Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to run multiple web sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to run multiple web sites

Hello

In the last hour you may have seen some downtime on my server

All has been setup on a new box Apache and Alpha server are running on the same box using proxypass

Windows standard server 2003
    Apache 2.2.17
    Alpha application server 10.5

glbaird

Comment

@Dave,
      Looks like the webserver hasn't been updated in over 3 years..

Alan
      Yes, I found that out after I got off work. Doing some checking. Not sure about that one yet.

LOL

At least trying, because I have not found what I am looking for yet.

Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

http://www.iqproxyserver.com/

I thought I would post the above link. The software does reverse proxy, offloads ssl, does url rewrites, protects the web servers it stands in front of, plus a lot of other stuff, and can handle 60,000 simultaneous connections. I'm not sure if this will solve the problem mentioned in this thread but thought it might be something to look at. I've not used it but stumbled acrossed it some time back for a completely different issue.

Comment

I just found this on there web site.

"point each domain/path to different target LAN server/port"

Comment

found in the abyss website today:

Abyss Web Server can serve more than one web site from the same computer. This is often called virtual hosting or support for multiple hosts. Each defined host has its specific configuration and is completely independent from other hosts. Virtual hosting is only available in the professional edition Abyss Web Server X2.
            I did not see this before - This version is 59.95 according to their site. Will try it out pretty soon.

Also, the other one I mentioned above = "keyfocus" = found the website owners in the Netherlands. Trying to contact them. I am going to try the software anyhow and see if it is what it says.

Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave

Apache if free and current there is a windows install version
              and some free graphical config tools
              download link is on the page

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/windows.html#down

free config tool lite version

http://www.apache-gui.com/apacheconf/index.html

hand hacking the httpd.conf file is not that bad

Greg

Comment

In Web I think we should concentrate to the main stream: Apache (with or without Litespeed) or IIS. We should forget any other second hand server alternatives. This does not mean that others are bad servers.

There is just no point to use others because the hole Web is in practice build around Apache and IIS servers. You can get one managed or unmanaged just like that from every hosting company. They are secure and hosting company's knows how to run them properly.

Web servers should run in port 80. This is a standard. If you need another server just because one server is not good enough running alone the problem (one) is that you just can't hide the other server from one who want to harm it. Sooner or later one finds it.

Alpha will in near future be a .Net solution and they officially prefer to use MSSQL. Only conclusion I get from this is that we should really concentrate from now on to IIS. This also opens doors to ASP.NET which I have found (after Alpha told from their .Net solution) a very interesting platform. (I can just recommend Expression Web Studio with Visual Studio to everybody.)

Today WAS(10.5) is really just an Application Server best in intranet solutions. It is not in any way a competitor to Apache or IIS. They are Web Servers.

In fact the actual development of WAS is so minimal year after year that the cap just becomes bigger and bigger.
                The situation we now have makes developers to seek desperate solutions to hide Was from users. ONLY solution is to get rid of WAS.

I have asked this before but really, what good is in WAS? Why do we have to use it. It just takes our choices away.

If we could use today IIS the question how to run multiple web sites would never needed to publish to this (or other) forum.

Comment

It's not enough that Apache or Abyss do virtual hosting. That's not the hold up. In order to run an Alpha Five app under Apache, etc. you have to run the WAS under Apache, etc. Apache would be on port 80, WAS on some other port. That is why Greg has used ProxyPass in his example. But the big issue to resolve is to ensure Site1 and Site2 are totally isolated, do not share session variables and are isolated in terms of security.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                    In fact the actual development of WAS is so minimal year after year that the cap just becomes bigger and bigger.
                    The situation we now have makes developers to seek desperate solutions to hide Was from users. ONLY solution is to get rid of WAS.
                    Ken

I don't think anybody is trying to hide the app server but I for one am trying to get more use from it do to it's lack of capability There are several bits missing from it no real hostname
                    only listens to one port and on I use to use codecharge for web/data with mysql it worked fine Alpha gives us a development solution but before I get ran out of here it evens lacks as the app server does One of my biggest gripes is the baggage you have to include in a simple desktop app Clarion created a simple exe and there you were

I think this whole thread is to make up for the short comings of the app server and nothing more just a bit of work to get it done and it takes a full web server to do it The app server is just that an app server that uses a port number and with the cost of the operating system to run it on FULL use of the system is a plus

Greg

Comment

Steve

key point Need to look at where session id's are stored and I thinks that security files will publish to the folders alright not sure I am more of a network hack than alpha programmer

site1 myweb.com data and security
                      site2 yourweb.com data and security
                      site3 theirweb.com data and security

The ProxyPreserveHost does as it should but does not show the session Id like without it If you don't use it you get to see the session Id and the nasty port number if different than a standard one 80 or 443

I have tried to get app server to run on more than on port and NO GO need a second license
                      what a crying shame one server and only one port

a thought

Greg

Comment

You are saying?

we need to be able to have a was

1 able to handle more than one site - say 5 or more completely independent(no variable sharings)? Yes for me!

2 a proxy server? - not sure what it is - I am a bit of a newbie with was

3 real email server for each website or that can handle what we need? - Yes we need this!

11s for me is no answer at this point due to only 1 web app. Maybe it can get better? why do I want to invest in both 2s and was and maybe apache if they all have the same limits?

Hmm.. I think I jut need a way to redirect to which web app and a was that seperates the apps from each other 100%?

edit: proxy is how we redirect? I think I got it.

Thinking while typing?

Last edited by DaveM; 12-28-2010, 05:13 PM.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

dave

your are on your own for a mail server mailenable standard is free and runs on windows server not to bad to setup you need IIS if you want the webmail to work SME server is free easy to setup and maintain full Small to Medium Enterprise server with web email ftp file samba services
                          not much for hardware requirements either

anyway proxy and proxy reverse from apache is something I am working on to be able to run more that one site from the app server but don't think the app server will really handle much load

the reasons to use apache should be obvious to all the app server only will answer to one name and one ip address and you need one server license for each running instance

apache will listen to many ip addresses and port numbers plus again the proxy thing we are making up for the lack of features in the app server

DOLLARS

$400 windowds server license minimum 2003 to run version 10.5 and on
                          $600 per app server license or more
                          $500 some kind of cheap computer to run all this on

IIS can do host header names but you will see the ugly port numbers http://www.appserver.com:8080 or whatever due to the fact one server per port number apache masks it thats why apache

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                            It's not enough that Apache or Abyss do virtual hosting. That's not the hold up. In order to run an Alpha Five app under Apache, etc. you have to run the WAS under Apache, etc. Apache would be on port 80, WAS on some other port. That is why Greg has used ProxyPass in his example. But the big issue to resolve is to ensure Site1 and Site2 are totally isolated, do not share session variables and are isolated in terms of security.
                            Extend the Class of the session like:
                            - session.APPS.[__protected__]yourvar

Comment

quick report back on keyfocus server and from the developer as I said I would:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your message. keyfocus.com is not at present on the top list
                              of our developments. If you make the right offer, we might be willing to
                              sell it.

Best wishes and regards,

Marc Schneiders
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by bea2701 View Post
                                Extend the Class of the session like:
                                - session.APPS.[__protected__]yourvar
                                Boy, that's clever! When you think of it, it almost seems obvious. But, of course, it is still a work-around.
                                Peter
                                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
                                X