Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Candidate next update is now available VS Alpha Five Version 11 Updates = conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Candidate next update is now available VS Alpha Five Version 11 Updates = conund

Alpha might do better if they focused more on the New User experience (ease-of-use) improvements, and just a very select few key features. Easy Web development is the only reason I chose Alpha, and I see focus shifting from easy to tons of features. I think easy will ship more boxes to new users. I think a couple powerful new key features in each major release will keep seasoned developers subscribing, and result in fewer bugs. I know the Alpha gang wants to give so much to the users. However, I wonder if the "feature race" is causing confusion in the office, and lower sales numbers (and probably a crazy amount of coffee consumption). You can't compete with Microsoft on features. You can destroy the competition with ease-of-use!

Comment

Re: Candidate next update is now available VS Alpha Five Version 11 Updates = conund

I'm new to A5, but I would have dropped A5 lickedty-split during my evaluation if it were not 'feature rich' (and as reasonably priced as it is).

I don't understand any comparison to Microsoft being on the table (I have not read the whole thread), as MS doesn't have any product (to my knowledge) that is comparable to A5.

A5 lets me go directly from my SQL database to a front end, without having to know anything about the internal plumbing.

MS had LightSwitch, which looked promising; but I don't want Silverlight....
      MSQL since 2010
      A5V11 since Feb 2012

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
        I spent at least 50% of my time making thing work that just didn't - look at this for example you do a free form search - you do a from-to in say dates, and it works, go turn the column heading to off and it's all over red-rover...
        This has happened several times to me, the latest last night. In order to work around a bunch of free space in the search part, I checked the Freeform box and created the freeform. It looked good. However when I clicked the search button, it now get an error message. Do I want to continue or stop. Makes no difference which I choose, it goes on anyhow. So, I unchecked the FreeForm and still get the error message. It's a lot less time to start over. Now that's frustrating/

And for the record the last time I tried to comment about bugs in V11, I got an email from Selwyn saying "I'm not aware of any bugs in V11" - and offered to help me if I paid for support..
        Yes, I've been told that as well. I was torked, to say the least because if it was't a bug, it was definitely something Alpha needed to address. I suspect they receive a a lot of bug reports, many of which are not bugs. My guess is, while some are bugs, most are due to the issue as mentioned above. Spend some time clearing up the nit picky things and you won't get near as many bug reports. The product will be much better, the sales will increase and we'll be a lot happier and a lot less frustrated.
        kenn
        TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Agreed! The ease-of-use and feature set are what sell Alpha. My comparison to Microsoft is that Redmond can add features easily, they have a lot of manpower. But alpha can create ease-of-use where Microsoft does not. It's their strong-point, and their selling point. Not to stop making new features, just maybe fewer per year. But it's just my opinion, and it's probably wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by totallycovered View Post
            Agreed! The ease-of-use and feature set are what sell Alpha. My comparison to Microsoft is that Redmond can add features easily, they have a lot of manpower. But alpha can create ease-of-use where Microsoft does not. It's their strong-point, and their selling point. Not to stop making new features, just maybe fewer per year. But it's just my opinion, and it's probably wrong.
            You are totally right (IMHO)! Developers choose Alpha for ease of usage, power & speed.... And since a5 has matured into a product well beyond what the casual user (FileMaker Pro users etc.) could be comfortable using..... A5 is now positioned primarily as a development tool competing against products like Dev. Studio........ And when problems manifest themselves from "quirks in the system" (resulting from running on an "unhardened /unproven code base" as I like to call it) the benefits of using a5 become questionable at best. ~ All I can say is that: If a5 looses it's "RAD development advantages" (due to internal buggy behavior), future for a5 won't be bright!"

Why? Because if you can code by hand using MS Dev. Studio, (slower but few surprises), you probably don't continually run into unexpected issues & anomalies that turn the tables in terms of efficiency & productivity...... And the side benefits are: You become literally "plugged into an industry standard" when "going the MS way".....

Honestly, once you do get deep enough into a5 and the underlying X-basic programming language...... You can't help but question: "Should I have just struggled longer with Dev Studio to get here?" ~ I'm "on the brink" of that place right now. I find myself thinking: "Should I use the GUI, or do it all in the XbE?" When unpredictable things happen, my answer is: code....

At this level, it's got to be tough for a5 to "un-complicate the complicated." And that's what a5's "claim to fame" originally was. (As I recall they focused on providing the "PC users" with the ability to program, akin to what Lotus did for business with spreadsheets.) ~ I wonder whether they have partially forgotten their roots, like many companies do! (In Alpha's defense, I suppose that market has largely disappeared though.) In any event, I personally wonder whether that at some point (in the not too distant future) whether the company may be sold to one of the "big sharks." ~ If/when that happens, all bets are off! I've experienced firsthand what Macromedia did a decade ago when it purchased Elemental Software (Drumbeat 2000). (They immediately became a "wrecking ball.") ~ Obviously, I sincerely hope this doesn't happen, at least in the foreseeable future! (especially the "wrecking ball" part)....

Don't get me wrong here: I still like using a5. ~Because in some "sick & twisted" way, it's fun to use when it works as expected.... Only I now just choose to stay about 6 months "behind the development cycle/curve." ~ This resolution (to avoid problems and pitfalls) works for me! [The downside is that Alpha lost a "determined, thorough & persevering debugger with a (nauseating, almost debilitating) 6'th sense."] ~ FYI: Whatever you call it, (my natural ability to virtually "will a computer problem into existence") is not a gift by any means, & you can have it, trust me!

~ I just hope they don't loose too many of us "bug-magnet software hounds", or the bugs won't get uncovered, documented & resolved in a timely fashion.
            (And then we'll all be in for a "treat").....
            Last edited by SNusa; 02-25-2012, 01:49 AM.
            Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
            It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
            RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

"Cleaner & faster/more powerful" is the preferred solution! - (not merely "faster/more powerful")
              Last edited by SNusa; 02-24-2012, 06:43 PM.
              It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
              RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Robert Nice to know I'm not alone - I agree with you well said- the message board is now almost void of any of the grass roots developers that were once excited and invigorated and helpful to those needing help - again it's not our product - we are the users - support and professional well thought documentation are not our responsibly - but are our expectation!
                Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Are we on the same message board?
                  Robert Nice to know I'm not alone - I agree with you well said- the message board is now almost void of any of the grass roots developers that were once excited and invigorated and helpful to those needing help - again it's not our product - we are the users - support and professional well thought documentation are not our responsibly - but are our expectation!
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                    Are we on the same message board?

All I can ad is that: If Alpha 5 didn't exist, I probably wouldn't have anything to do with programming / writing code anymore........
                    (still not entirely sure whether that's a good thing, or a bad thing)

Pete, Steve (and everyone else here) ~

Have a great weekend. I won't be around much for the next week or so. I'm going "a cruisin' in the Caribbean" with my sweetheart!
                    (Hope I don't forget everything I've learned here! ~ No computers, no tablets, no email, no message boards, not even a working cell phone.... AAaaahhhh, BLISS!)

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
                      This has happened several times to me, the latest last night. In order to work around a bunch of free space in the search part, I checked the Freeform box and created the freeform. It looked good. However when I clicked the search button, it now get an error message. Do I want to continue or stop. Makes no difference which I choose, it goes on anyhow. So, I unchecked the FreeForm and still get the error message. It's a lot less time to start over. Now that's frustrating/

Yes, I've been told that as well. I was torked, to say the least because if it was't a bug, it was definitely something Alpha needed to address. I suspect they receive a a lot of bug reports, many of which are not bugs. My guess is, while some are bugs, most are due to the issue as mentioned above. Spend some time clearing up the nit picky things and you won't get near as many bug reports. The product will be much better, the sales will increase and we'll be a lot happier and a lot less frustrated.
                      kenn
                      And for the record the last time I tried to comment about bugs in V11, I got an email from Selwyn saying "I'm not aware of any bugs in V11" - and offered to help me if I paid for support..

WOW! In Alpha's defense, they (Selwyn & Cian @ Alpha) have always been very, very, very accommodating (to me) with regards to reporting bugs and getting fixes over the years. (I've found some "beautes" too, like the very recent embedded browse bug!) ~ I had actually uncovered /discovered it about a year ago, but it was never fixed until this year, when I followed up with a code example (a few weeks ago). ~So they could visually see exactly what was "broken."

Comment

Are we on the same message board? - yes, point being - Steve a conductor alone does not make an orchestra, there are many other voices no longer heard on the board, that once gave all. That's all I'm saying.
                        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                        Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                        US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

I disagree with you Pete. I know one user who found a bug last week, started a discussion about it including wondering whether it was a bug, and a couple days later the pre-release version of A5 had this fixed. While this is circumstantial evidence, it appears pretty clear to me that Alpha is definitely watching and monitoring this board and all posters here, always with an eye to perfecting their very complex product.
                          -Steve
                          sigpic

Comment

What is it all about: bugs or frustration?
                            someone with polite words now trying to make a point that works then at least not because I think that 80% of users say what is it about? and understands nothing. Nonsensical statements, half-informed references like a ball game without a winner. Show well once in a concrete where is the pain instead of meow.
                            One thing I know certainly the community atmosphere is going well in advance especially persevere .... Steve BTW I share his opinion

Comment

Originally posted by bea2701 View Post
                              What is it all about: bugs or frustration?
                              someone with polite words now trying to make a point that works then at least not because I think that 80% of users say what is it about? and understands nothing. Nonsensical statements, half-informed references like a ball game without a winner. Show well once in a concrete where is the pain instead of meow.
                              One thing I know certainly the community atmosphere is going well in advance especially persevere .... Steve BTW I share his opinion
                              "Bugs create unnecessary frustration."

Replying to you question, my response is an unequivocal "BOTH".... It all comes down to one unsurprising fact: Software companies perpetually get caught up in trying to deliver "the latest and greatest." (at the expense of QC) In doing so, things are seldom really ready to ship when they do. The bigger the product, the larger the issues. Especially when you are delivering a program designed to develop other programs. (OMG, what a feat in itself!) If you look through this message-board, you will find hundreds of examples where trial and error gets around an "a5 design issue / flaw." Frequently, these bugs go un-noticed as a result of "high level users" either 1.) not reporting them, or 2.) not using the a5 programs' "built in wizardry." (These advanced users/developers can simply code much like the would within MS Dev. Studio, and with their experience, they know enough to "punch out a quick workaround" after quickly diagnosing the issues.) ~ Hence, from a productivity standpoint: The necessity to know X-basic (for a5) is a fundamental IMHO..... In the end, there is a "steep and slippery slope" one must now climb to "master this wizardry" in addition to learning the basics." ~ And if you rely on the "wizardry" you still need to know the "what and why's" of it all.

I don't mess with Dev.Studio, but my friends do. They imply it's a very solid product with few surprises... Why? Because it doesn't have all this "wizardry" built in..... (Just another case of "the turtle versus the hare" me thinks).... As I've said many times: Even after committing literally hundreds of hours to watching training videos, studying & learning a5..... I personally still give a5 two thumbs up with regards to "what it is capable of being & doing." ~ It (a5) just doesn't always deliver exactly what is expected! You have to wait 1/2 of a product cycle to get that feature..... (my opinion)

PS: If anyone here cares to comment regarding their first hand experiences using Dev. Studio vs Alpha 5, (in the context of this thread, regarding stability, bugs & unexpected behavior etc...) I'd be very interested in hearing your comparisons between the two products....
                              Last edited by SNusa; 02-25-2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

While I am loving that I have been able to accomplish many things using the Alpha wizardry, I keep worrying about what would happen to my application if Alpha goes away and now my app is full of proprietary Alpha stuff. And, although I bit on the Alpha solution due to things it seemed to be advertising about not needing to be a programmer to use it, I have often wondered how anybody without some programming knowledge would get around any buggy wizardry, or even accomplish much. I've had to use every programming skill I've managed to pick up to accomplish almost everything I've tried. And I was somewhat taken aback when I had to contact Alpha about something that didn't work and was then treated like they expected me to be a high level web / javascript programmer and that I should be able to figure it out. That said, I have been very impressed with the quick and often very helpful responses from the Alpha staff, and, again there is no way I would have come this far without the Alpha product, OR several months (or years) learning to develop all on my own.
                                Carol King
                                Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
                                http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

Working...
                                X