Alpha Video Training

Thread: thumbnail in grid changes...

Real Name
    Rusty Auxier

Default thumbnail in grid changes...

Hello
    http://www.manitoulinchrysler.ca/newveh.htm
    This is a small online database for a local car dealership.
    You can click on the stock number to see details and a larger picture of the vehicle. At first glance, everything looks ok, but after clicking on the detail link, the thumnail for the first vehicle changes to whatever vehicle you were looking at.
    Got any ideas?

What other info do you need? Everthing is v8.

Thanks
    Rusty

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Default Re: thumbnail in grid changes...

Rusty,

I've worked on a similar site, www.ineedwheels.com, and the key, I think, is how you identify the picture and the thumbnail. The text doesn't change but the thumbnail does. I looked at the source for the page, but can't see how you are doing it. Maybe if you can provide a little detail.

Pat

Real Name
    Rusty Auxier

Hi Pat
    this has been a real nightmare for me.
    I did the initial database way over a year agao. I have been using alpha for many years but in a very limited capacity... I was, however able to make this work using an image reference instead of embedding the picture in the database. Worked GREAT for a year. Updated it every so often etc. no problems. Then one day, out of the blue, it started repeating records found on the first page on the second page (I have 18 records in database; it's set to display 10 per page. When you click on next or last, it would repeat records from the 1st page to make 18) Very strange. In the process of trying to fix it, I changed the field for the picture to a jpeg image type instead of image file reference. THEN I was unable to get it to display the pictures at all; not locally in the app or after it was published across my lan. FINALLY, I am not exactly sure how I did it, I WAS able to get it display the pics on the WAS server, but when you clicked on the link to see the detail view it was changing the thumbnail image of the first record in the grid on me like you saw.
    Well, I went and tried to fix it again and ended up buggering it up again by changing the filed back to an image reference. I can get it to work smooth as silk locally, but when I publish it across the lan I get the dreaded Linked image not found: \images\2414A.jpg. If you browse to
    http://67.58.217.235/images/2414A.jpg you can clearly see it IS there. You can even leave off the /images/ in the url and see it's THERE too.

Can someone please tell me... where does it get that path (\images\2414A.jpg) from? and how do I change it or put the frickin images there!? I have been working on this literally for WEEKS and it's driving me crazy.
    I realize the difference between the / and the \.

So now, if you go back to my vehilce page, http://www.manitoulinchrysler.ca/newveh.htm you will see I have totally botched it again.

At the risk of begging, someone PLEASE HELP ME GASP

Thanks

Rusty

Real Name
    Rusty Auxier

By the way, being the neophyte that I am, I simply follow instructions to do the web app... I get the database working first, then start the webserver, create a grid component, then an a5w page, save it as index.a5w, insert my component, set my alias (\\mic-was\a5webroot\ which is the name of my was server and the path on it) and publish it. Like I said, it worked for about a year and to my knowledge I did nothing to break it.

Thanks again!

Real Name
    Rusty Auxier

Holy man what a trip this is... I decided to publish it to the local webroot and see what happens... it seems to work; it displays the pictures BUT it does that damn thing with the thumbnail on the first record in the grid... it REPLACES it with whatever vehicle you view the details on... the thumbnail is the only thing that changes!

Looks like I may still have that issue even if i resolve this path issue!

Thanks again

Real Name
    Rusty Auxier

OK I think I see where it gets the path from; I changed the image file name (right clicked on the image, change image file name and changed the path to the root or the folder with the rest of the database files are) after I copied the images there. I only did it on the first 2 records and you can see the change in the error message.
    I still am unable to resolve the issue tho.

Real Name
    Rusty Auxier

Ok well now I am back to totally broken... this is what I get now.

Error 3 - Error loading [PathAlias.ADB_Path]\inventory.dbf: The system cannot find the path specified. \[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\inventory.dbf

I am THIS CLOSE to hiring someone to do this for me...or at least show me how to do it!
    I see Alpha Software has a 'mentor' program or something like that.
    I really could use it. I am on my way out of town tomorrow and won't be back until Tuesday, but I am thinking seriously about hiring someone.

Thanks

Rusty

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Rusty,

I can see your frustration and I have no solution since I have not gone as far as you so far with this kind of app.

There is one suggestion pertaining to naming for this as I was taught and got chided when I did not do it. The pics should be uniform in size, use the stock number for the main pic and add a _1, _2 etc for each additional picture. I promise your customer will eventually want up to 15 - 16 pictures of each vehicle on there.

Hope this helps.

Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Steve Wood

I am THIS CLOSE to hiring someone to do this for me...
    Just a plug for all of the consultants on the board - this does not need to be a method of last resort. I have been hired by some dozens of user/other developers to get them past some stopping point. It's totally worth it (based on their comments). We (consultants) generally know Alpha front to back, and that's what lets us resolve problems.

Like for your latest problem, since the error includes the string [PathAlias.ADB_Path] it means that Alias is not getting replaced with its value at publishing time. Alpha recently modified their default to resolve the Alias at Runtime, not Publish time (which was a mistake, to default it that way at least). To resolve your problem, go to Edit > Settings > Web Publishing > Alias Resolution and toggle it to Publish Time. Then republish. Either that or you did not publish at all, just copied files to the server.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Rusty,

Steve would be the one who I would approach on a web app if it was beating me to death.

That said, there is a web app example that comes with alpha on a flower site. There are a bunch of different pictures of the flowers included and the app does like you want yours to. I have not parsed it all out(not even started), but maybe it holds the key to what you want to do? May be worth looking at. At least the flower stays where it is supposed to and does not take the place in a different record. It seems with a little change here and there, it may be a great place for your app.

I found this in V9 and am not sure if it is included in V8 or not. I unloaded V8.

edit: It is included in V8

The attachement may help you. It is a zipped up Jing file. All it shows is a bit of how to handle those pictures. It would be better to install the sample file and see for your self. I think.

Last edited by DaveM; 08-10-2008 at 12:12 PM.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Rusty Auxier

Thanks for all of the info guys... I have been out of town for the last 6 days...still gone at the moment too but was able to remotely work on this a bit.
    Steve, I just meant I want to do this myself... I thought that's what Alpha was all about. I am trying to MAKE a buck or two from it myself and all I am damn doing is SPENDING... Upgrades everytime I turn around on first v7 and a runtime license then a WAS... Then V8 and another WAS upgrade.. now that I have upgraded to V9 I am going to have to fork out AGAIN eventually on ANOTHER WAS upgrade too... NOW it looks like I am agoing to have to HIRE someone to FIX something I initially did by myself.

I guess I require some assistance here tho. Right now, what it's doing is all I can get. Linked image not found again. Taking your advice I was able to resolve the alias problem, then ended up witha security settings issue that you resolved for someone else; it was resolved by deleting the gui.security.settings file and re-publishing.

I am going to be home Late Monday afternoon and can look at it again when I'm working on it locally.

Thanks to you too Dave for your suggestions!

Rusty

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Rusty,

One of your problems is using the same picture for both the enlarged and the thumbnail version, so when you select the detail view, that causes the change.

You can try one of two things: You could make two copies of each picture, not just one. So, for example, one would be 1234A and one would be T1234A. Then use the T version for the thumbnail and the non-T for the enlarged version.

A second idea is to link to a separate page instead of the detail view to show the vehicle details.

Pat

Real Name
    Rusty Auxier

Hi Pat
    Thank You so much for your continuing suggestions!!
    I have followed it, and it works PERFECTLY locally! I was seeing the changing thumbnail image locally as well as after it was published; I no longer have the issue locally! I made a thumbnail sized copy of the image, made a new field to hold it, added it to the grid and voila, works great locally!
    Sadly as you can see, i STILL the dreaded 'linked image not found' error.
    So now "all" I need to do is resolve that and I am home free!
    Can you or anyone else offer any suggestions as to what's up with that?
    I do have an alias issue as well. While trying to resolve this, (in version 8) I added an alias from within the web application (define path and connection string aliases I believe) and now I am unable to delete it. Version 9 looks different in that respect. (alias attachment)
    An alias for images per say was not defined before in earlier versions... I KNOW I had this working in v8 with no alias for images anyway. I added that trying to fix the problem; now I get an error that tells me "alias images not defined in profile; please specify a value for this alias now" (see alias_error attachment)

Thanks!

Rusty

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Rusty,

I believe it is expecting [PathAlias.Images] rather than just [Images]

Pat

Real Name
    Rusty Auxier

I changed my alias to read [PathAlias.ADB_Path] = c:\a5webroot\
    [PathAlias.Images] = c:\a5webroot\ (following the example created by the wizard that launches in version 9 that quizzes you about where the files are)
    I have also tried \\MIC-WAS\A5Webroot\ on both and I get the exact same error message...linked image not found... man...
    I did a quick new project in another folder on my WAS and I got the exact same message too.
    Any chance I need to remove and re-install the software on my WAS box?
    I am running another database or two in sub folders and they work great...but they don't have images in them! Well, I lied... all of them but one are having the 401 Unauthorized
    The security settings for this server are missing or incomplete. issues and I don't the database files themselves loaded on any of my machines any more...
    The one that is still running has a log in component and after I log in I am able to access and search the records no problem. There are 784 records in that database. So I am REASONABLY sure there is nothing wrong with the server but man this is really frustrating...

Thanks!

Real Name
    Richard Urban

Regarding using linked images in a grid. I had all kinds of problems trying to use an image reference field with an alias; it worked on the local machine, but would not link to the alias in the web server, even though the alias was defined. Also, when I used a jpg image field, the image would display very large, and there was no way to adjust the size. Also, using the image field itself as a link does not work.
    What does work well is to use another field other than the image field that you want to link to, such as ID or any other field. Then select Control type = link and Display what in link?= Image in another control. I use a character field that includes the complete URL of the image, which avoids the problem of worrying about aliases. It works well. You should also check the box to hide the column with the image so it only appears once.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

For images in a Grid, I most often use a Calculated Field with expression such as below, then define them as you suggest; I make the field an img field, but hide it, and use another defined as a link to show the image.

Code:
    img_icon = if(file.exists("images/products/icon/"+alltrim(Item_No)+".jpg"),"images/products/icon/"+alltrim(Item_no)+".jpg","images/products/icon/noimage.jpg")
    img_med  = if(file.exists("images/products/medium/"+Item_No+".jpg"),"images/products/medium/"+Item_no+".jpg","images/products/medium/noimage.jpg")
    The above show a default image if the indexed one is not found.

I NEVER use an Image Reference Field in a web application unless I need that image to be embedded in an Alpha Five report. Otherwise, there is no reason to put up with the fussyness of that field type.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Rusty, I could not decipher what problem you are having in your last post.
    Steve Wood