Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Best way to SIMPLY Network A5 ver11 over 2 or 3 sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best way to SIMPLY Network A5 ver11 over 2 or 3 sites

Thank you Ted - will do.
    Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
      Have a look at Synology NAS products.
      You can get your own server running off your router and access it from anywhere.
      I am using one to distribute software and moving on to hosting web apps soon.
      Not expensive and under your control.
      Beware of NAS if you're running a networked database. I recently implemented a solution for a customer using a Synology DS414 and he's having serious problems with intermittent slow running even with only a couple of users on the system. I'm planning to swap out the NAS for a standalone PC in the next couple of weeks.

I'm not certain the NAS is the problem, but we've tried swapping network cables and tuning other parameters without success.

Comment

you are using for your private use, then I will definitely look into teamviewer as suggested. it is free for personal use, logmein used be free but no more, then there is GoToMyPC all cost money.
        I have logmein pro at introductory price and teamviewer. both are similar but teamviewer is economical at least for now.
        thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
        mysql backend
        http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
        [email protected]
        1 914 924 5171

Comment

Originally posted by WokingJon View Post
          Beware of NAS if you're running a networked database. I recently implemented a solution for a customer using a Synology DS414 and he's having serious problems with intermittent slow running even with only a couple of users on the system. I'm planning to swap out the NAS for a standalone PC in the next couple of weeks.

I'm not certain the NAS is the problem, but we've tried swapping network cables and tuning other parameters without success.
          I concur with that.
          WAN or LAN network?
          I wouldn't suggest trying a WAN NAS or any type of WAN server, especially if you are running dbfs, if running SQL and not making sequel queries correctly structured, also be very slow. You want the result of queries, not the data itself, traversing the line. I'll second (or third) Teamviewer as the better option in a one to one scenario even where the "office" is networked, use one terminal for the purpose. Free way to thin client but not that fast. I believe there is a fast but expensive version.

Comment

Thanks very much Jon - message #17 - and Ghandi - message #18 - and Ray - message #19.

This is what makes this message board so valuable - lots of great experience to avoid the difficulties.

Arthur

Comment

Hi Arthur,
              I use a combination of products for my home or office files. GoToMyPc is useful for accessing programs at the office from home, but not something I would use for any development work - other than to transfer files, it has a nice feature for that. For large file transfers though I use the cloud product Hightail (formerly YouSendIt), but Dropbox is also good - and free. But I am not trying to do any serious data entry on my networked office system from home, and if I were, then I would probably look into Terminal Service.
              Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Maybe I am missing something here, but windows has a way to remotely run a computer that could serve the purpose.
                On my windows 8.1 machine it is found at: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\RemoteApp and Desktop Connections
                I have never used it, so test at your own risk.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

If you decide to do some kind of remote desktop, using the remote desktop feature in Windows or terminal server, you don't have to have a static ip. There is a way around that.
                  check out http://www.noip.com/remote-access. This is a service that provides a work around. You can do the free one, which you have to reactivate each month or do the annual service one for 19.95 per year. This is a service that I use because I cannot get a static IP address.
                  It requires that you put a small program on the host computer called DUC.exe. It continuously sends their master server an update on your current IP address. You fill in some settings on their server and viola you no longer need to know an IP address. You can get to your web server and/or remote desktop now by typing in: xxxxxx.no-ip.info where xxxxx is the name you setup on their server. You can get to remote desktop by typing that in from any browser or remote access.
                  Mike
                  Mike Reed
                  Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Sorry gentlemen, I've been away, and hence not been able to check the board or reply sooner.

Thank you Robin (#21), Dave (#22, esp given your previous help on the autoexec saga), and Mike (#23).

I'll shortly print this whole thread out and decide my ultimate approach from all the great help and suggestions above. I'll keep you posted.

Many thanks again to all.
                    Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                      Maybe I am missing something here, but windows has a way to remotely run a computer that could serve the purpose.
                      On my windows 8.1 machine it is found at: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\RemoteApp and Desktop Connections
                      I have never used it, so test at your own risk.
                      Yes correct. Heres a video from MS how to do it. And as per Mike Reeds suggestion (a good one !) this doesn't appear to require IP
                      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...tab=networking

Comment

Originally posted by WokingJon View Post

Swapped out the NAS this weekend for a core I5 based PC and the system is running extremely quickly. I'm thinking the NAS may have struggled with the random accesses generated by a database system especially as one of my forms includes a search on 2 memo fields.

Comment

Synology is usually pretty good, but you may struggle with it trying to manage the RAID if you are using that option.
                          A dedicated pc may not be a good comparison unless you are mirroring discs.
                          Also, 214SE has a limited processor, so the bigger blade setup might be more responsive.
                          See our Hybrid Option here;
                          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X