Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

The Business End of Alpha Software for independent developers

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Business End of Alpha Software for independent developers

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
    Marcel,

I just expanded on your idea. Now, if you could talk to the boards on education and explain that the use of alpha is good to make the c# or other code for that business institution they consort with, would they accept that and put alpha into the equation for student study? I do not know your educational system over there at all.
    Yes, of course they would. Since they are not primarily interested in the tooling to produce the market standard code. They are just interested in the fact that in the end this market standard code is produced. Because that is what their customers (the business world) wants. The business also knows that tooling varies. What was hot yesterday is thrown in the bin tomorrow. The standard remains. For how long that is of course the million dollar question that nobody can answer right now.

Comment

Hi Marcel et al

I am an Alpha developer in the UK and, as far as I can tell, the UK Alpha operation never seems to have got going.
      At the v11 launch seminar in London last year, which I attended, there was great store being made of the Avanquest marketing of Alpha and the setting up of a UK Alpha developers network.
      However, unless I have missed something, both of these seem to have come to nought.

Obviously Alpha is well pushed in the USA but not in Europe - I believe that Richard Rabins would love to but has not found an effective way of doing it.

Anyway that's my "two pennorth" as we say over here.

Comment

I believe that Richard Rabins would love to but has not found an effective way of doing it.
        @Maurice
        I have asked the question about Avanquest, Maurice and got no answer whatsoever.

@Sean, I'm using Alpha to do a data migration between Oracle and SQL Server, so I offered the document the process so that Richard and his merry marketing people could make something of it.
        Seems not though. Obviously the bread and butter stuff is not nearly as sexy as messing with tablets. NFI in the project.
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I read through all of the posts in this thread and came up with a "Developer Survey". This goes back to my suggestion of having a Developer Symposium with the topic of "Improving Business Prospects for Alpha Five Developers Worldwide". People liked that idea, so the thought was to survey all of the developers in order to come up with specific objectives for a symposium, and then some plan to act on those objectives, turn them in to something concrete that does indeed "improve business prospects...".

So I have created a draft survey here: http://www.alphadevnet.com/survey.a5w. Please review and comment either in this post or to my email address (below). I am sure the survey will seem lack-luster compared to the discussions on this thread; but we can't tackle everything at once. I figure if it gets off the ground, the symposium will be a twice-yearly event with teams in charge of moving things forward. The appropriate sponsor for all of this is IADN since that group IS dedicated to the theme of the symposium.

So again, please review the survey at http://www.alphadevnet.com/survey.a5w and comment here or to my email address.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve

A good start, Q9 needs a negative response option.

Kind regards

Glen
            Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Good one Steve.
              I ran out of ink, but I hope my reply is taken as being positive.

Comment

Steve, I have read the draft survey, but I don't see how this fits in with the object of this thread, being "the business end of Alpha Software for independent developers".
                I mean, with regards to that object, who cares whether someone would fly 6 hours to get to a conference????
                This looks more like an inventory of the developers, who they are, what they do, that sort of stuff.
                I see how that information might come in handy, but I fail to see as to why this would be relevant to how we all could do better business with Alpha.
                Maybe you can enlighten me?

Comment

Marcel - then suggest questions either here or to my email address. The purpose for the 'fly to a conference' is long term, I'd like to have a real sit-down Developer's conference in 2013-14.

Ted - I don't see a reply. EDIT - Oh, I see you responded directly on the survey. It is just a draft and I did not expect anyone to submit comments yet.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve

I appreciate the effort you put into the survey. I believe the key information will be in Questions 2 & 3. The rest seems to be useful information about how Alpha Five is being used which is something we still discuss.

Thanks for doing this, I think it ticks all the boxes.
                    Regards,

John W.
                    www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

To remind the purpose of the survey, its a multi-step process, loosely defined below:
                      • Survey the Developers on what is important to them relative to the topic "Improving business prospects for Alpha Five Developers worldwide".
                      • Create some objectives out of the results.
                      • Float those objectives back to this thread, or perhaps a new one.
                      • Agree on some objectives for the symposium.
                      • Have the symposium with those objectives on the table.
                      • Discuss, get clarity, plan of attack, etc.
                      • Get Alpha Software's input and assistance (not a problem, already started)
                      • Do something regarding the objectives.

So again, please review the survey at http://www.alphadevnet.com/survey.a5w and comment here or to my email address.

And yes, the survey also asks some general questions designed to help better understand the developer and even non-developer base.
                      Last edited by Steve Wood; 12-12-2012, 03:28 PM.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                        Marcel - then suggest questions either here or to my email address. The purpose for the 'fly to a conference' is long term, I'd like to have a real sit-down Developer's conference in 2013-14.
                        Yes, fair enough! Will do so tomorrow Steve.

Comment

Steve,
                          Regarding the draft survey:

- Question 2 could be subdivided into three: Alpha Software, us Developers as a group, each of us as individuals
                          - I'd be more concrete in Question 6. Of course, the resulting list could be quite long.
                          - I would add:
                          * What type of target market should we focus? Something like company activity/size, application cost/development time ...
                          * What concrete tips or suggestions would you give that you think could help others bag an application. Such as: find companies that have MS-Access applications and propose to convert them to web. Or: do consulting services and automate their processes. Or: sell the solution, not the platform (as suggested by DaveM).

Thank you for all the effort you are putting.

Regards,
                          Felix

Comment

Oh, I see you responded directly on the survey. It is just a draft and I did not expect anyone to submit comments yet.
                            Steve- Can't hang about good buddy!
                            Anyway, UTCAA will have an opinion that they want aired, so I suggest you do what you want to do and not pay too much attention otherwise you will never get it done.
                            The bit about what I'd do and what I think Alpha could do is the most important bit as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                              UTCAA will have an opinion that they want aired
                              UTCAA? IAC!!!
                              Jo Hulsen
                              Dommel Valley Solutions
                              The Netherlands

Comment

Jo, it stands for Uncle Tom Cobley And All. Means everyone.
                                It's from an old English song "As I was going to Strawberry Fair"

You ought to see the replies I get when I put this in an e-mail to some gvmt. depts.

Comment

Working...
                                X