Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

The Business End of Alpha Software for independent developers

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Business End of Alpha Software for independent developers

Replied to you per email Steve.

Comment

Ted, thanks for explanation. Need to check if my wife knows that one.
      IAC can now be changed to IWC. I was confused!
      Jo Hulsen
      Dommel Valley Solutions
      The Netherlands

Comment

UTCAA can be easily decoded:
        http://abbreviations.yourdictionary.com/utcaa

But IAC?
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Googled and didn't find anything about it. My wife didn't know what it means until I explained, then she remembered the song Ted mentioned.
          IAC= I am confused
          Jo Hulsen
          Dommel Valley Solutions
          The Netherlands

Comment

You should know by now that Ted is a master at Acronyms.
            Regards
            Keith Hubert
            Alpha Guild Member
            London.
            KHDB Management Systems
            Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Ted,

I'm in a similar boat as Alpha Software. Too much on the docket and not enough hands. Managing a small business is hard and there will always be something, or someone, that gets missed. Maybe they are interested in your project but just can't commit to even commenting on it right now. Maybe it got filed under "interesting but not urgent".

Comment

This all happens because TCSTSHL

(Ted cant spell to save his life)
                Probably uses acronyms to tie his shulaisses.

Sean, I'm sure many businesses right now would love to have too much on the docket and not enough hands.
                So you are one of the lucky ones.
                Last edited by Ray in Capetown; 12-13-2012, 01:15 PM. Reason: "have"

Comment

Doesn't Ray converse well for a "colonial"!
                  Try this:
                  I have a spell in chequer,
                  It came with my pea sea,
                  I've run this poem threw it,
                  I'm sure your pleased to no,
                  It's to word perfect in it's weigh,
                  My chequer tolled me sew.

He doesn't wear shoes - he's a hippy. Ask him where he's been recently.

Back on thread. I have found that appealing to a client's insecurities helps sometimes and they are often too deeply involved that they fail to see the bigger picture.
                  They only see their bit of the diagram, so I try to help them along by a) studying their sort of business so they are not sure if I'm talking rubbish or not and b) offering the free prototyping. As I have mentioned previously, I've never had a client back out of a deal they were involved in Prototyping - it was too personal by then.
                  See our Hybrid Option here;
                  https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                  You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Although this thread seems to have ended up in a cozy little pub (nothing wrong with that) I wonder what creative thoughts people have come up in order to enhance sales/turnover/orders for our development business with Alpha Software?

Of course, "a solution" should be covering "a problem", and since it seems rather obvious that several "interest groups" within the forum population (such as: independent developers, developers on payroll, developers in the USA, developers in the UK, developers in the rest of the EU etc etc) have their own "problem definition" it seems only reasonable to predict, that there must as many "solutions" as well.

Thinking about the interest group of independent developers that produce and sell off-the-shelve software (let's call them DPOS for convenience) I think a major problem is getting your software "out there". Nowadays, everyone is on internet. For software it seems like a pre-arranged marriage for it to be sold on internet. Internet stores are numerous but most internet stores can't be found easily, and none of them are doing anything for you except putting you and your product "on their list". The best they do is offer you cross-listing, and of course they would have more then one "list" for you to appear on, and you would be able to improve on your location on the list by paying for that. Experience is, that this does not do much for you, since few customers look in lists for any software that is out there and they do not yet know about to see if it would be something for them.
                    Your average website is not going to work either, since you are one in a trillion and unless you pay for it, you will have a hard time to get found by customers on an attractive scale.
                    To top it off, marketing budgets will be limited severely, if they exist at all.

There you have it.
                    Many good products remain unsold simply because the customer does not know about them, and the developer can't afford to get the word out big time.
                    A major problem for DPOS developers, since they do not only have just ONE product, but more like at least ten or dozens of them who knows.

Some organizations offer listings of their own: so does Alpha Software and so does AIDN. And although that helps (or at least does not influence sales negatively) your potential customers are not likely to look in a listing supplied by some development platform manufacturer or developers organization. They are not purchasing the development platform, and they are not purchasing the developer. They want a product and are more expected to look for any products that fit their description.

To tackle this problem:

Would it not be an idea to combine efforts to create a completely new platform for selling software, that does not focus on the developer, or the language the product is written in, but simply on the product itself (without even emphasizing that it is written in Alpha Five maybe). Maybe even under just 1 brand name.
                    This platform could house all of the available products for direct sale to consumers or b2b, and/or even deliver services to it for installing etc etc worldwide, in all countries where developers are located that take part in the new platform. Marketing efforts could be done on a combined scale.

Of course, this is just an idea. Much to think about, much to discuss (or not....).
                    But without any ideas no solution will follow either I guess.

Comment

Hi Marcel

Would it not be an idea to combine efforts to create a completely new platform for selling software, that does not focus on the developer, or the language the product is written in, but simply on the product itself (without even emphasizing that it is written in Alpha Five maybe). Maybe even under just 1 brand name.
                      In Holland and Belgium there is one (as you probably know) www.softwaregids.nl and www.softwaregids.be Of course i have a listing there and also at other places.

I'm not a local supplier, but my main scope is national. For me high ranking in google.nl is much more important. For Steve's survey: would be good how many people think theire product aim's at an international scale....

I'm very happy with my listing in google.nl when a search is made for 'vastgoed software' (without marketing budget!)....

So, SEO is crucial in my opinion. Another sellingplatform would only be of importance if it would improve our listing as a group in google
                      Last edited by cptutrecht; 12-14-2012, 12:07 PM.
                      Ger Kurvers
                      Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
                      Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Comment

I kinda agree with Ger. If you notice small to major companies all over with their advertising, they make sure their .com, .org, .de, etc are very prominent in almost every ad they run in any type of media. Even a business card has the .com, etc on it. All advertising is aimed directly at the web. SEO becomes a very large part of our business.

I am also going to restate something I stated before but differently: I advertise my auto program in automotive DEALER trade papers and magazines. That alone has sold about half my production. I cannot afford to advertise in the dealer's side on cars.com or autotrader.com. They are just too expensive.

I do not spend any money advertising the free veterans Diabetic software because it is a free download. I don't even keep a good track of the downloads. I am sure it has passed 500 installs so far.

The race car application has been advertised on most of the racing sites across the nation. I won't follow that up until late January due to race schedules being rather blank until February.

Point being, SEO is super important!!! But, there are other ways too.

In most Cases, Alpha does not show up on searches I do in google over the first several pages. Then, alpha sells to private users and I am not sure they ever expected people to actually develop with it at their start. They sell a RAD solution. I do not remember large corporations being real familiar with clipper, pascal, basic, etc back in the day. I know all businesses wanted word perfect and quatro pro. They were advertised as a solution and programming languages were not.

Just memories. May mean nothing.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I did have an idea which I floated to a few UK developers, for a site where the applications could be advertised and there would either be links to their sites or a place to download their apps.
                          I think we agreed that there was not enough interest - not exactly apathy - so I joined forces with one of the USA developers and I'm camping out on his site at the moment with a link that I place on all my e-mails, letters and here.
                          If you haven't read what Robots look for on your site, suggest you do so. Working for me.
                          See our Hybrid Option here;
                          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Of course, on this forum, the common denominator is .... together.... hence, what attracts me first is what WE can do TOGETHER to improve our INDIVIDUAL situation. That does of course not mean the things any individual can do are not important, they might very well be the MOST important for that matter, and they surely must be named. But what sets this forum apart from being just an individual is.... being a group. So what adds to these individual solutions is more what THIS GROUP can bring towards the table that it has not until now. Which does not mean we should refrain from mentioning "the obvious" (at least, for the one who mentions it, everybody else could not be aware of it!).

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                              I did have an idea which I floated to a few UK developers, for a site where the applications could be advertised and there would either be links to their sites or a place to download their apps.
                              I think we agreed that there was not enough interest - not exactly apathy - so I joined forces with one of the USA developers and I'm camping out on his site at the moment with a link that I place on all my e-mails, letters and here.
                              If you haven't read what Robots look for on your site, suggest you do so. Working for me.
                              Did you find out WHY they UK developers where that lacking of interest? Was it maybe a matter of cost, or did they not see a benefit in it? Or (for example) are they mostly hobby-developers would could care less since they live on a pension anyway (to just name something) ? Why the lack of interest in your idea?

Comment

Actually, Ted,

That is not a bad idea. IADN does a bit of this. It could be an alpha type site or an open developers site. I like it.

Doesn't cost much per year. I currently pay about 60.00(cost would be a great deal more if powered by alpha was) a year for a hosting account that includes the .com name. If there were enough people involved that can send a bit of traffic there for their downloads, it could work. say, as little as 100 people sending only 20 people a year would be very good. If I sent 20 people there to download my product, maybe they would see something of yours and want that too. Or, need a developer to make something. If each person who got a sale/job out of it would contribute a bit, the whole thing could be a non-cost to the users. NitPick stuff would have to be worked out. That does not mean we would not maintain our own sites, but a separate site owned by all the members/users.

Who would be in to something like this??? Give some input??? You can email me at [email protected] if it would be better for you.
                                Dave Mason
                                [email protected]
                                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                                X