Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can Desktop apps be better than Web based?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can Desktop apps be better than Web based?

Originally posted by neil_albala View Post
    This model-of-development presents a whole new market for developers and Alpha Software.
    The $699 price, is for a new user to buy and "Enterprise" runtime license.

Note: Only the "Enterprise" licenses include remote SQL capability.

Ok, thanks. I missed the obvious. Good question. The "upgrade" for Enterprise 3-RT is $549. Since, as you note, there was no prev. "Enterprise" RT, I imagine you automatically qualify. Perhaps a call into sales might be appropriate?
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I would bet there is negotiating room.
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

A classic example is RealBasic.com, they just realized that they needed a SQL compatible database and bought out SQLite, their product is called RealSQL server.
        That's not true. SQLite is 100% free and always will be. RealBasic created their own flavour and created a server version. The soure code for SQLite is freely available and any one can do anything they want with it. It is used in a large number of free and commercial products.

Alpha can't control how many users connect to MySQL or MS SQL and they shouldn't. For example if you are connecting to MS SQL, then the number of connectios is controled by the license you have from MS. So MS controls it and not Alpha. If you have a 10 user license then only 10 users can use it at the same time.

If you write an application in say VB6 it's available to everyone and they don't have to buy anything
        I totally agree. It is up to the developer to control licensing of software they create. If Alpha is a developent tool then they cannot put a restriction on the number of copies of my apps that I can distribute. If they do they will never win over users from other platforms. I use several developent tools and none of them have runtime licensing. I create my apps, and I distribute as many as I want.

In the end, the whole thing is a disguised website.
        It's not a web site. He is building a full blown Windows app tha can connect to an MS SQL / MySQL database. That database can be on the local machine, a local network or a remote server. If it is a remote server then it uses the internet to connect to the server so in this case yes the interent is required for the connection. The point is that it cannot be called a web app because the same app can be used on a single computer, a network or over the internet and the app itself always runs on the local computer. In my opinion these kind of apps have way more potential than browser based apps and you don't have all the restrictions and limitations. If you build in sychronization, you can have a local copy of the data when you are not connected and then synch later when you are. Now you have the best of both worlds.

The 3 User Runtime is a different issue because it relates to how many users can access the same Alpha database at the same time, just like how MS controls how many users can connect to MS SQL. Now that Alpha can be used as a frontend to other databases it's all changed. Alpha is better off trying to sell to more developers and not worry about charging runtime fees. When it comes to building frontend apps, there are a lot of tools to choose from so stick to making it powerfull and easy to use so that more developers will choose it and let the developer worry about licensing the apps she/he creates.

Of course building these kind of apps is nothing new. Access has been doing this for years and so have others, but it is new for Alpha. Alpha should concentrate on making it so that using any backend database is the same has using native Alpha dbfs. make forms and reports independant of tables.
        Dermot Fitzpatrick
        www.fitzsolutions.com

Comment

In order to build such a project-- that is-- a desktop client for a remote mySQL server, it does seem... that the database design process, where you define the tables, keys, and views, needs to start with a mySQL database.

And while the the A5 Data Explorer is ideal for designing views and reports, to actually create a mySQL table from scratch, you might need something else.

EMS at
          SQLmanager.net
          had a long standing reputation of reliability. A couple of years back, they were marketing a LITE version. It turned out the LITE version had all the mySQL creation and editing tools most people need, so most people didn't upgrade. And now, even though they no longer promote the LITE version, if you look real closely on their web site, it is still available.

It's a great place to start if you're considering one of these projects. Here's the download link. Notice it does say, "Free" under license.

EMS SQL Manager 2007 Lite for MySQL 4

PS: I wish I could create a table in A5, then have A5 generate a an SQL Create-Table. Can that be done?
          Last edited by neil_albala; 05-03-2007, 03:10 PM.

Comment

A great tool for managing and creating remote or local MySQL databases from your desktop is SQLyog http://www.webyog.com/en/ They have a free version that will fit most peoples needs.

Originally posted by neil_albala View Post
            In order to build such a project-- that is a desktop client for a remote mySQL server, it does seem... that the database design process, where you define the tables, keys, and views, needs to start with a mySQL database.

And while the the A5 Data Explorer is ideal for designing views and reports, to actually create a mySQL table from scratch, you might need something else.

EMS at SQLmanager.net
            had a long standing reputation of reliability. A couple of years back, they were marketing a LITE version. It turned out the LITE version had all the mySQL creation and editing tools most people need, so most people didn't upgrade. And now, even though they no longer promote the LITE version, if you look real closely on their web site, it is still available.

It's a great place to start if you're considering one of these projects. Here's the download link. Notice it does say, "Free" under license.

EMS SQL Manager 2007 Lite for MySQL 4

PS: I wish I could create a table in A5, then have A5 generate a an SQL Create-Table. Can that be done?
            Dermot Fitzpatrick
            www.fitzsolutions.com

Comment

Attached is a copy of the alpha database that now connects to MySQL version 5.0.
              The speed is excelent!!
              If you are able to get to the control panel and look at the code, you will be able to see that it really doesn't take much to create a remote desktop application.
              I only wish that there was a way to create an xdialog list with columns using a preformatted list. If you notice on the "View All", I created fake columns using buttons to be able to sort.

I also love the Application Server, web apps have other advantages than desktop apps.

The user name is : alphauser
              The password is: alpha
              Use server ip: 70.56.214.140

Will keep the connection open for one day.
              If anybody has any suggestions or wants to improve coding, please let us know.

Adios.
              The Mexican

Comment

Hi Mario,

I get a 'Cannot Connect to DB' message using all 3 of the server IP's provided.

Bob Arbuthnot

Comment

Probably you are behind a firewall that is blocking tcp port 3306. Check on that. I just tried it and it works.
                  Remember that you have to have the enterprise version of A5V8 or the enterprise runtime in order to run the app.
                  The Mexican

Comment

Just got on and am impressed. Would be interesting to see how it would perform with considerably more records. I am going back in to look at coding etc.

Thanks for setting this up.

Ken

Comment

Feel free to add any records to database, this is a test database. I would like to see how long it takes to load over 200 records.
                      Of course you would limit the number of records that you show on the "View All" screen and add buttons to see the next 10 records and the next previous records.
                      This was actually the main reason I change from MS SQL to MySQL.
                      In MySQL you can decide what records you can see using the LIMIT clause
                      for example if you want to see records from 20 to 30 you would use:
                      Select from * from parents order by last Limit 19,10

With MS SQL it would take acommand 15 lines long. You have to combine two select statements within each other, horrible staff!

I will leave the server up for another day.
                      The Mexican

Comment

Working...
                      X