Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

True Confessions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: True Confessions...

Hmmm...good food for thought...when I'm faced with something like this, I like to sleep on it a night or two. I also must ask myself why I am so compelled to tell them that I found the problem...is it a personal need to redeem myself by eliminating the deception? Probably. I will mull this all over and post my decision/and related reactions, tomorrow.

Good night, John Boy!

Comment

Wanda,

Actually for any possibily broad opearations that might destroy large swaths of data you ought to first make a data backup in case things go wrong. There can be a problem that happens due to a power outage or mistyped command. Nobody is perfect! Large updates or postings would qualify for this caution since they might overwrite existing data. Backups are your best friend.

You might thank the IT people for their help generously. If they have any experience they've made similar mistakes and should have some compassion. If they didn't help you, you might even make them feel bad by having a positive attitude. The kind of error you made is easy enough to see if you have a second pair of eyes looking over your shoulder in the first place. This is he kind of humility that all experienced IT people should have.

Tell them you will now go and shoot some crow for a crow pie and invite them to join in and watch. Next go to a nice place for some pie to celebrate your new education and attitude and those people who cared enough to join you. It will reveal much about the attitudes of those other people and you might have some friends besides.

Dave

Comment

Wanda,

We knew it was you all along :)

We also knew that you would solve it eventually. Either that or you would have had to switch to Access!

Nevertheless, take heart. Perseverance is the mainstay of success. As your persistent effort demonstrates great faith in the power and viability of Alpha, I'm sure there is a place for you in database heaven.

Respectfully submitted,
        Peter
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Wanda,

Glad you got it figured out. Those of us who never make mistakes (Hey, I can make you a great deal on a big ship!) knew you would get it eventually. Every ahah is usually followed by a duh, how did I miss that. If we were all so smart, every software program would still be on build 1 and there would be no need for product support.

Jerry

Comment

Stonewall. If that fails:

I can't recall those events

"I simply don't remember"

"Its not fair to attribute everything I said to me"

"My words were taken out of context"

"I checked my notes which record no such occurrances"

"olo Contendre"

"On advise of Balto Cpa (who's due for parole anyday now), I'm invoking the applicable enumerations under the fourth, fifth, ninth, and fourteenth amendmends.........."

"Sorry, my cab's here."

Comment

or

Live long, and prosper.
              There can be only one.

Comment

I love it. How about...

Who me?

Whatcha talking about?

I did nothing of the sort.

Why, I had no idea.

Surely you jest!

Well, I'll be... Why didn't you tell me sooner??

If you'd told me that in the first place, I wouldn't have done that.

Gollie, I thought I was supppsed to pres F-10 and then F-3 and if that didn't work, I was supposed to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete twice.
                TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

My decision has been made...I will merely print out this entire thread, provide a copy for my boss, tell him it's his bedtime reading. IF he reads it, he will become acquainted with you wonderful jokesters on this board, and will get the full flavor of why he should now give me a healthy raise! Well, okay - MAYBE that's taking the idea a bit far...

Approaching things this way, though, gets every important and unimportant point across quite well, I think...and it'll be off my mind.

Best of all - we all know now, that when someone else comes up with missing data, tell them to check all posts created within the field rules. When the person (I'll take a look for WHO actually mentioned to check my posts) mentioned to check my post operations...I took it literally and only checked the posts in the Operations card. Since I thought I still had work to do on the field rules post (which was evident by it not posting where I wanted it to post), I checked everything else in the field rules EXCEPT the POSTS!!! Aha! Duh!

You are all so very, very helpful and quite fun to boot! Thank you again for the hard work and for the humor :) I will let you know of any reaction that i get from my boss!

TTFN!
                  IHWHO!

Comment

Hi Wanda,
                    In reading this thread (a great diversion), I noticed your quote and had a comment...the ark may have been built by an amateur but it had an excellent Master Architect to design it! When planning your rebuttal, it is always good to keep in mind that we are not alone AND the outcome is not entirely in our hands. "God gives grace to the humble" - even to those of us who live in California!

Robin

Comment

Hi Robin,
                      You are so correct - and thanks for the reminder! Also, you cought the inaccuracy in that quote...the ark was made by ONE amateur, not by amateurs :) This has definitely been a learning experience - even in the spiritual sense...humility is one of the best teachers. Ever since I learned humility (and remember to practice it), life has become more meaningful.

Can I take a vacation, now?

BTW - where are you in Calif? I'm up north, right above Santa Rosa.

Wanda

Comment

And...
                        Don't forget to use this experience as justification to attend the next Alpha Developers Conference !!!

Comment

Very good point :>) If I can get other people to just take look at an (my?) Alpha application, they would surely be hooked...then I would have even more justification to go to the conferences...

I'm off to give my boss his bedtime reading...If he starts reading it right now, I will run back to my little cubby, crawl under my desk, hold onto the legs, while rocking back and forth, murmuring something unintelligible. That'll frighten him away from responding with any negative thought.

Off I go------->>>

Comment

Working...
                          X