Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to run multiple web sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to run multiple web sites

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
    Boy, that's clever! When you think of it, it almost seems obvious. But, of course, it is still a work-around.
    The Class is object orientated simply you can make this as you want.

BTW this is the CORE of an application [broker] system.
    Maybe an a idea for Alpha R&D to extend it and make it work.

Happy Easter!

Eric

Comment

Finally have some of it worked out. Have a horrible cold and maybe could have gone faster.

Have 2 sites working under was now. There does not seem to be much documentation on how to do it and not rel sure I did it by the book, but it works.

I never liked the no-ip solution. Found www.cheapname.com and placed 3 domain names there(waiting for two of them to complete the transfer). They have a solution for dynamic ip adresses which I hope will work. I wuill test later.

I can direct the domain name to my port kinda like this: 111.000.122.2:8080/index.a5w and it finds it just fine. The other is 111.000.122.2:8080/index.htm(will change this soon to a5w due to need). It does not show the port it only shows the domain name like (real) www.alsiesings.com . I will give you the other one when the transfers complete.

I am beginning to be more happy with was.

There is no apache or IIs involved and using a xp pro machine. Yes I will upgrade the whole affair as soon as I have it all worked out.

Might add, I do not need the same as some of you right yet. Maybe I will get there.

Main thing for me is - IT CAN BE DONE

Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave,

Missed it - which solution are you using that does not show the port number? And, since each WAS only runs on one port, does that mean you are using multiple instances of the WAS, one for each port?
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

Missed it - which solution are you using that does not show the port number? And, since each WAS only runs on one port, does that mean you are using multiple instances of the WAS, one for each port?
          I am running one instance of was. One port 8080. I have 2 applications in the webroot seperated into folders. It was a Bi... to set up but now it is easy.

By going to another computer I can type the ip+port+file.a5w and it opens that folder and app. I can't put the new dn in until they are fully transfered.

I will go live with it as soon as I have my domain names complete.

The solution to the port number is the way namecheap does the redirect.

There are 4 parts to it in namecheap:
          http://www.alsiesings.com and URL Redirect
          http://173.169.192.3:8080/index.a5w and URL Frame

click on www.alsiesings.com and you won't see a port number.

I will give more when tested completely.

Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Forgot to mention: I do have to pubish each one of them seperately.
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I'll wait until you have the second one set up, but I am sure that means they are not properly isolated and your two applications will share session variables. But we can test. The 'way cheapnames redirect' I'm sure is to run your website in an IFrame, masking the port number in the actual IFrame. Same as how No-IP would do it.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

The 'way cheapnames redirect' I'm sure is to run your website in an IFrame, masking the port number in the actual IFrame. Same as how No-IP would do it.
                I would think you are correct, only I don't have 2 providers to worry about, only one. There is no extra charge for it just like the dynamic ip tools.

Steve,

I don't know about the variables part and probably won't. I won't have much of that at this point. I can understand that as a problem in what you do though. It is my belief that alpha will find a way to overcome that in the next version. Remember, I still do destop and dabbling in web with alpha. I have made many web apps over the years, but not with alpha. It is all new to me.

Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

A lot of work to make things not work

Not all browsers can cope with iframes

everyone seems to not get the real issue we cannot change the way networks have to operate html redirects don't work to start with The only way that has a chance is using proxy due to common network operations and conventions

I can point 100 domain names to one ip address this is common
                  a router can only answer one port request for each port number
                  ----100 domain names pointing to a http port port 80 being standard and the ONLY way to get http requests to your server

Try typing www.google.com and see what happens http gets added do to the internet standards --- a domain name is not www though a true domain name is the google.com www ftp etc are cnames or aliases

back on track app server is a one port server and CAN answer requests for a few domain names I don't thinks it can really take much load maybe 25 to 50 hits

Problem in app server you cannot setup different root folders for domain names only one webroot folder and you cannot direct domain 1 to go to root 1 folder domain 2 to root 2 folder

The app server lacks these capabilities like IIS and Apache have

Different index page names will not work they are not part of a domain name so using index1.htm or index2.htm is no answer

I have worked with networking since Windows NT 3.51 came out and understand how this has to be placed together

Multiple instances of the app server is not even worth pursuing Alpha has seen to this just think about the limits of the app server and cost then look at what FREE servers can do

Think about the cost to go the next step a real sql server BIG money if you use MSSQL price it yourself

I have worked on the app server for way more hours than I should have and don't post the results here due to it being the Alpha forum ALPHA HAS PLACED THE LIMITS ON THE APP SERVER FOR A REASON more money

You want 5 app servers running then buy 5 licenses and 5 computers to run it on OR know networking and hacking Windows boxes pretty well You need a motherboard that has 5 pci slots for your nic's ----- see below

Did I forget anything oh ya 5 ip address into your home or office so each one can answer to port 80 requests

Saw a Staples office add Compaq desktop 3 gb memory 500 mb hard drive $299
                  Alpha might cut you a deal on 5 app server licenses
                  5 static ip addresses from At&t $ 70 mth Most home / small office routers can be hacked to
                  handle multiple ip's BUT they can only handle one use of a port number

Apache proxy is as close as you will ever get to make it work without the above.

Eelriver Networks
                  established 1998 after 5 years apprenticeship
                  Last edited by glbaird; 01-09-2011, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                    I'll wait until you have the second one set up, but I am sure that means they are not properly isolated and your two applications will share session variables. But we can test. The 'way cheapnames redirect' I'm sure is to run your website in an IFrame, masking the port number in the actual IFrame. Same as how No-IP would do it.
                    I'm curious now.

My understanding is that session variables are created when a session is initiated, and destroyed when the session is ended (or the lifetime of the variable has expired).

Is your concern that a user, properly logged in, could wander into what should be a separate website/application ?
                    Gregg
                    https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Steve,

from namecheap:
                      The URL Frame is similar to URL Redirect except that instead of redirecting the client to your web page, the web page is displayed in a frame from our web server.
                      With this method the client's browser will display your domain name (for example: www.mydomain.com) while they are using your site and not the actual URL to your page (For example: home.infospace.com/user33").
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                        Steve,

from namecheap:
                        The URL Frame is similar to URL Redirect except that instead of redirecting the client to your web page, the web page is displayed in a frame from our web server.
                        With this method the client's browser will display your domain name (for example: www.mydomain.com) while they are using your site and not the actual URL to your page (For example: home.infospace.com/user33").
                        Dave

why not just use a html redirect I don't want you to get mad but I have posted the only method on this thread that even comes close to working THE app server is not a web server it lacks many features to be one IT is Alpha's a5w server

If you are not running any web server like IIS PWS or Apache why not just put app server on port 80 to start with

Read the info on SME server it will run on very little and proxy out of it to your app server YOU have control and it also has a full mail server with webmail and mysql server In five or six years my SME box has went down every time the power has went out other than that it never gets rebooted

Greg

Comment

I agree with what Greg B. has said in the last couple posts.

Gregg S. - about sharing session vars between applications. This has been discussed and tested a lot on this forum. If you run site.com/folder1 and site.com/folder2 on the same WAS, same port and IP, they will share session variables. Pretty sure this is true even if they are in an IFrame. That means, guy 1 logs into folder1 app, whatever session var are set for him, exist for him (on the same computer/browser) in the folder2 application. That would include the significant session.__protected__ulink (the security framework user id). BUT that doesn't necessarily mean folder1 app guy has complete access to the folder2 app. Jerry would have to correct me but I think that IF the security GUID (supposed to be unique between apps) is different on folder1 app and folder2 app, then they are not technically logged in to folder2 just because they are logged in to folder1.

Confusing stuff, just assume that you cannot trust a two-application structure of site.com/folder1 and site.com/folder2* if the IP and port are are the same, and not running this under Apache, e.g. ISOLATED, etc.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by glbaird View Post
                            I have worked on the app server for way more hours than I should have and don't post the results here due to it being the Alpha forum ALPHA HAS PLACED THE LIMITS ON THE APP SERVER FOR A REASON more money
                            In last December Alpha did ask us in they New Survey : "How important/attractive it would be if Alpha were to add support for Microsoft IIS as a platform for deploying Web Apps?"

The conclusion I have from this is that they can do it if they(=we) want. So wake up everybody. They(=we) can use IIS if they(=we) decide to do so.

The short time (before they password protected it) an actual Alphapedia user and I could see the section What new in Version 11 (yes 11 no X1) there where a header something like this : enhancements in Application Server. Unfortunately there was just this header and no content yet.

Conclusions:
                            1. Was will be in version 11.
                            2. They have not yet decided what to do with Was version 11.
                            3. Question raises do they even have resources to make it better?

On the other hand why they just don't add some feature packs to WAS to make it better. Wouldn't that be nice.

(And we would all know that we could use IIS if Alpha just would let as use it)

Comment

Hello again

A thought for the high end app server gurus What happens when security gets uploaded

Does it go into the webroot folder or can it be put into
                              root1 folder
                              root2 folder and so on

also what about using security groups
                              member of
                              root1
                              root2 etc

also I don't know about session variables operation
                              are they per browser request LIKE cookies work ie: cookies are per request from each person that logs into a site like ebay or
                              amazon

session variables seen to be the only hangup at this point
                              and the 2 common web ports 80 & 443

IIS may be the way Alpha goes but it has always had weak points
                              No proxy ability until IIS 7 which is in Server 2008
                              and the PWS version can only operate 1 website

Greg

Comment

Would the following have the desired effect ?
                                Desired effect: secure communication between client and server without having to duplicate the application.

instance 1
                                uses port 80
                                ip address 192.168.0.1
                                webroot c:\a5webroot

instance 2
                                uses port 443
                                ip address 192.168.0.1
                                webroot c:\a5webroot
                                Gregg
                                https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Working...
                                X