offer the free hour of help with alpha for NEW PURCHASERS ONLY. I guess I purchased my version too soon. I find this troubling because I have been an alpha user since version 3 and if I was a new customer then I get the service.

I dont get it. If you are a loyal purchaser then you get nothing. Something wrong with that???? I assure you I am not a moaner but I find this highly unfair. What does everyone else think?

RE: I wish I were a new alpha user

It's even worse!

If you don't live in USA, UK or Italy, you won't get any help even when you buy a new license!

Matthias Kaelin

Comment

David,

First of all as an old Alpha user you would of had different incentives along the way, eg full refund of upgrade from V4.5 to V5

I think you are in the very eviable position of being able to help all these new users with all the skill you have gotten for free on this message board and I am sure you will want to pass on your knowlage to these new users.

I bet there are lots of things you can teach me with regard to Alpha. I am willing to learn and help others where I can.

Keith Hubert
      Guild Member
      London.
      Regards
      Keith Hubert
      Alpha Guild Member
      London.
      KHDB Management Systems
      Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Yes you will get help in the UK.

Keith Hubert
        Guild Member
        London.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Do think the automobile mgg should give you the new cash back incentive on a car you allready own? Sales incentives are a standard way of doing business. Alpha is under no obligation to extend a new sales incentive to old customers.

Comment

David - email me, and I'll give you a free hour of help.
            Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
            972 524 8714
            [email protected]

Comment

If I understand the free support program correctly, this is not a service being offered by Alpha Software directly, rather it is a courtesy that the "member supported and staffed" Alpha Guild is extending to new users.

Each member of "The Guild" receives opportunities from Alpha Software to contact new Alpha purchasers with an offer to assist them in becoming familiar with the product and how it works, answer any questions they might have AND offer their consulting services...for a fee!

I don't know this to be a fact, but I suspect that this offering is the brain child of the guild, not Alpha software, and I think it is a very generous offer considering that these folks have their own projects to work on and businesses to run.

David...You've been using Alpha since version 3? Perhaps you too could join the Alpha Guild so that you can share your extensive experience with new users?

Heck, you might even make a buck or two.

Comment

I appreciate all your responses. However, I do have a different outlook then what is being presented. It used to be as a good customer you got incentives for continuing using a product. Personally, I am not appreciative of the new style of getting new customers. For instance, I bought and installed my dish satellite. Many years later after paying the bill on time and being a good customer I am not given any of these incentives. Now they are giving it away with free installation. When I called them and asked for a second receiver I was advise that it would cost me 49.95. No exceptions! Well I am no longer a dish customer. I am quite aware of the "new technique" of getting new customers but I am not a fan of this practice.

Please understand, I am not a bitcher and moaner. It's just when I ask if I could get that same benefit and am told it is for "new customers" only then I will say how I feel. I have been an alpha advocate after working with Q&A as a consultant. As alpha knows many people here are very dedicated to their product. Lets not treat this as a black and white situation.

When we make marketing decisions then we have to be able to stand the criticism that comes with it. Enough said!

Comment

:)

Hey David, I just started with Alpha a month ago. Missed the offer by days.

But out of the kindness of my heart I'll give you an hour of free consultation ;) Go ahead ask anything I dont know :)

I'd trade the learning curve for experience but no free consultation.

Bo

Comment

David:
                    Alpha's home page says "over 1 million database products sold," and while it may well be that not all of them are what you call "good customers", just who would you expect to provide the (potentially) 1 million hours of free consultation?

I think you have missed the point of what the incentive is about, and what the Guild is about. From my perspective, Alpha is already rewarding its loyal customers in the most productive way possible - by focussing on quick fixes of bugs, and creating better new products.

Do I wish I could get an hour of free consultation - I mean - besides the dozens, (or hundreds?) of free hours I get from using this forum ? Sure, of course I do.

But do I wish I was a new Alpha user? Not a chance !!
                    I just have to think about what I was using before Alpha !!

Bob

Comment

Look guys, I appreciate your responses but for some reason you don't get it. I asked a simple question and got the refusal. I am not looking for sympathy. That is not the issue. All companies set their standards and that's perfectly fine. However, not everyone will want that either. Many of you have user groups in areas where alpha is strong. I used to live in St. Louis and now I live in Springfield Mo and I still have yet to find anyone around here who uses alpha.

I don't want anyones charity and actually I resent the implication. I was stating a fact and that's it. I defended Alpha with their price jump. When I think they are right I will do that. However, if I think they are wrong I will criticize. I am somewhat offended by the attitude. What, do we have the politically correct police out there? Chill guys.

Comment

You DID ask what others thought !!!

Comment

David

I apologise if you found my comment insulting, it wasn't meant so. I think I just wanted to point out that the "free hour" for most users is likely going to be a lot like a test drive. How do I get started....

Software introductions most often don't ask deep and probing questions. They can center on a useful 'welcome to Alpha' topic list that people who have used the software for a while are likely familiar with. For the consultant they also offer an opportunity because it might establish a regular relationship with the same shared outlook from the beginning.

I imagine more experienced users would be harder to give the hour to because one is more likely to hear about older issues that may not have a solution, or cannot be resolved in one hour.

David, I really didn't think you were asking for charity, just griping about a deal you weren't part of. Since you said you wished you were a 'new' alpha user, and I am one, I thought I'd give my 2 cents.

I personally think there isn't a single good consultant who won't venture a free hour of time with a possible client, if they have the time to spare. Its shrewd to create a way to make your own deal.

Good luck, Bo

Comment

Some background on this promo:

this reply is being sent by richard rabins, [email protected]

The big picture.

Alpha is focused primarily on building excellent database software and giving users a choice in a world where, based on Microsoft's marketing and licensign tactics, most consumers and businesses think that MS Access is their ONLY choice! (bear in mind that the under Federal Law Microsoft has been found to be a monopolist).

Alpha does not see itself as slick marketing company by any means, but rather relies on hard work and a laser beam focus on product innovation and excellence. Besides the product, we know that our other "secret weapon" is our customer base, i.e. you and and your colleagues who have made a bold decision to think for yourselves and choose a tool that is right for YOU.

It is therefore troubling to read that even a small minority of our customers felt this consulting promotion was unfair. Our motivation is very simple -- we have hundreds and increasingly, thousands of people coming to our web site willing to try Alpha Five (in the face of potential hostility from their clients and bosses who may not have heard of Alpha Five). Our promotion is simply aimed at getting those people "over the hump" so they can join, and over time, contribute to this incredible Alpha User Community that you ALL have created for the greater good.

In the ligth of this background, I fervently hope and trust that this note will shed some light on the topic.

Thanks for reading this and thank you for being a member of the Alpha Five Community.

Comment

Well you opened up a can of worms as I said before. There are also some of us who could use the help to. When I emailed and was told no I must admit I was somewhat put off. We that have supported alpha just think it should not be a black and white issue and there should be more said than just no.

I really don't appreciate the attitude of some people seeminglike we are asking for something that we don't deserve. All I did was ask a question. As I have said earlier I have backed alpha all the way. There is always a danger that when these types of promotions are brought out that some people who truly need help and have supported alpha should get especially if some of the new customers are getting it too.

What I am most trying to figure out is why some of the people on this board are being so defensive for alpha and attacking me. I would have thought the answer would have been slightly different. It really does get tough sometimes when you pay good money for a program and just ask for what someone else is getting and get this kind of response. Truly disappointing!

Comment

Working...
                              X