Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Desktop IS NOT DEAD! (Forum activity reinforces this!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Desktop IS NOT DEAD! (Forum activity reinforces this!)

Enrico: Your summary "echoes" my exact thoughts of "yesteryear." ~ The one exception is the "misses of important features."
    (I've never worked with File Maker, although it was a contender years back when Alpha's feature set originally "chose me.")

Possibly these features are there, but you have not "uncovered" them (yet) due to a5's depth and organization? ~ I'm curious: What are the missing features that FM has but a5 does not?

Note: If you dig into the desktop nooks and crannies with an ice-pick (as I have done), you will encounter numerous anomalies/unresolved bugs. Eventually you will develop a "feel of what is going to go wrong, along with why, and even a way to get around it. ~ I've always "fought" for the notion that: "It doesn't have to/shouldn't be like this." (A lot of nooks and crannies within the a5 code could & would benefit from a little "polishing.")

It never fails to amaze me how so many other developers become defensive of this, and take my posts as being negative!
    Am I complaining? I suppose (in a way) I am. ~ But it's for the common benefit of ALL users, and even the Alpha Software, in the "long haul."

(Besides, someone has to do it.) ~ Many forum members will (ironically) be pleased to know that I've predetermined to (try and avoid) becoming involved like this when "the ice-pick" comes out on the web side. (I'll take the easy road, and try to "put on the blinders.") ~ Which IMHO is the only alternative solution/practice/path, which so many others have presumably chosen to follow!)

I just like things to be "spot-on." My downfall with all software (and programming) stems from this belief: "Unless it's bug free, it's seldom good enough (for me.)" (Which I know is impractical at best in the "software world.") ~ Nevertheless, it's a good thing that the "chip makers" (Intel/AMD/etc.) along with the firmware developers shame my "point of view", isn't it!)
    Last edited by SNusa; 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM.
    Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
      Possibly these features are there, but you have not "uncovered" them (yet) due to a5's depth and organization? ~ I'm curious: What are the missing features that FM has but a5 does not?
      well, I start saying that the frustration for missing features drops drastically when I stopped using scritpmaker and I started coding manually. On the fly, I can tell you that I was bewildered by the missing of flow controls for the scripts, in other words there's no way to implement a loop, or a serious "if than else" without writing code. Ah! maybe you cannot sense this 'cos you are from USA, but you cannot personalize many controls that just speak english. ES: you can format a boolean with words "yes" "no" or "true" "false". well, maybe I would like to format "si" "no", "vero" "falso", "pagato" "in sospeso", "maggiorenne" "minorenne", etc...
      Ah! (2) if you want to put a lookup combo-box in a form (pay attention: combo-box, not edit-combo-box) you have to code dozens of lines... (basically, you must embed an xdialog in the form with all the code to access the lookup table).
      These were just the first 2 things that come to my mind.

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
      Note: If you dig into the desktop nooks and crannies with an ice-pick (as I have done), you will encounter numerous anomalies/unresolved bugs. Eventually you will develop a "feel of what is going to go wrong, along with why, and even a way to get around it.
      This is my way doing, too.
      Better, this is the only possible way if you want to be productive with A5.

And all this strengthens my point of view about the neglected marketing weight of desktop-side.

Bye! E.

Comment

Originally posted by getaguru View Post
        ..... I was bewildered by the missing of flow controls for the scripts, in other words there's no way to implement a loop, or a serious "if than else" without writing code. .......
        Fortunately, that statement is simply incorrect. If you look for flow controls for scripts to be used without code, look for the "Branching" category in the action script category selection box (left) and you will find several related commands as "Branch command", "Goto label" and "Insert label" with which you can make perfect loops and everything else you need for making all sorts of script flows when combined with conditions.

Comment

I hope Enrico returns to see your reply Marcel! ~ (From all my research & experience, I had doubts that a5 was missing features presently available in FileMaker.) ~ I don't recall that ever being a valid & substantiated complaint from anyone.....

Seems like "one's mind is about the only limiting factor with regards to using a5!" (As I see it: "The sky is pretty much the limit, otherwise!")
          ~Which undoubtedly is one of the extremely beneficial "attributes" which both defines (and stands out as) a major plus for the a5 "platform!"
          Last edited by SNusa; 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM.
          Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
          It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
          RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Well, actually, you are right, using labels you can create loops.
            I remind it from the time of my Commodore 64, when I used to have fun with basic and the "goto" command.
            Time passed and right now when you talk about flow control you have some more powerful tools, like for-next, repeat-until, do-while, select-case, if-than-else just to report the bases.
            All these are fortunately implemented in the A5 Xbasic.
            Unfortunately there's no trace of them in the scriptmaker tool.
            Sorry for my imprecision :-)
            E.

Comment

It is a thing that comes back often in life: if you are not willing to throw in the effort, you won't get back the optimal result as well. For every product there is a learning curve. Sometimes more steep then other times. In case of Alpha you will pretty soon start working on a hybrid basis with xbasic and action scripting, and pretty soon after that xbasic will become more important then action scripting all together. It's not that A5 is perfect (what ever is?) but it can be an amazing tool once you get the hang of it. Making bold statements before you do though, is generally not the wisest thing....

With respect to your last remark: you can create your own tools by making them into UDF's or stuff examples in your library and use them from there if things are not in the action scripting.
              Also, inline xbasic gives you the opportunity to embed pieces of xbasic in the action scripting... and you are already on your way to hybrid use of the both of them....

Comment

Enrico,
                The Action Script (AS) coding in A5 is quite robust. Yes, it also produces verbose code, but necessary to cover all the bases. I used AS for a long time (with complex loops and if-then methods) and slowly, through viewing the constructs of that code produced through AS, became acquinted with xbasic and xdialog. Without that Action Script coding system, many of us (me at the top), would not have been able to learn xbasic and how to write code manually. And I still use it to get me started much of the time.
                Mike W

Comment

@Marcel:
                  I agree 100% with your words about learning curve, action scripting and Xbasic.
                  I can agree just because right now I have turned to the right side, dropping the scripting, creating my functions and starting to be much more productive.
                  And believe it or no, sometimes I think to myself as a wise man. I don't want to point my finger now, but really wasn't me to cast bold statement, I simply replied in a corteous way to a corteous question.
                  Peace, Enrico

@Mike:
                  same way for me.
                  I repeat: it was not my intention to dispute against AS benefit. But its role as a main and complete system to develop application is really questionable. that's all!
                  Last edited by getaguru; 02-04-2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X