Alpha Video Training

Thread: Web Security not working - maybe something simple?

Real Name
    Glenn Knott

Default Web Security not working - maybe something simple?

I am pretty new to Alpha 5 and am trying to set up security. I followed the steps: Security framework activated on the server, activated settings in the Web Security Configuration, created a login component and page, set up users and groups, set up page security and published security files.

However, when I test the login screen I get an error displayed in red above the login box: "WebSecurity: Security is not active"

It seems like I have done everything necessary - did I just miss a step somewhere? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Glenn Knott
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Default Re: Web Security not working - maybe something simple?

You are testing your login in LivePreview, where security is not active. You need to publish to localhost or a server to test security.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Wendy Welton

And - when you do publish to your localhost or server, don't forget that you have to check the box "Publish Security Data Tables" the first time you publish. It's not checked automatically (because you only have to do it the first time) and it's easy to miss or forget.

It will give you a different error message (will say "missing" instead of "not active") - but if you're new enough to be feeling your way through Preview etc - I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

And - on Tuesday, IADN is having a 1 hour class "Web Applications Basics - Getting Started" for a whopping $18 that might help you. It's by Steve Workings, same guy who did the Getting Started Videos. But, this one is live, so I imagine you can ask a few questions, time permitting of course. http://www.alphadevnet.com/webinars.a5w. I already have an app up and running, but I'm going to do it anyway, because it's $18 and because it's Steve W, who knows where all the land mines are a newbie can step on.
    Last edited by WendyWelton; 10-29-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: facts were wrong!!!
    Wendy Welton
    Architect
    past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Real Name
    Steve Wood

And - on Monday, IADN is having a 1 hour class "Web Applications Basics - Getting Started" for a whopping $11 that might help you. It's by Steve Workings, same guy who did the Getting Started Videos. But, this one is live, so I imagine you can ask a few questions, time permitting of course. http://www.alphadevnet.com/webinars.a5w. I already have an app up and running, but I'm going to do it anyway, because it's $11 and because it's Steve W, who knows where all the land mines are a newbie can step on.
    Thanks Wendy - The class is on Tuesday Nov 1st. and we bumped the price to $18 to ensure we cover basic costs.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Wendy Welton

Red face Re: Web Security not working - maybe something simple?

Oops - I guess I better adjust my calendar also! Thanks. I edited my post. So I'll eat one less McD's thingy to cover the difference. Hmmmm - learn stuff and lose weight too! ;-)
    Wendy Welton
    Architect
    past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Real Name
    Glenn Knott

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have the security working now. Figuring out all of this can be a bit confusing at first. I've done a lot of application development in the past but nothing web related - so all that is new as well.

Thanks again.