Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Confuse about runtime license...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confuse about runtime license...

Originally posted by ANiceGuy View Post
    Another question I really hope to get answer is, if I install alpha 5 on a machine, can I run my custom application on the same machine,without opening alpha five software to run it , and without needing to buy an RT or run engine license. It look weird for me to run my application in alpha 5 software.
    Tom already answered this question, but just to clarify. In the past, at least, Alpha stated that the RT and the full development version are identical - except that the RT could not create a new, or modify an existing, database. Basically they described the RT as identical to the full w. an internal switch set to "RT". As Tom said, you cannot create a free-standing exe w. A5. Actually, when you create an application in A5 there is nothing that is ever "compiled" - unless you create an aex file. And even that is not compiled, it just provides a relatively secure way of making your functions and scripts portable from one db to another. Note: aex files can be readily hacked by certain talented individuals.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Thanks for answering some of my questions. Look like platinum version did have some interesting features (other than SQL support). Look like platinum version is the way to go.

"If you install Alpha 5 on your machine, you do not need to install the runtime or run engine on your machine." -- I get what you mean. However, if I dont install runtime or run engine on the machine(which I install alpha 5), that would mean I need to open alpha 5 in order to run my application. This not what I want. I prefer to run my custom application without opening alpha 5. Alpha 5 is like visual studio .net IDE. If I want to run an application for my own use (made by visual studio.net IDE), I would definitely prefer to run it alone, rather than open the IDE, and run it from inside. (We usually run our application using IDE for debugging code purpose).

But I have not yet get the answer of how many machines can I install alpha 5 onto? Is it user based or machine-based? (I am referring to alpha 5 IDE, not the runtime).
      The ALPHA IDE can be installed on your desktop machine and your laptop if you have one. This does not mean you can give your license to someone else so they can install it on their machine. One license, one developer.

If you need to wipe your machine, you can remove the license from your alpha installation before wiping. Then just install again and it should work. If you can't remove the license before wiping the hard drive, if it doesn't allow you to install the license, just contact tech support and they can clear the license # to be installed again. This happened to me once and Alpha took care of it the same day.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      Barry Kucher
      http://www.411tech.org

Comment

Okay. Thanks. Actually my intention develop using my home desktop, and run the developed application in my office desktop.

Look like I will have to install alpha five to develop the applications using my home desktop, and install alpha five just to run the application in my office desktop.

If there is really a need, maybe I may consider buying a single user RT license seperately (which can be redistributed to run on as many machines as possible, correct me if I am wrong).

Thank you everyone for your help.

Comment

Look like I will have to install alpha five to develop the applications using my home desktop, and install alpha five just to run the application in my office desktop.
          Yeah. I think you can do that w/o buying any additional licenses.

If there is really a need, maybe I may consider buying a single user RT license seperately (which can be redistributed to run on as many machines as possible, correct me if I am wrong).
          I think that is correct. But read the wording of the RT license very carefully to make sure you are getting what you expect. Not that long ago you couldn't go wrong. Now it's much more complicated.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Actually there is something that is weird. I mean if a single user RT license can be runned on as many machines as we can, why do we still need multiple user RT license??

Comment

Actually there is something that is weird. I mean if a single user RT license can be runned on as many machines as we can, why do we still need multiple user RT license??
              I believe that the single user cannot be used in a network environment. IOWs, if you develop a network product to be used simultaneously by more than one person at a given site, you need a multi-RT. OTOH, if your product is a stand-alone program, you could sell 100 copies to a single company/site and 100 users could use it (but each user has their own local data set unrelated to any other user).
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                I believe that the single user cannot be used in a network environment.
                It can but not for a multi-user app, e.g. a single user RT app CAN access DBF files/tables that are stored centrally, but only one user at a time can do so... You can however still programmatically access and update SQL databases which makes it very useful for monitoring apps and other tools.

Comment

Ok. Thanks everyone. I made up my mind...A single user RT license is the way to go..since I am only creating a standalone app to be used by me only...

Thank you everyone for helping me make up the decision.

Comment

I made up my mind...A single user RT license is the way to go..since I am only creating a standalone app to be used by me only...
                    Not sure I agree w. you. Now you will need to buy the developers version and the RT. Since you are the only user, why do you need an RT?
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Not sure I agree w. you. Now you will need to buy the developers version and the RT. Since you are the only user, why do you need an RT?

I agree with you too. That is where I am in a dilemna, to buy a RT or not.
                      If I do not buy, I save some money.
                      If I buy, I can run my custom application on another machine (still used by me) without a need to install alpha 5. It just simply feel so weird to run custom application using alpha 5. alpha 5 is supposed to be an IDE for developing software, not for running software.

Oh by the way, I saw on the URL (broken link removed)​ that it cost $499 under the heading Alpha Five V9 Platinum Runtime Licenses. I was shocked that the RT for 1 user is $499. Tell me that this price include the alpha v5 itself + 1 RT license, rather than just purely the RT license.
                      Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 05-23-2023, 10:02 AM. Reason: broken link removed

Comment

Oh by the way, I saw on the URL (broken link removed)​ that it cost $499 under the heading Alpha Five V9 Platinum Runtime Licenses. I was shocked that the RT for 1 user is $499. Tell me that this price include the alpha v5 itself + 1 RT license, rather than just purely the RT license.

Runtime Bundles (No Active-Link Tables.) Buy Bundle #8 Alpha Five V9 + 1-User Runtime $699.00 $599.00
                        (INTRO! Save $299)
                        But again, it sounds like you don't need the RT. Remember, the RT is identical to the development version - except you cant create or edit applications.
                        Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 06-02-2023, 01:53 PM. Reason: removed broken link
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

You do not need the RT if you are going to be the only user and only need to use two machines. All that is built in to the developer version at no extra cost. If you want to use more than two machines you will need the RT, but only one machine can be used on the database at one time concurrently.

As to your question about reformatting and re-activating. I do this all the time. It a PITA but Alpha Software does accommodate this. I change machines frequently and re-install my A5 on new machines after retiring or giving away the old machine. I have to e-mail Alpha and they deactivate the old machine name for me and then I am able to re-activate. Since you get 30 days to do the activation this works out okay for me. As long as you are not trying to go beyond the licensing agreement Alpha Five will help you keep the licensing and activation after a machine change.

They tell you to just keep the same machine name and then it all happens automatically. But I prefer to name my machines uniquely at each generation. This the need to e-mail Alpha for help. Minor inconvenience but it works.

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by seaken64 View Post
                            You do not need the RT if you are going to be the only user and only need to use two machines. All that is built in to the developer version at no extra cost.
                            At just $100 extra it is very useful to have the single user RT though - especially because of the potential for writing little single user tools (after all you don't even need to use the dbf files for things like an FTP tool etc.).

Comment

Runtime Bundles (No Active-Link Tables.) Buy Bundle #8 Alpha Five V9 + 1-User Runtime $699.00 $599.00
                              (INTRO! Save $299)
                              But again, it sounds like you don't need the RT. Remember, the RT is identical to the development version - except you cant create or edit applications.
                              Thank you for your suggestion. Yup, I know that RT is identical to the development version except cannot create oe edit applications. That is why i am in dilemna. So ultimately I prefer to buy the RT license at very later date, should I need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X